The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reasonable Breeches for Smaller Shows

Hi there, I've had several years off from showing. I have a youngster I'd like to show this year as a hunter, just locally (not A at this time.) I have no idea what breeches to look at, not interested in spending the $$ for Tailored Sportsman as I'm not going to big shows at this time. However, I do want a clean, show-ready look as much as possible. I am 5'5 but all legs so often wear a long, I wear about a 25-26 and have kind of a "beanpole" body so the TS can also run a little baggy on me.

Any suggestions in the $100 range and honestly, I'm not even sure what color is popular right now. My horse is a deep chestnut with chrome...and I am blond and fair.

Thanks

For show breeches, tan is and always will be appropriate. No exceptions there—doesn't matter what color your horse is. I got a pair of the Ariat Heritage (the front-zip Euro-seat model) back in December and really love them. http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat%C...ch/p/X1-35402/

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGal View Post
    Hi there, I've had several years off from showing. I have a youngster I'd like to show this year as a hunter, just locally (not A at this time.) I have no idea what breeches to look at, not interested in spending the $$ for Tailored Sportsman as I'm not going to big shows at this time. However, I do want a clean, show-ready look as much as possible. I am 5'5 but all legs so often wear a long, I wear about a 25-26 and have kind of a "beanpole" body so the TS can also run a little baggy on me.

Any suggestions in the $100 range and honestly, I'm not even sure what color is popular right now. My horse is a deep chestnut with chrome...and I am blond and fair.

Thanks
    I really like the dover house brand "competitor" breeches. They are usually $49.99 on sale (find a catalog, or call a store and ask them to look up the item # in the COUPON section of the sale catalog for you)

The beige is a nice beige, the fabric feels like the $$ breeches, and the low rise isn't too low. I have both colors and wish they'd make more colors.

Hi, thanks for the replies. A few years back when I was last showing, only olive-tan was acceptable, "regular" tan was out out out. So I didn't know what flies these days

You might want to try these:

http://www.hoofandwoof.com/503-Breeches.html
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Smartpak Bradley breeches are really flattering to me and in your price range.

Check out the Ovation line, I have these http://www.sstack.com/ApparelBoots_E...FSTZQgodx00AWw

(they are available elsewhere, too, I just google searched them)
    and I used them at a large rated show last fall and no one was the wiser (that they weren't some expensive brand). A plus is that they're really comfy too! Great for warm weather.

Wait for a Horze 50% coupon and get yourself the Victoria breeches!! They are amazing!! And they look fantastic!!

http://www.horze.com/B-Vertigo-VICTO...,en_US,pd.html

They Knee patch version is actually on sale right now....

Thanks everyone for the responses. So light tan is fine again? Because a few years ago at least in So Cal light tan was a NO except breed shows and only olive tan was OK. Funny the trends! I tried the Bradleys from SmartPak and love the concept. Sadly they run HUGE in the waist and I've been through 2 pairs as the backs of the fasteners in the waistband are so sharp on the top that when I bend, they literally stick me and cut my stomach! Has anyone else run into this? I am actually working with Smartpak right now, sent back 2, with photos also of the points that jut out so their designers can fix this. Great company, I don't hesitate to buy from them, and great service but this design thing is really odd! I am hopeful they'll fix it or change fasteners as they seem to be nice breeches.

Light tan's been fine for awhile now. When I was in California in 2009, the "safari" (light tan) Pikeurs were almost all you saw at the big A shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Light tan's been fine for awhile now. When I was in California in 2009, the "safari" (light tan) Pikeurs were almost all you saw at the big A shows.
    I haven't shown since 2007, LOL! Time flies. And back then it was that greenish tan.Which I don't like, tan is much nicer, so I am glad

You don't have to spend big $$ on TS, that's what ebay is for!

2 members found this post helpful.

I second hitting up Ebay! I've purchased all but one pair of my breeches on Ebay. As far as breech recommendations, I'm the exact same in the height, long legs, and size department and I love my Ariat Pro Circuits. They retail for somewhere around $220, but typically go for under $100 on Ebay. And though I have a 25" waist, I wear a 24 comfortably in Ariats. I also love my Pikeur Ciara's but they're really hard to find under $200.

I don't like how TS fit me anyway, I am selling a pair actually just sold a pair, that I've had for years. I am built like a beanpole and they're built for someone else, LOL even when the waist fits the thighs are too roomy!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGal View Post
    I don't like how TS fit me anyway, I am selling a pair actually just sold a pair, that I've had for years. I am built like a beanpole and they're built for someone else, LOL even when the waist fits the thighs are too roomy!
    Perhaps a low rise TS breech would work better for you? The regular rise are WAY narrow in the waist.

I think the new euro seat breeches tend to fit thin people better. Wrt color, in my area I would say tan is way more common than the greenish tan. The Grand Prix breeches might fit you well and they are around 100. Dover carries them.

I've had really good luck finding used Tailored Sportsmans in show condition for under $50 on eBay.

On Course has good quality breeches for the price.

Re: 503 Breeches (sorry, cant quote)

What a horrible website, you cant even see pictures of the acutal breeches!! Too bad, because for the price they could be pretty good!!