The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need cooking help... ideas for things to go with pasta!

As the title says, I need a bit of cooking help.

When I get tired of using rice as a carb to go with meals (I eat a higher in carb diet for weight maintenance), I'll normally use pasta. However, I just get so bored with what I can put with it.

Anyone have some relatively easy ideas for sauces/vegetables that would go with pasta?
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think you should rename this what doesn't go with pasta? LOL. I've found pretty much everything goes with it. I guess a better question would be are there certain things you don't like?

You can make all kinds of fun pestos like traditional basil, or cilantro, spinach, roasted red peppers, etc. Basically anything you want just blend it with some oil, salt, and a little lemon. Super easy and quick.

I just finished posting this on Alagirl's veggie thread. Broccoli rabe is a singular tasting veggie - some hate it, but I love it much more than broccoli. It can be served as a side with chicken, beef, or pork, and is heaven over pasta. PLUS its soo easy and fast. You can do Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe over pasta for a complete meal. I like shorter pasta for this over spaghetti.

Broccoli Rabe w/Garlic:

1 head broccoli rabe, cut in half, rinsed with water and left wet in colander
    2-5 cloves garlic, sliced
    Olive oil
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
    1/2 tsp salt

Use a large skillet with a top. On medium-high heat, add a couple glugs of OO. Add garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned, less than a minute. Add red pepper flakes and stir. Add wet broccoli rabe from colander and carefully roll it around in the skillet with tongs. Dont worry if you cant move it about much without it escaping--it will shrink a lot. Add a cup or so of water to skillet. Put lid on pan and reduce temp to low-medium. wait 2-3 minutes for the steam to do its work and flip the rabe around w/tongs. Add more water if bottom of pan is drying out- you want a nice bit of liquid in the pan. Sprinkle with salt. Put lid back on and cook on low until cooked, about 10-15 minutes max. Test for doneness by tasting a large stalk for texture. When done, we like it al dente and still emerald green. When done, drizzle more OO if you can handle the calories, and serve. numnumnumnumnum.

Delicious over pasta. Fabulous with italian sausage, which you can brown first, then add back when you add the rabe. Easiest is precooked chicken sausage-just add when adding rabe to reheat.

I add anchovy paste to the garlic before adding the rabe. Its an Italian thing, and it dissolves quickly, leaving a lovely briny depth to the sauce. But its optional.

MANGIA, MANGIA!!!

Leftovers make tasty sams with grilled chicken fillets or just fresh mutz (mozzarella) or provolone and maybe marinated sun-died tomatoes on good bread or a roll.

Also rabe makes great soup--its my DH's favorite, actually.

lentils, then you get some fiber in there as well. Just soak them overnight for dry, and mix them in with some chicken broth or water and let it simmer with the pasta.

Saute tomatoes, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and broccoli in olive oil or butter, then toss in black olives and thin-sliced pepperoni or Italian sausage for the last couple of minutes. Add or subtract items as you see fit. Works well over just about any pasta.

You can do the veggies in about the time it takes the water to heat and the pasta to cook.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Cacio e Pepe Pasta, aka cheese and pepper pasta. Cant get much easier! Its the Italian Mac n cheese.

This recipe makes 2 lbs, but you can wing it easily to taste. Use Locatelli Pecorino if you're using pecorino-its simply the best. You can substitute Parmagiano Reggiano for a milder cheese flavor. Can also add broccoli, arugula, and certainly Basil.

2 pounds dried spaghetti
    3 1/2 cups Pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated on the small holes of a box grater (about 8 ounces)
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into tablespoon-size pieces 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Bring a large pot (at least 12 quarts) of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 2 cups of the cooking water.

Return pasta and cooking water to the pot and place over low heat. Add remaining ingredients and stir until cheese and butter have melted and formed a creamy sauce, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, and serve with additional cheese if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by kris578 View Post
    lentils, then you get some fiber in there as well. Just soak them overnight for dry, and mix them in with some chicken broth or water and let it simmer with the pasta.
    Neopolitan Supper - lentils, curly pasta, tomato paste, green peppers, onion, garlic and italian sausage all baked together with parmesan cheese on top at end. Nice nutty flavor! and hearty this time of yr.

I see asparagus coming early in the markets right now - exc w/ pasta and chicken.

Zucchini - saute with onions and garlic and deglaze pan and top pasta! QUICK and easy.

Pasta ( I use farfelle) baked with ham and peas and a white cheese sauce - a different spin and yummy.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I like making baked fish with garlic and tomatoes and serve over whole wheat linguine. I make this at least once a week. Its easy.

Bake fish of choice at 400 degrees in glass baking dish with olive oil garlic and chopped or sliced tomatoe. I like capers too. Cook for 20 mins, serve over pasta. easy.

Here is something for summer, when you have a garden or farmers markets to get fresh vegetables - No Cook Pasta Sauce. This recipe is for just 2 servings so multiply as needed.

1 lb. tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    3/4 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp ground pepper
    1-1/2 to 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
    Parmesan cheese

In food processor or blender, combine and process all ingredients except
    cheese to make a rough-textured sauce. Toss with your favorite pasta and
    top with Parmesan cheese.

For variation you can add any of the following, to taste:
    chopped black olives; feta cheese; finely chopped fresh rosemary;
    chopped parsley; toasted pine nuts; thinly sliced prosciutto ham.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

My go-to meal when I have no ideas is to saute a bunch of veggies (bell peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, etc-whatever you like), toss with the pasta of your choice and add a jar of pesto as a sauce. You can top with Parmesan cheese and you're good to go! You can also sub the pesto for an olive oil-herb mixture.

Another good recipe is cheesy baked tortellini: Mix cooked Tortellini, ricotta cheese (I eyeball it) and a jar of tomato sauce until combined, pour into a baking dish, top with shredded cheese, bake until bubbly. Delicious comfort food!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

One of our standards is boiled egg pasta. Boil 5 to 6 eggs, depending on the size of them. Chop some garlic and fresh parsley. Chop the eggs and mix all of the above with some garlic oil, and mix with a whole package of cooked pasta, with long pasta like linguine or capellini being best. Feel free to add more olive oil to get a good coating. Please note that the egg chunks tend to gravitate to the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle generously with Romano or other grated cheese.

Serves one.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

My favourite is salsa verde... make a big batch as it will keep in the fridge for ages... goes well with anything from plain pasta to steak, fish, baked potatoes, salads, etc. If you have a food processor it's ridiculously quick to whiz up. Enjoy!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...es/salsa-verde
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Thanks guys! I'm excited to try all of these
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Thanks for asking! I absolutely need something different for pasta as well - these look great!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes