The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cinician? James Shaw

someone from our GMO brought up this name as a possibility for a clinic. His clinics are titled "ride from within" and incorporate the concepts of martial arts body control with riding. I'm looking for any input - if you know him, have ridden with him, etc.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

2tempe...I pm'd you.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I'd be interested, too. He's offered clinics around here. So far, it doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, though I could use some "body control".

I boarded at a barn that had a relationship with him, I participated in a 2 day clinic and did not find it at all helpful.

He is not a dressage rider, or "rider" at all, lol, so don't go in with a mindset of a traditional dressage clinic. He studies Tai Chi. I myself find it helpful to incorporate how a martial artist applies body awareness and body controls to riding. There is definitely a positive correlation between them but you do need to be able to think, and think, and think outside of box. I audited one of his clinics and it helped me in my riding overall. No, it didn't fix any specific problems, just "general" riding.

I participated in a groundwork session with him last month, and am doing a full-day clinic, including riding, this weekend. He doesn't teach dressage. As someone else said, he has a tai chi and martial arts background. I found the groundwork (person-work!) very helpful for breathing, relaxation, and body/position/overall posture and equitation awareness. I am generally not into anything "woo-woo" and I don't drink anyone's KoolAid. What he teaches about balance and your perfect position for tai chi and how it relates to balance and position in the saddle makes sense to me. I take regular dressage lessons and I compete as an amateur at first level, but I also think this is helpful for me long-term as a rider, to give me additional tools and ways to think about how to use my position, and where I tend to tense up, and how to prevent that. I have a very bad back and nerve damage and pain, and I am looking at it as something that may help keep me comfortably in the saddle for many years to come no matter what kind of riding I do, and for ways to sit better in my office chair, pay better attention to how I'm standing, walking, bending, etc. YMMV!
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    2tempe...I pm'd you.
    Thanks so much.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........