The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default SNOWMAGEDDON / SNOWPOCALYPSE

Since OT day seems to still be up - any reports from my fellow New Englanders? Snow is coming down steadily in Boston and is already covering the ground Don't even bother trying to buy milk or bread. My grocery store was sold out of bread at 5:15 last night.

I headed straight to the liquor store this morning - they had plenty of wine!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm in SE PA so we're not expected to get anywhere near the amount that New Englanders are supposed to get, but I thought I'd chime in and say that here there is a light steady rain going on, making me extremely jealous of those getting snow right now!

I love snow.

Currently eating ice cream for lunch and watching the dog prance in the snowdrifts in the yard.

The world in our neck of the woods seems to be planning to shut down for tomorrow. Soon I'll get the crock pot going and make something for dinner and when hubs-to-be gets home we'll light a fire.

Still got internet so life is fine.

Went to bed with a prediction of 18-24" (Saratoga NY). I still have yet to see snow. All the schools closed, and now we may get about 4-6" tonight. I want to be a weatherman, you can be so wrong and not lose your job
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

2 members found this post helpful.

just got back from town and the roads are pretty greasy. watched an asshat in a winter beater truck speed his way though town showing off and fishtailing. hope he only hurts himself when he loses control.
    hurrumph.
    but we're ready i think. i stocked up on library books, cream for coffee and cookies,lol.

i just looked up at the snow outside and it's blowing in two diffferent directions! visibility is very poor and the flag is wrapped around the pole again. it sure is windy out there!

Hopefully those folks that got clobbered by Sandy and are considering rebuilding on the same site will heed the wake-up call they're getting about their vulnerability.

Hurricane Hazel opened the eyes of many along the NC/SC coast. Of course the next generation forgot it all.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

It's sunny and 60 today, but definitely thinking about you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I'm glad you have your priorities in order !!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Snow started at about 10 a.m. here and is gradually picking up in intensity, though we only have about an inch so far. Working from home so I snuck off to the barn to ride this morning. I am not expecting to be able to get to the barn tomorrow at all.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Just heard that Mass roads are closed as of 4pm today except for emergency vehicles. WOW! Snow is still coming down only lightly. Nothing serious yet.

We have about 6 inches here, DH said that it was snowing when he woke up to put the dogs out at 0500. Weather guys says that we're supposed to get between 8-14 inches by tomorrow. Under Winter Wonderland Advisory until 1 tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    oh for a good snowstorm settled in for a night with stingers! and wood heat!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Nemo just passed by here and left 2 inches of rain behind. I'm in SE Virginia. It's still pretty windy. I shudder to imagine if this had been snow.

am in DC; got nothing here but 30,000 people out of power. (seriously. i guess poopco didn't want us to feel left out of all y'all's fun.)

checked with the 88 yo mom in NY; she's all bundled and stocked up on wine too.

I came home with a work laptop and external hard drive at 12. Driving home was okay, roads were wet and the snow started coming more and more the closer I got to Boston (I live just north of the city). But, not anything treacherous. It's currently snowing pretty hard now, it's finally sticking to things other than grass and dirt, and the wind is picking up.

We're supposed to get 18-24" with isolated pockets of 30+"...I am wishing I had gone to the liquor store!

I am living on the coast in New England and my horses are boarded and safe away from here. For the first time in 25 years, I'm not freaking out over shoveling paths to the pastures and gates, making sure the water doesn't freeze, and worrying about everything in the barn.
    It is ferocious here on the ocean and the storm isn't supposed to hit in all its fury until tonight. The wind is coming in straight off the Atlantic like a jet engine and the snow is blowing horizontally...truly nature in all her wild glory. Tonight should be something else with the surf, tide and blizzard. The governor has closed all roads starting at 4 pm. I lived in Maine for 10 years and we saw some pretty big storms. I think this one will rival those. Stay safe, New Englanders!

My location is getting lots of wet snow, but, luckily, we won't get the wind. I'm near the shores of Lake Ontario and we're supposed to get more snow than my neighbors just a few miles to the South of me.

This little guy decided that he wasn't going to let a few flakes of snow stop him from fueling up. http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL72.../405573473.jpg
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

3 members found this post helpful.

Stupid blizzard! Just a dusting here, but the wind is picking up. Weather people are predicting 60+ mph winds tonight. See what everything looks like tomorrow. I picked up a roast on my way home, so cooking now Hopefully won't loose power...

The horses just started a "rumble" and are showing off in the snow--they always think it's the occasion for a party! They're all in favor, esp. because the "lava rock" footing of late has not been easy. Driving a very poor idea. Saw an asshat trying to JOG down the middle of a snow-covered road, in traffic which has no brakes. Darwin may "friend" him!

We're chillin'!

1 members found this post helpful.

Started at 5 am or 6, just snow coming down persistently. Its now going in many directions, is fast and looks mean, not like this mornings fat stuff. This is driving and hard and small. Skipped work because they announced extra trains at noon and then cuts of service at 5 and beyond.
    The mayor wont close anything, he doesnt want to pay the workers for a day off.
    It will be in the 40s on Monday, so I expect even feet of snow will melt.
    If we can avoid ice/wind power outages we should be okay. I am *tired* of every blinking emergency preparedness. Screw the terrorists, snow, hurricanes etc. I don't want to have to be this organized.
    I want cheese please to go with my whine.