The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default a recent observation about trailers

Has anyone else noticed how increasingly difficult it has become to find a steel gooseneck horse trailer?
    All I have been able to find is mostly those stock type ones. I guess everyone is junking them.

It is always about the money. Steel costs more to move in fuel costs, than aluminum. Cheap steel trailers (stock trailers) need work on them to fix sharp edges, put boards up on the walls, take out the rattling.

FASHION makes aluminum trailers more desirable for new buyers, upgrading buyers. Fair or not, people judge you by what you drive or pull, and steel is OUT. Gets rusty, while aluminum can have a new look with an acid wash and some decals put on. If you had stripes, now you can have the swirls of new trailers being sold.

We like our steel trailer too, but you do have to keep them up. Has been repainted, needs it again. Husband can easily fix or modify things with welder on the steel. Aluminum cracks as the metal fatigues with age and use, harder to keep up by yourself than steel, with those fixes needed. They use a LOT of salt in winter here, hard on aluminim, pits it.

Guess you will have to shop at cheaper seller places, or hunt further away from home to find the steel trailer you want.

I have a Merhow that is steel frame with an aluminum skin. I really didn't want an all aluminum trailer, and they're everywhere you look now.

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post
    I have a Merhow that is steel frame with an aluminum skin. I really didn't want an all aluminum trailer, and they're everywhere you look now.
    Well keep an eye on the places the two kinds of metal touch. They don't work so well together over time.

Yep, REALLY hard to find, even here in TX. LOTS of stock trailers, but few with all the nice features H/J type folk look for. I sold my lovely 2H GN steel trailer, and was really sad that I did once I REALLY had to start looking for it's 3H replacement.

I found lots of pre 1995 steel ones, but none that were 7' tall. NOw for me, that's just a requirement. TONS of Alum. ones around here, but really none (esp, in my price range) in steel.

I went to look at one that the trailer dealer (trade-in) post on their site as 7' and I didn't think I needed to ask again. Wrong. AFter a 2 hour drive, got there and it was quite obvious from the outside that it wasn't 7' (I could reach the window latches lol). But I looked it over anyhow. Just can't fix 6'8" and make it 7'... Passed on it due to that issue alone.

Luckily a week later, on CL (which I checked on an almost HOURLY basis for 300 miles around me) I saw one just above my budget, all sounded right.

Drove another 2 hours to see it. YAY! 7'! But crappy tires, and needs some paint/rust work, though not major. And it is a 98! Had all but one feature I was looking for, and one I was not (passthru door between compartments; which is actually quite fun to have now!), and the one feature it doesn't have, collapsing rear tack, looks to be an easy modification with this particular one.

So, it's home with me now. I think I got REALLY lucky finding it. I don't think I'll be seeing one similar in my budget for awhile....

Yep, hard to find...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Love my steel trailer -- 2H with stock sides. Hate aluminum for all its material property failings and hate enclosed trailers as I MUST have ventilation and I think the closed trailers are designed for the humans, not the horses. It's very low maintenance -- little surface rust spots aren't a big deal and scratches or gouges can be easily taken care of with a dremel and some clear rustoleum.

They are hard to find online, but in my area, it's because if someone has a good steel GN, they KEEP it. Definitely not junk. There is one sitting for sale in the front yard of our boarding farm that I WANT, but the dang thing has a GVWR of 26,000 lbs, so I'd have to buy a bigger truck, LOL! It's a lovely old tank of a thing.

Here in NC, Double D builds galvanized steel trailers to your spec (they are a high candidate for my next trailer) that last forever. Adam does as well (my current trailer's manufacturer, also excellent).

I had a Titan. All steel. Quality (little things, not safety things) wasn't up to par with some of the more expensive brands, but overall for my purposes it served its needs. It hauled beautifully. One of our local haulers who was on the news for hitting over 1M miles on her rig uses a Titan 4 horse gooseneck. They're fairly inexpensive.

Well, steel is still being made here, for cowboy stock trailers.
    Those can take a beating over dirt roads on ranches and keep on ticking.

