The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Oh I don't think anyone who lives here is "freaking out" about the storm, we are all pretty resigned to snow in the winter. The news, well that's another story. They need something to talk about.

2 members found this post helpful.

I rather like Snowmageddons and Snowpocalypses and so on. I like all the drama and excitement and sense of impending doom, since for the most part, as long as you have common sense, a snowstorm is not going to kill you. Instead you just get to drink beer in the front yard at 11 a.m. while shoveling and nobody judges you.

Again, this is for the most part--my barn's arena collapsed under snow load, I know people get killed from falling branches or car accidents, there can be tragic consequences from blizzards, etc. But we don't generally get hurricanes or wildfires or earthquakes or tornadoes, thankfully, so an occasional blizzard mostly just provides us with a hint of danger and then stories to tell for years about "you think this is snow, this ain't snow..."

This might also be influenced by seven years as a teacher, hoping every time the sky went grey that a Snow Day was coming...

This is the last time I acknowledged it being a legit snow storm in Buffalo: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3&l=d0494e0255

And how I usually feel:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3&l=9c9708bb89
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

2 members found this post helpful.

SarahandSam, the teachers at my daughters school used to burn a candle to the snow goddess in the teachers lounge. I cracked up when I saw it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

We have about six inches and it is heavy and wet and blowing sideways. Oh, and here's a Snowpocalypse Public Service Announcement: Light a couple of candles NOW, so when the power goes out you're not stumbling around in the pitch dark trying to find them.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

We're at nearly-whiteout conditions now. I can't make out anything on the house across the street save for the roof line. My dog went out for her last pee of the night and it was over her hocks—5 inches at the hock, but we're at 6 now. Not to mention it's blowing and drifting. We are still not at the peak of the storm, either!

I'm hoping to go see my horses Sunday and go for a snow ride!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in Ontario and we just had a solid 24 hours of snow - probably 18" or so total has fallen but seems to be subsiding now. It's been a light winter in terms of snow for the past 2 years, so we haven't seen this much snow since 2011. Luckily my neighbour helped me dig my car out so now we just wait for the plows. I am looking forward to riding in the snow tomorrow!

I'm about 20 miles NW of Boston. It's snowing but it's winter, so of course we should get some snow. Groomed the horse, walked the dog (met other people out on the conservation land walking their dogs), then came home. Soup is made, bread is in the oven, generator is gassed up (thank you to our friend who recently moved to South Carolina and left his generator with us) and fire is in the fireplace. I love a winter storm. (Just wish that no one was ever burt by them.)

I'm kind of glad that the media and the state are freaking out about the storm. At least it got everyone off the roads so the snowplows can deal with snow removal properly. In 2007 a Thursday afternoon snowstorm triggered regional gridlock extending as far as 50 miles from Boston on certain corridors. The storm dropped about a foot of snow. That's a lot, but it's certainly something New England road crews are capable of handling. The problem was that the storm hit around lunch time, and businesses let their staff out en masse at around 3. At that point the plows were just stuck in traffic along with everyone else. It took some people as long as 6 hours to get home that night. Little kids were stuck on school busses for hours. Parents couldn't get to daycare centers to pick up their kids. It was a mess.

We are at at least 19 inches, and the projection for our area was just upped from 18 inches to 30-35 inches. Snow was coming down at five inches an hour. Mr.Chief just went out and the snow levels are consistently over his knees. We have at least eight hours of this to go.

I agree with carp. There is a station I refuse to watch because of the drama the weather folks employ, but I am glad they got people off of the roads. Being home is a good place to be.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Not in New England but here in Michigan, We got at least a Foot, Thursday and thursday night. Thank goodness it was cold so it was powdery, I> ADORE my Jeep, I went out my driveway before even hitting it with the snow thrower!
    Hope everyone is safe and warm!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

All CT roads closed per the governor.
    Stopped snowing here in CT about an hour ago.
    !@#$%^ last shoveled the porch at about 10 but didn't come to bed until 2 a.m. Thanks honey.

We never lost power, thankfully, but it's going to be back breaking shoveling. And the horse needs doctoring so I'm not sure how that's going to happen. Chains going on the car after shoveling.

Can't tell if it's drifts or original snow but I'm seeing at least 20"

7:30 a.m. central mass... over 24 inches and still snowing...

On the shore, north of Boston. About 18 inches so far, strong wind gusts kept waking me up overnight night. We have several hours to go. The interesting part will be about 10 AM which is an astronomical high tide.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

we have a good 2' of snow here in western MA, hubs-to-be is out snowblowing. Seems to have stopped snowing here.

I was watching CNN this morning and they showed at least 30 seconds of pictures of Rochester, NY, and our terrible snow conditions. Uh, guys, I have about a foot of snow to shovel, but, the plows kept up and there are no power outages. This was not a blizzard for us, just a moderate snow storm.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Woke up to 35" here in CT and still snowing lightly.

Three feet of snow in my back yard. Still snowing. And we still have electricity!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

We have 2 feet-plus. I've seen the plows out at the bottom of our driveway but it will take a massive effort to get the driveway done. Luckily we have an industrial strength snow blower so won't be waiting for a plow.

Thankfully (since it's 12 degrees) we still have power. Will be keeping my fingers crossed all day that it stays on. We have a generator and tons of fire wood but it gets old fast to be on limited electricity.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

We're about 40 miles NW of Boston, near the NH border. It's hard to tell how much snow is out there because of drifting...I can measure only 6" in some places and over 3' in others...mostly at the front of the house, as we're across the street from a lake and the wind can blow unimpeded over the water. Wild guess on average is probably only about 18"-20". It's still coming down pretty hard.

We really lucked out, so far we've kept our power and have no tree damage this morning, unusual for any decent storm, as we live where there are very old trees hanging over the house, yard and power lines.

Old dog is miserable, she has arthritis and can't get through deep snow, my stepson is clearing her a potty path right now. Young dog is thrilled, she can't get over how much fun it is to bound through snow so deep only her head is out and she's really liking hiding in it (fortunately, she's black, so I can find her). She not yet two, so she's never seen a real snowfall, since the last winter (and this one so far) were so light.

Really not a big deal to most of us, though the media certainly likes to pretend it's the apocolypse. I think the driving ban was a good idea...keeps the dumbasses off the road so the plows can work. BTW, they are not enforcing it aggressively, cops can use their judgement as to whether you have a good reason to be out or not and, here anyway, it seems they are just telling people to go back home unless they are truly needed at work (convenience and hardware store staff are included in the "needed" category). IF I had an emergency (person or dog sick or injured), I'd probably just call the police and tell them the situation so they knew I was out.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    it seems they are just telling people to go back home unless they are truly needed at work (convenience and hardware store staff are included in the "needed" category). IF I had an emergency (person or dog sick or injured), I'd probably just call the police and tell them the situation so they knew I was out.
    If no one else is allowed to drive, why would these folks need to be at work?