The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big snow storm about to hit the northeast...did you brave the grocery stores?

I went on Wednesday night to buy a few things. I try to keep a supply of can goods in the house.

Apparently my mom took my grandmother to the store yesterday and she said it was unbelievable. The parking lot was jammed full of cars, and while they were walking in they decided to grab a carriage in the parking lot and while doing so, a lady who hadn't even found a parking spot yet started yelling at my mom that it was HER CARRIAGE and not to touch it!!! My mom told her sorry she hadn't even parked her car yet and proceeded to go on with the carriage and apparently the lady let out a stream of expletives and other wonderful names at my mother.

Then while in the store if people left their carriage (with groceries in it) people would dump the groceries and steal the carriage!!!!

Really? We have to resort to being that rude?
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Well , that sure was excessivley rude. Guess they expect to be snowed in for weeks and need that food NOW. sheesh

That's insane! I went this morning to get a few things since we're having a party on Sunday and I wanted to get my ingredients before it got too bad, and there was hardly anyone at the store. Then again I did go at 8am, so maybe that had something to do with it?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Wow.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I had to do a regular shopping yesterday...but with all the hoopla about the storm today I was dreading it.

But I also had a doc apt early morning, so I left early and did the shopping before the apt. Wasn't busy, but a lot of the French Toast Survival ingredients were close to gone from the night before. Thankfully I didn't need eggs, milk or bread anyway, LOL!

But then last night Mr Blue says, "We're low on milk!" No, we're not. But I tend to bake like a banshee during snowstorms and he was worried about having a Got Milk situation. Told him he could go get his own back-up milk.

You also can't find hot dogs, hamburgers or rolls for either one right now. Lotta people will uncover the grills when the snow stops if they lost power. And dogs can be cooked in a fireplace on a stick, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

And people think the preppers are crazy!

2 members found this post helpful.

Hubby went to the store last night (he loves shopping, I don't) and said it was really busy. Nothing like what your mom went through, Cashela!

This morning I walked to the produce store to get a few more things. The roads were already pretty bad at this point, so no crowds.

We're in the blizzard warning area and are supposed to get hurricane-force winds and more than 2' of snow starting this afternoon, until tomorrow afternoon.

O goodie, maybe I can get the xc skis back out! Maybe I can actually ride, too, since the snow will be covering the cement-hard outdoor ring! (if only I can actually GET to the barn of course).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I went this morning. very quiet. Milk shelves were a little depleted but I got quesadilla fixings for dinner and took some stuff out of the freezer to thaw. And they had my cake batter ice cream, so I am all set to batten down the hatches now.

I went yesterday morning. The old people were out in force and moving slowly! I'm glad everything is done. I needed to go because I was out of food!

in Atlanta, yes we had blizzards in Atlanta every few years, I and my boyfriend always had to hit the liquor store and the pet shop. I had gas stove so I could cook everything in my freezer and frig. But we had to have wine and cat litter.

I'm originally from MI, so I don't really care about bad weather. But now that I live in TN, it's really quite funny. When we get a threat of snow (and I mean, an inch maybe) they close the schools in advance, and everyone heads to the grocery store and you cannot find bread or milk, etc. And I've never known snow to last here for more than a day or two at most. So who doesn't have food enough for one or two days? It's funny.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I'm originally from MI, so I don't really care about bad weather. But now that I live in TN, it's really quite funny. When we get a threat of snow (and I mean, an inch maybe) they close the schools in advance, and everyone heads to the grocery store and you cannot find bread or milk, etc. And I've never known snow to last here for more than a day or two at most. So who doesn't have food enough for one or two days? It's funny.
    Yeah, I'm from eastern Maryland, and I think there have been 5 or 6 major blizzards in the last 30 years-- but people go nuts! The stores look like they've been looted the day before. But I've never seen quite what the OP described.

On a whim I stopped on the way home from work to see about getting stuff to make chicken soup since they let us out early. The store wasn't mobbed but there were still plenty of people shopping. They were completely out of whole chickens! So I bought stuff to make meatballs instead
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Stop & Shop had all their front big bins full of "comfort food" meats yesterday. I bought 2 whole chickens, have them in the crockpot all day here. Makes the house smell nice.
    I also just made a buttload of pastas...2 different types for soup and 2 different types for sauce. Hubby and I won't eat the same pastas...so there's a whole wheat version of each and a bleached wheat version of each.
    Already made a big pot of sauce, meatballs and braciole.
    Although now I'm thinking a crockpot full of chili would have been a good choice too.
    Glad you got home safe!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

When we get a threat of snow (and I mean, an inch maybe) they close the schools in advance, and everyone heads to the grocery store and you cannot find bread or milk, etc.
    Toilett paper to.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    The stores look like they've been looted the day before.
    Thats the usual weekend at the store here anyway.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

You gotta see this. Really. You must.

I think it captures the mood perfectly.

"Bread and Milk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=i6zaVYWLTkU
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

must be some sort of primal-survival phenomenon that brings out the craziness in folks who'd otherwise be normal. I have to say, however, that OP's report brought some truly extreme craziness to light! I wonder if any budding psychology students will latch onto this to make the grade

Default bread and milk

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    You gotta see this. Really. You must.

I think it captures the mood perfectly.

"Bread and Milk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=i6zaVYWLTkU
    yep here in Michigan,a new breed of people/or it might be what's left,jas's left but ,really-TV dinners,eggs,bacon?

Yeah, but most people down here can't drive in the rain, much less snow!

I know I don't/won't drive in snow or ice unless I have to to get home. One time in high school, I was working at a drug store and were told we'd be fired if we didn't come in. I skidded into a ditch.

Once in college it started snowing while some friends and I were at a bar. I got a guy friend from somewhere up north to drive us home. I didn't want any part of it! He laughed at me but that was fine by me.

BTW... WHY bread and milk? As long as I have wine, I'm fine. I have plenty of stuff in the pantry/freezer to get me through a day or two. Oh, yeah, as someone else said might have to stop and get cat food.