The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It was good, but I saw several bobbles...as in bobbles to not make it a 17. Isn't this the issue with the US not being competitive Internationally? What gets an 84% in the US does not get an %84 elsewhere...?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    It was good, but I saw several bobbles...as in bobbles to not make it a 17. Isn't this the issue with the US not being competitive Internationally? What gets an 84% in the US does not get an %84 elsewhere...?
    Thank you for saying it. It was a LOVELY test. Very accurate and obedient, but I did not see the "Wow!" factor that should make it a 17/84%. Just a nice, steady, accurate test done by a lovely horse and a great rider.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Thank you for saying it. It was a LOVELY test. Very accurate and obedient, but I did not see the "Wow!" factor that should make it a 17/84%. Just a nice, steady, accurate test done by a lovely horse and a great rider.
    I saw the test and thought it was a lovely accurate ride.... reminded me alot of watching Totalis live in his first ride at WEG in the GP test. No it didn't have the wow factor, but what Pollards ride had, like Ed Gals was the accuracy and the really lovely transitions. That was what impressed me about both rides, the transitions were just about as good as they can get. The riders threw nothing away. And rode a lovely test.

FWIW I felt the same as some posters here (lack of the wow factor) when I watched Totalis in the GP. I mean the extensions were WOW and the quality of gaits were wow, but the over all picture was a quiet, harmonious test that just flows.

Note that I am not equating Gal to Pollard not Pollards horse to Totalis. If that's your impression of my post then I'm not communicating effectively. I am saying that my impression on watching the 2 different rides was the same. I
    saw an accurate test with really wonderful transitions. And I think many event riders don't realize how much a transition can factor into the score. They tend to think a killer trot lengthening is going to get a high score, but if you have a crappy transition into and out of that trot lengthening then you are going to get a lower score.

I don't watch eventing tests at I levels to know what a typical 20 looks like. So I have ignorance there. But I would guess that for folks that think that this was not a high scoring test they are perhaps missing the mark on what the training scale is about and the dressage test is about. Perhaps for those who say that this was not worth a 17 they could post I level tests that were a 17 or a 20 to provide that perspective??

2 members found this post helpful.

just goes to show that even horses that aren't extravagant movers can place high! Sometimes I think this gets overlooked.

1 members found this post helpful.

The biggest WOW factor there is is a horse that is pure in his paces, steady in the bridle, rhythmic, engaged, and ACCURATE. The toe flicking is just icing on the cake. Everything I mentioned should always be scored higher than anything else. Glad to see it being rewarded.

9 members found this post helpful.

I know Mensa personally. He has a KILLER trot in person, but its very hard to get him to relax in the dressage ring. I think what Michael accomplished here was a relaxed, smooth and accurate test.

Just think what kind of score he will get once he pushes Mensa a little further. I'm telling you, he is impressive to watch.

Snoopy, I couldn't agree more.
    Twin Pond Farm

Visit us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Twin-...884209?fref=ts

snoopy said it best