The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The level to which the north east (which, last I checked, was in the NORTH EAST) is freaking out about a projected snowfall of one to two feet is mindboggling to me.

I am only 33, and yes, children, there was a time when the glaciers still existed and some white stuff called "snow" fell in the "winter."

http://yo​utu.be/i6​zaVYWLTkU

3 members found this post helpful.

Massachusetts is now closed. No public transportation, no roads, businesses were supposed to close at 3. The wind is bad and we have about 4" of snow from the last hour and a half.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Remember that this heavy, wet stuff is called "heart attack snow" for a reason. If you are shoveling, go slow and take plenty of breaks.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

So, SO glad I left New England at 17, never to return. I hate the cold, I hate the snow, I hate the hills and heavy woods that block out the sun, I hate the dark, overcast days. I hate not being able to turn out horses, rock hard footing, dismounting only to have your ice cold feet shatter into a thousand pieces when they hit the ground. Ugh.

My brothers still live up there and I'll be keeping tabs on them. They had the last laugh a couple years ago when Maryland got way more snow than New England.

If it weren't for my government job, I'd be moving to Aiken.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Back in the early 90's I was caught in a blizzard in Boston while on business. Lucky me my hotel was the Four Seasons, for 2 days all the guests ate breakfast/lunch/dinner together. One night walked with another couple a few blocks to the theatre to see Guys and Dolls . . . yes, the show did go on. Nathan Lane played Nathan Detroit. It was a fun few days.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Snow started about 8AM here. Roads were initially okay to drive on, the pavement just wet. Got the last few things 'in case' like filling the spare propane tank and buying more dog and cat food, even though they had enough left for a week or so. I kept having to remind myself don't just think about the length of the storm. Remember Irene? Over in a day, without power for nine days? Cold showers? No gas at the gas stations? No traffic lights? Not being able to get money out of ATM machines? Then I stopped feeling I was being overly anal about the pet's food, the large stack of firewood in the cellar for the woodstove and the numerous gas cans I'd topped off for the generator. Came home and started freezing containers of water, so if the power goes out freezer become a cooler for all the food I stocked up on. By 10 there was slushy/icy build up. Any hilly, curvy, bridge rich roads were treacherous. No evidence of salting, sanding or plows having been in the area. I turned back before getting to the 9% grades on the route to where my horse is boarded. Now the wind is blowing, snowfall is horizontal, roadway is covered and...a plow just went by! First one I've seen or heard today. Can still see the woods across the road, but friends on the shoreline that live in tight beach communities say the storm is really starting to pick up. They can't see their neighbors houses.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

I am amused at the over the top hysteria of some of the news stations.
    Okay, its a big storm. But how many times can you say that? And do you really need to have reporters standing out in it in different parts of the State? Yeah, I want to know what is going on, but continuous coverage?
    Well, I guess it is engrossing to some people stuck at home.
    I did some cleaning and graded some papers. Then I gave it up and found a trashy paperback to read. And I have been snacking too much.

Have maybe 4 or 5" now and it is starting to snow heavier with more wind now. Love my neighbor who stopped by to tell me he will clear my driveway with his snowblower tomorrow! As long as I dont loose power I can enjoy the storm.
    BTW The storm seems to have two names of different genders! One station calling it Nemo, another Charlotte!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Remember that this heavy, wet stuff is called "heart attack snow" for a reason. If you are shoveling, go slow and take plenty of breaks.
    Uh, besides 'heart attack snow', it's also 'back-breaking snow' and I have a bad back. I think I'll be using the heating pad all night. I'm guessing we have ~3" so far and I've already pulled the snow away from the dutch doors that lead to the sacrifice paddocks, used the snowblower on the driveway and what snow I pulled from dutch doors. Just finished at 5 PM. Will probably go back out about 7-7:30, check horses for hay and water and pick up stalls and then blow snow again from driveway. Then I'm going to hope it's not too bad for when I do the 10 PM hay, water and pick stalls check.

I sure hope my little dog can navigate through this. She did manage the Dec snowfall of about 24" but that was a light fluffy snow-not a tree bending snow like we are getting now.

I did call my snow plow guys to do me in the morning so I don't have to try to get through ~5-8" or more that's supposed to fall overnight.

I have all you New Englander's in my thoughts. Stay safe please.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I'm in Ontario, about a hour NE of Toronto. The snow started here yesterday morning, and has been steady since about 3pm yesterday. We have probably 24" and it's still snowing. Our town is still up and running though.

Check out this Picture.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

2 members found this post helpful.

