The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

See for me i had been off a couple months. I googled epm treatments but only came up with Marquis etc. Trying to stay on top of things in case something new was out for my guy. I never thought to search on here. If it wasn't for someone posting a new thread on it I would have never seen the old ones and would have never known about it. So IMO the new threads don't bother me because you never know who they may help that haven't been on in a while or doesn't think to do an epm search on the bb.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

4 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I was just wondering why the mods haven't moved this to the Horse Care forum.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Here we go again. This Oroquin stuff is getting tedious. BTW, EPM is a protozoa not a parasite.
    A protozoa is a parasite.

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Not everyone reads every single forum. I'm on this site quite a lot and this was the first thread I've seen on Oroquin.... I hardly ever look at Horse Care.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

3 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Not everyone reads every single forum. I'm on this site quite a lot and this was the first thread I've seen on Oroquin.... I hardly ever look at Horse Care.
    You obviously don't need to hear about new treatments for EPM if all you do is hang out on the dressage forum. This topic belongs in the correct forum. It was obviously misplaced.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    You obviously don't need to hear about new treatments for EPM if all you do is hang out on the dressage forum. This topic belongs in the correct forum. It was obviously misplaced.
    No, I really don't need to hear about EPM treatments... luckily my horse is fine <knocking on wood.> And if I did, I'd likely ask my vet. But I sure don't understand the attitude on this thread; I don't see any harm in someone asking a question or having a discussion about it.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

5 members found this post helpful.

Hi,
    I have had considerable experience with EPM and with Pathgenes.
    Pm if you want to talk.

I am not sure why this thread isn't in the Horse Care forum, but FWIW, I know the horse Lucassb is referring to. In fact, I was there when the chiropractor told the owner and trainer she thought the horse was exhibiting EPM symptoms. I could see the owner was stunned by this news, so I immediately piped up and told her about my experience with an EPM horse and Oroquin-10 (and my horse is doing very well. ).

The owner of the horse in question uses a different vet than I use, but when her vet came to evaluate her horse for EPM, he immediately mentioned Oroquin-10 and said it is his "treatment of choice" now. This is a long time equine vet, with a lot of experience over the years with EPM (we are in the SE, and 'possums are all over the place here). He had used Marquis for years - and will still prescribe it if the owner insists - but he, like my vet, has seen much better results since he started prescribing Oroquin-10. It is also much more affordable and the horses are much less likely to have serious side effects during treatment.

So count me on the Oroquin-10 bandwagon. And no, I am not connected with Pathogenes in any way.

Our Vet has used it on several horses. Some in my barn. All have had positive effects. However, it was recently suggested that if you need hocks injected do not do it on EPM horses, they tend to have relapses if there is a steroid in the injection. There is a supplement that can be used in conjunction with the o-10 with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    A protozoa is a parasite.
    You're right about Sarcoystis neurona, but not all protozoans are parasitic.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    You're right about Sarcoystis neurona, but not all protozoans are parasitic.
    Yes, but they are talking about EPM and in that condition (i.e., living in the host) the organism is parasitic.

And I do remember watching amoebas swimming freely under a microscope.

"Free" in relative terms, that is.