The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

We have a good 2 1/2 feet ,with drifts as high as 4', of glorious white stuff. Had to let dogs out thru the basement door because we can't open the sliders. I will say I think I might need bigger dogs because I totally lost my Cattledogs in all this snow. My poor young one has never seen snow like this, so my older one promptly body slammed him and I think she was trying to actually drown him. I was laughing to kill myself! Not sure if I can get the horses out until later this afternoon after we plow all the gates and paths. I'm sure they will love it! Best part? We still have power! Knocking on wood

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie22 View Post
    I'm in Ontario and we just had a solid 24 hours of snow - probably 18" or so total has fallen but seems to be subsiding now. It's been a light winter in terms of snow for the past 2 years, so we haven't seen this much snow since 2011. Luckily my neighbour helped me dig my car out so now we just wait for the plows. I am looking forward to riding in the snow tomorrow!
    Same here but I think, according to what my husband said while blowing the snow, we got more than one foot. This morning is BEAUTIFUL! sunshine, white snow, blue skies and not too cold. Going to the barn later to enjoy the trails!!!
    And power never flickered!

2 members found this post helpful.

^^^ Same here, it really is Christmas card beautiful, brilliant, cloudless blue skys, sun glinting off the snow, and all the trees trimmed with white.
    We had to dig out all the barn doors again to get the horses out, but they seem to be enjoying it too.
    Now we just have to finish our coffee and head back out for more blowing and shovelling!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

We're still in the midst of it here. Still snowing, but the winds seem to e dying down, thankfully. The town plow only just did our street and now I have a WALL of snow at the end of my driveway, which is already covered in about 4' of snow (hard to say, with all the drifts). We're slowly digging it out (no snow blower). My little car is buried, only the upright wipers are sticking out, funny! Huge drifts everywhere. I'm glad I still have power and don't have to be anywhere but home, by the fireplace!
    And since I did not lose power, I am not complaining. This is how winter SHOULD be in Maine! I'm looking forward to bright blue skies and milder temps tomorrow, riding in the snow and getting the xc skis back out!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    This is cute but it doesn't give wind speed and wind chill.

I'm in a small town south of Lake Ontario/Rochester actually and I saw that Louise said she had at least a foot. She's up by the lake and gets lake effect whereas I'm far enough south (of the thruway) so I ended up with ~8". I measured the snow on the deck railing to get the estimate.

Fortunately the heavy wet snow we had Friday afternoon turned to light fluffy stuff by the evening. The light stuff is a lot easier to shovel/plow/snowblow.

Luckily, I finished blowing the snow from the front of the stalls this morning and started on the driveway when, unfortunately, I broke the handle/lever off that raises the snowblower. It's an easy fix but I don't think the dealership is open on Saturday in the winter.

Fortunately if I need the driveway plowed, I can call a guy that does plow for me when the snow is deep in the morning. I call him the night before and tell him if we get 5+ inches just come and plow the driveway and the parking lot by the barn by 6:30-7 AM. That way I'm not digging my way to the barn in the morning. He came this AM about 4:20 AM. The driveway alarm woke up the dog and me up. I disconnected the alarm and went back to bed. Surprisingly, we had about another 2-3" when I went to the barn at 7:15. Dog loves playing in it but is also pretty happy to come in as she has very short hair and almost a bare belly. She went out this AM with a sweater and a heavy fleece blanket.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Ugh, I just saw a post on Facebook about a barn collapse in Central CT...not sure what type of animals inside yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    If no one else is allowed to drive, why would these folks need to be at work?
    Much of eastern Mass is very developed and heavily populated, many people live within walking distance of basic stores, even where we are, it is only a mile and a half to a convenience or hardware store. People who need more food or things to do damage repair will walk. Back in 1978, when the driving ban lasted for days, we used skis and sleds to do our shopping

Plus, someone needs to have coffee and food available for the plow drivers and utility workers who are working very long shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Much of eastern Mass is very developed and heavily populated, many people live within walking distance of basic stores, even where we are, it is only a mile and a half to a convenience or hardware store. People who need more food or things to do damage repair will walk. Back in 1978, when the driving ban lasted for days, we used skis and sleds to do our shopping

Plus, someone needs to have coffee and food available for the plow drivers and utility workers who are working very long shifts.
    We're walking distance from a dunkin donuts, home depot, 2 grocery stores, and 3 gas stations, and I guess if you were really motivated a walmart...all of which are closed.

Ok pictures!!!

Here's what I saw when I opened my back door:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9244445...in/photostream

My back yard:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9244445...n/photostream/

My truck:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9244445...n/photostream/

Just so happy we have power!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    I will say I think I might need bigger dogs because I totally lost my Cattledogs in all this snow.
    Nope - height doesn't necessarily make a difference. There's about 18" new in my back yard. Have a very steep roof so it's always much higher around the house since it falls off the roof on to the steps/deck.

This morning my Irish Wolfhound cried to go out. Opened the door. Wouldn't budge. I had to go and get dressed to the nines, and make a path out the door so she could get through.

My labbies, on the other hand, would have leapt and bounded in glee.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

For us - it is a beautiful day.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6584961&type=1

Even though some of us were not very brave.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Lucky dog farm, First off, I envy you with Cattle Dogs/heelers. My last dog was a ACD/mix and the most wonderful heart dog.

CVPeg, I'm chuckling at your Irish Wolfhound not wanting to go out. My little 35 lb Shar-Pei/terrier mix with very short coat and almost bare belly could barely wait for me to get a sweater and blanket on her so she could go out and try to get the mice that are living under a bunch of fence posts!

I know why they call terriers terrors!!!!

Fortunately though I didn't have 18" or more in my yard either. Eight inches was enough!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

CVPeg, I've always wanted an Irish Wolfhound! They are beautiful creatures. Here are some photos of the Snowmageddon Coast. It was a wild night. The road is closed due to surf damage but we're snowed in, anyway, with a spectacular view of Mother Nature's tempest. The wonderful woman who owns the farm where my horse is boarded just sent me a photo of him happily munching hay, oblivious to the storm, so I'm grateful for that.
    Good Harbor Beach on a summer evening:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...m/DSC_0001.jpg
    Good Harbor this morning:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_jumpfl View Post
    Ugh, I just saw a post on Facebook about a barn collapse in Central CT...not sure what type of animals inside yet.

Dairy farm with cows inside.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    For us - it is a beautiful day.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6584961&type=1

Even though some of us were not very brave.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    I LOVE your dog! He's adorable! I have a thing for big fluffy dogs. My last one, Barney, was a dog of a lifetime, and the one I have now is right up there. They both have the same look as yours.

We got over two feet of snow, with drifts of over three. Some were even bigger—I attempted to get my snowblower going, and had to blaze a trail to the garage. The snow was up to my waist (I'm 5'1.75") and my feet were not on the ground! There's still more shoveling to do, but there's nowhere to put the snow. I need a flamethrower!

We probably got about two feet, though it's hard to tell with all the wind.
    Here's the view out the kitchen window:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q...3_backyard.jpg

Here's what the driveway looked like (the truck is now shoveled out and we'll be able to get it on the road once the snowplow berm is gone):https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S...3_driveway.jpg
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    Dairy farm with cows inside.