We are in the predicted 30+ zone... But only 3 inches so far.. Light, fluffy and blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    I am amused at the over the top hysteria of some of the news stations.
    Okay, its a big storm. But how many times can you say that? And do you really need to have reporters standing out in it in different parts of the State? Yeah, I want to know what is going on, but continuous coverage?
    Well, I guess it is engrossing to some people stuck at home.
    Hah, thats why reporting on bad weather in CA is so amusing. We get all these "SEVERE STORM WARNINGS" for a little bit of rain. CA doesn't know how to deal with any real weather-so whenever I see the news in the winter I always imagine the east coast is laughing at us.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like much fun over there right now. So everyone stay dry and safe!

I'm about 14 miles west of Boston. We have had steady snow all afternoon but the winds are much lower than initially predicted. I hope it stays that way because I could really do without another power outage. Living without heat this weekend would NOT be fun.

I checked on the horses at about 1 and they were spooky but fine. The tricky part is that they've banned driving and my husband informed me about half an hour ago that he'd put my xc skis in storage! I was counting on using them tomorrow morning.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I'm in Western MA, and it's (surprisingly) not too bad here right now. Furious winds, yes, but maybe 3" of snow? I believe we're supposed to be really hit overnight, but so far so good... knock on wood!

Snowing like a B*st*rd here now! Just brought the horses in and the wind is certainly starting to pick up. Will go back out at 8.30 to give more hay and water.
    I can almost guarantee we will loose power and without a generator that means no water, heat or stove. Ugh.... But with all that said it sure is beautiful out!! Stay safe all my fellow New Englanders

I'm not in New England, I'm in Eastern Ontario. We have about 6 inches here. Grocery stores fully stocked, just another winter day. I grabbed chinese take out on the way home, and a 1.5 litre of wine. We'll settle in to some movies on tv tonight, and bring out the snowmobiles tomorrow for some fun!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by Paige777 View Post
    I'm in Western MA, and it's (surprisingly) not too bad here right now. Furious winds, yes, but maybe 3" of snow? I believe we're supposed to be really hit overnight, but so far so good... knock on wood!
    I am finding all the fellow western MA-ers through this thread...hello from Westfield!

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I am finding all the fellow western MA-ers through this thread...hello from Westfield!
    Hello! I went to Westfield State University and just moved to the Berkshires about 2 years ago! I'm still in Westfield weekly for rehearsals, though.

I'm in SW Ontario, about an hr from Buffalo.
    I spent all day yesterday getting ready for the storm, bringing in wood, getting hay, filling extra buckets with water 'just in case', filling up with gas, getting gas for the snowblower and so on.
    My husband had left on Weds for a number of shows in Boston and other NE spots... so I was NOT looking forward to being here alone with all that snow. Me, ten horses and a huge snowfall is just not as much fun as you might think.

Luckily my husband cancelled his shows, and drove back home last night, and luckily the storm held off for his drive up I90.
    It was supposed to have started yesterday afternoon.
    But by this morning we had about 6" and it has been snowing steadily all afternoon, with about 1 foot so far.
    The 'snow day' has been spent shovelling, plowing, snowblowing, soaking wet hats, gloves, etc etc.

Some once called winter 'nature's make work program' and that it is.
    Still we have a nice warm woodstove, the power is still on, poor tired husband is sleeping on the couch.

It could be worse. Stay safe everyone.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    The level to which the north east (which, last I checked, was in the NORTH EAST) is freaking out about a projected snowfall of one to two feet is mindboggling to me.

I am only 33, and yes, children, there was a time when the glaciers still existed and some white stuff called "snow" fell in the "winter."
    Ditto. I grew up in upstate NY. Dad lived in Old Forge, a huge snowmobiler destination. A couple of feet of snow wasn't that big a deal. Yeah, I get that the wind will be a problem, but it's not that uncommon.

The year we moved here, we had blizzard conditions on Halloween and got maybe a foot of snow. Driving in it sucked, but I had to get home from my brother fixing the 4WD in my truck. The year before, it was snowing when I got home from work and my little Samurai was nearly snowed in in the 1/2 hour it took to change and take the dogs out before heading to the barn to help with the dairy cattle. The next morning I found my little Brown Swiss heifer's calf hutch was almost completely buried (she was nice and cozy without a care in the world!) after we trudged 1/2 mile in waist deep snow to milk cows. They had stopped plowing the roads around midnight because the visibility was too bad for the plow drivers. Couldn't open the storm doors on the old farmhouse- had to go out the (overhead) garage door. My dogs were appalled that I expected them to relieve themselves on the dirt floor of the garage- if it has a roof it's indoors, and my meticulous Shar-pei's did NOT pee inside.

I'm so glad I don't live there anymore. I'll take the summer heat over snow anytime!

All you NY and New Englander's stay warm and pray for no power outages!

I live a 1/2 mile from Boston harbor and the wind has really picked up. There's snow plastered on the side of my house lol and going outside is not super fun. Hard to tell the totals as of yet, looks like about 6 inches, but the air is white with blowing snow. Supposed to get 4 inches per hr soon blech.