The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Second botched execution in AZ: WTF and other general questions.

I listened with hope and then horror to news shows in the AM and PM yesterday about the execution of an Arizona death row inmate. The repeat of the fubar situation in OK was the known even they did not want to occur. And of course it did.

My general WTF questions are:

1. And how many times are we going to do this?

2. I get that manufacturers don't want to make the drugs used in lethal injections. But how can this state of affairs be preferable? If you do business in a nation that chooses to execute people and does it this way, and its government allows you to make a helluvalotof money, isn't there some obligation to help it get its dirty business done? Didn't chemical manufacturers do similar in, say, World War II?

3. The disjointed and non-sensical quote from the family member who made this argument:

A) Death row inmates should suffer since they (at least the guilty ones) had caused suffering as well.

B) Therefore, the guy deserved a bullet, not a lethal injection.

Hello? The point here is that this method of execution will cause more suffering than would a bullet if it continues to be so unreliable. So what's his problem? And he has no regard for the Constitutional prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment?

What chaps my hide is that when it comes to serious sh!t like life, death and ethics, people can't put on their Sunday Best Brains and think with the utmost care. Really, this is not picking out paint colors at Home Depot. It matters that you aren't stupid in this context.

4. So the availability of good killing drugs is limited to those used on people? Or only some of them (I mean, people OD on all kinds of drugs all the time, so what's up with the particular cocktail or classes of drugs used in executions)? And BigPharma will still make the stuff needed for horse euthanasias? (I have a retired one circling the drain, y'unuderstand).

I know this is a tough topic and I already indulged in a rant. But please try to say what you have to with making this thread go off the rails. As the OP, I hereby prohibit all ad hominem attacks.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm with you. This is just about the least sensical situation ever.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

End capital punishment. Problem solved. Hard labor and life in a tiny concrete cell-- no visitation, no tv, nothing but a book, work, and exercise, basic food.

Maybe they should have a vet administer the drugs used for animals. Hell we kill thousands of dogs and cats daily...
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

4. So the availability of good killing drugs is limited to those used on people? Or only some of them (I mean, people OD on all kinds of drugs all the time, so what's up with the particular cocktail or classes of drugs used in executions)? And BigPharma will still make the stuff needed for horse euthanasias? (I have a retired one circling the drain, y'unuderstand).
    I've often wondered why we can't give them a giant dosing of good heroin and send them off that way. It's gotta be cheaper and probably more pleasant.

2 members found this post helpful.

Another thread on that with some decent info, although narrower focus:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ple-vs-Animals
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

How long did his victims take to die?
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    A) Death row inmates should suffer since they (at least the guilty ones) had caused suffering as well.
    This makes it sound like there might actually be innocent people on death row???

Yes, there are. And, until their sentence is commuted, there they sit... and no way potentially to determine if their sentence was, in fact, correct.