The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

FWIW, I got my last Abler omeprazole shipment in ~1 week, but the previous shipment was affected by hurricane Sandy, so it took 3 weeks to arrive. Both standard shipping. I would give ranitidine while waiting for your Abler order to arrive.

Ranitidine worked very well for my mare, I saw a difference in just a few days. My vet suggested a 3x a day treatment but I could only manage 2x a day and it worked just fine. It was about $25 per week.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Default behavior changes with ulcers?- Im the "friend" with the horse having issues

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up not doing OTC Omeprazole and decided I would take that myself. I think I'm developing an ulcer with all this extra stress! I picked up prescription strength Ranitidine from the vet yesterday and started it. Barn hands are adding to morning and evening feed and I'm doing the 3rd dose.

Now to add to this whole saga, I know some behavioral changes occur with Ulcers, horse doesn't feel well, he gets cranky. But can an increase in severity cause extremely erratic behavioral changes? I'm talking from sweet, loving, licked your hand and rested head on shoulder to cranky and pissy (which is characteristic) to becoming flat out dangerous. He actually tried to kick someone when they put on his blanket, bit girl 2x, broke out of crossties, got loose and it took 4 people to catch him. this is all VERY out of character for him. He has been handled by kids before with no issues. I'd like peoples opinions on the extent of behavior changes as well. I ordered the Canadian Omeprazole but started the Ranitidine 3x a day for now. Also, thoughts on endoscopy?

I would definitely say the behavior changes could be ulcers. I did not scope my horse as I was told that the scope can't see all the ulcers, so its not definitive, and its fairly stressful for the horse (which can't help with ulcers).

1 members found this post helpful.

I did scope my mare when *I* suspected she had ulcers (the vet INSISTED that she didn't, so I trailered her to the clinic myself). Here are the endocope photos: www.photobucket.com/ulcers

Even though the scope can't identify ulcers further than the stomach, its still a very useful tool in trying to diagnose ulcers, and it will tell you how severe they are in the stomach, if the horse has them.

One particular downside is that you must fast the horse for 24-36 hours prior, so the stomach is completely empty when they scope. On a horse that already probably has ulcers, this is going to be very uncomfortable for them.

That being said, if you absolutely want ot know FOR SURE, if the horse has gastric ulcers, get the scope.

If you're certain enough that you can live with paying for the medication for treatment without knowing FOR SURE, skip the scope, and just treat.

I scoped my mare because after 8 days on GastroGard, she had improved NONE whatsoever. Because my vet at the time said that she would've improved it if was ulcers, and I was almost certain that it was ulcers regardless of the fact that she didn't show improvement in that amount of time, I scoped her because I wanted to know with certainty before I spent $900 on medication.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Not sure about your area, but the scope was about $500 the first time because they also did a "physical exam" and ran a CBC on her. The follow up scope was $350 because all they did was rescope (and the ulcers were healed, as you can see in the photos).

Now that I am familiar with this horse, and her symptoms, I wouldn't rescope her when I suspect she has a flareup. I just treat her and go by her behavior to know when to wean her back off omeprazole.

If he responds to the Ranitidine, I would say that is enough "evidence" to continue treatment as though its ulcers.

Because my mare didn't respond in the timeframe that most horses respond, I wanted a definite diagnoses.

What is the "time frame"? Just so I can have an idea. I'm the crazy neurotic mother that is going out 3x a day to assess my horse and has a notebook full of notes for the vet!

It depends on the severity of the ulcers. My horse took about 3 weeks to see a marginal improvement, but it wasn't until 3 months in that he was 85% back to his old self. Including taper off time, he was medicated for 6 months.

Compare that to my other horse who gave himself ulcers pining over a mare. At first symptom I started him on full dose ranitidine and 7 days later pulled him off no problem.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    What is the "time frame"? Just so I can have an idea. I'm the crazy neurotic mother that is going out 3x a day to assess my horse and has a notebook full of notes for the vet!
    My vet was saying that if she didn't respond with visible improvement (attitude, appetite, etc) within 4 days, then it wasn't ulcers. I was certain based on hindsight and all that, that it WAS ulcers, so treated for 8 days. She still showed no improvement.

Once her ulcers were diagnosed with teh scope, I was worried that at day 28 she still had them because she was still snarky, and picking at her food. We rescoped and they were healed, so I gradually weaned her off the GastroGard over a few week period, and by then, she was back to normal.

So, it really depends on the horse, but according to my vet, a few days should tell you.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have found that ranitidine shows improvement much faster, if its going to show improvement at all. Like, two days with my mare, at a dose of 3000 mg twice daily.

I used omeprazole in a tube at about $15 a tube, I can look at where I got it, I have some tubes left, but we used half a tube a day after the first week, and it seemed to work out, fine.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011