You order what you want and that is what you get.
    These trailers pull so well you don't know they are back there, so well that they don't pull any harder than aluminum ones would:

http://www.reyestrailersmanufacturing.com/

I was going to suggest Logan Coach as I have one of their steel trailers (a 1998 model) but a quick look at their website confirms your observation -- apparently they've switched to aluminum.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post

Here in NC, Double D builds galvanized steel trailers to your spec (they are a high candidate for my next trailer) that last forever. Adam does as well (my current trailer's manufacturer, also excellent).
    I don't think Double D is building steel trailers any longer. I see only aluminum on their site now. I'm glad I already have my dream trailer which is a Double D Rawhide. I think aluminum is way overpriced and over rated. It's not that much lighter than steel (10%) if properly built to begin with.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jackson makes a terrific trailer - not cheap, but solid - and galvanealed steel. Here's a link to their gooseneck two-horse straight-load.

http://www.jacksontrailers.com/LinkC...bid=57&mid=390

We've had a Titan, a Double D and a Jackson steel stock trailer... DH works steel fab and won't have an aluminum trailer with the kinds of roads we travel on. We haul up to nine horses at a time on dirt roads.

I'm still processing how stock trailer = cheap. Thanks for that.

I agree with Wildlifer that Double D's are great trailers. They don't work for me because I live right on the salt water which majorly accelerates rust; otherwise, I love my girlfriend's.

I would call Double D.... they always have trade-ins. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Ohio!

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    Double D's are great. [...] I love my girlfriend's.
    Aha, This made me chuckle (sorry it's late...)
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by manentail View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how increasingly difficult it has become to find a steel gooseneck horse trailer?
    All I have been able to find is mostly those stock type ones. I guess everyone is junking them.
    Titan makes steel horse trailers and they make steel stock trailers. They will customize a trailer for you too. 9 years ago I ordered a 3 horse GN with a 2' short wall in the DR. I had them extend the DR into the horse area and make a 5' short wall, 2 horse slant load trailer. 2 years ago I took the trailer out to the factory and had them replace the drop down windows with the new style they were using and replace the divider. The divider it came with had a solid head piece and I wanted one with what they called "jail house bars". That provides better ventilation and doesn't make the horses feel boxed in. While I was there the guys replaced my plug in light cord at no charge because they felt it needed replacing. Most of the guys working the factory that I spoke to were K-State grads with degrees in engineering. Super nice company that is well run.

And I am pretty darn sure the gentleman who owns Titan bought Logan Coach trailers a couple years ago. That factory is out in Utah but I also think Logan's are mostly aluminum trailers. Yes, here is a link tying Titan and Logan together: http://logancoach.com/underthehat/

I bought a steel 2005 Titan GN 3H slant load in 2007. Found it on trailerworld.com. Let me tell you, though, one has to move fast. It had just been listed the day I ran across the ad...didn't even have a picture posted, yet. It was fairly local and I was able to look at it immediately. Snapped it up, as there were two other parties in line behind me. It's been a great trailer and the Titan company has been very good with minor replacement parts. Bonus - the lovely SLW even gave me a couple of her old windows in case I ever need to replace mine.

They're out there...but, timing is everything!
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by KSAQHA View Post
    I bought a steel 2005 Titan GN 3H slant load in 2007. Found it on trailerworld.com. Let me tell you, though, one has to move fast. It had just been listed the day I ran across the ad...didn't even have a picture posted, yet. It was fairly local and I was able to look at it immediately. Snapped it up, as there were two other parties in line behind me. It's been a great trailer and the Titan company has been very good with minor replacement parts. Bonus - the lovely SLW even gave me a couple of her old windows in case I ever need to replace mine.

They're out there...but, timing is everything!
    I sold mine for only $1000 less than I paid for it new when it was 4 years old, and it sold in a day. So yup - they are hard to find and people want them!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I don't think Double D is building steel trailers any longer.
    You just made me sad. :-(

I was very disappointed also wildlifer. I think they make a mediocre aluminum trailer now. Their galvaneal trailers were their trademark.

I saw one of their aluminum trailers at a horse camp and the guy who had it was very unhappy with it. All sorts of problems with it. I'd be really careful getting one.

I can't wait to start looking for a new trailer...there is great advice here and I will definitely be coming back to hear more!!