The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stall fans....which would you do?

so the little ghetto barn has a new raised roof. (raised: yes. finished properly: no.) Deadbeat contractor did not do this properly, so there is repairs/redos to be done, but now that the height is raised, I wondered: My original plan was to have the enclosed motor/wet area 18" fans at the front of the stalls, say in opposite outside corners facing into stall center from ceiling height----NOW, ceiling above stalls is SOOOOO much higher. So, if you? had the choice/option of : stall fan at front of stall at door height/higher facing down or exterior rated ceiling fan centered over stall instead....which would you choose? I admit, I'm leaning more toward the original plan anyway? because I know my pony enjoys the 'mane blowing' effect from a closer fan...as well as, the stall windows would be opposite wall that way, so? I'm expecting better ventilation? But...I hadn't ordered my fans yet, and now realized I had that option with the raised roof/ceiling in the stall area. Wanted opinions!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

self serving bump? after 70 some views, and no replys...maybe being a Saturday? might be more to catch and get some input from....
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

I don't have overhead mounted fans but they look like they would work well.

I would think that the closer to the fan the horse is, the greater the cooling effect.

I'm also thinking that a higher powered fan mounted closer to the horse may help keep the flies from bothering the horses legs, if it is possible to do it that way.

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Our stall fans are mounted at the top of the stall walls, angled so they blow down into the stalls. Works great and I prefer them to the kind that get mounted on the stall doors closer to eye level.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

thanks....sounds like what I'm expecting to do...but I never had the opportunity before to even consider the 'ceiling fan' types, and with the added height, certainly could now.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

We put ceiling fans in our barn and found that they definitely made a difference as to how cool it was in there especially on a hot day. I think they do a better job of circulating the air vs. a box fan that is more direct where the horse benefits more if standing in a certain area it is pointed. The ceiling fans made the whole barn feel nicer and we only had 2 installed for the five stalls we have. Should be really nice in there once we get all 5 stalls with them in there!

Properly sized and installed ceiling fans really do a nice job of moving air through a barn, not just blowing air on a horse. However, (depending on the air flow in a barn) I still prefer stall front fans. Why? I find it difficult to clean ceiling fans and they can collect quite a bit of dust/cobwebs. Also, it's easy to inspect/replace stall front fans. OTOH, ceiling fans may have longer lives and be less of a fire risk. Also, when horses stand in front of their personal stall front fan, the briskly moving air helps keep the flies off of them--you can't get that effect with a ceiling fan.

Been in barns w/all of these. Stall door fans are a pain to get in/out avoid cord I would avoid, overhead is out of way of nosy horse noses and gives a good breeze, ceiling will move air slower but more constant. I would do OH or ceiling depends or price & which motors can be sealed good against dust.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Ceiling fans! Less noise, less energy, less hazard, and they keep our horses very comfortable in hot weather.
    Carol

www.HorseGiftsandArt.com offers a unique selection of horse art, jewelry, gifts, plush horses and equestrian home decor