The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paid Holidays

Because of the decline in the economy, the office I work in began closing on Wednesdays. It's been great for me, I love having my Wednesdays off! But when a holiday falls on a Wednesday (like the 4th of July did this year) we didn't get it the day before or after off with pay.

I assumed that if a holiday fell on a Wednesday that just like when one falls on a Saturday or Sunday you would get the day before or after off with pay. This year Christmas and New Years fall on Wednesdays and I expect to get either Tuesday or Thursday off with pay. It's not a dealbreaker or anything, but I was just wondering what other people thought about this.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

I assume you're NOT being paid for the regular every Wednesday off?

I think it kind of stinks that they don't give you a paid day off for federal holidays that happen to fall on Wednesdays....but I guess I can kind of see where they're coming from, too.

Double check your paychecks when July 4 comes - you never know, they may pay you for that day.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Paid holidays are not required, they're just a perk. It's up to the company to decide to give time off for a holiday on a day that they're closed. I wouldn't like it but I don't think it's fair for the company to pay for a holiday landing on a day they weren't going to be open anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

Even without the "closed Wednesdays" LOTS of companies don't give you an extra paid day off if a legal holiday falls on a weekend.

And lots of companies don't give you a paid day off for some legal holidays that falls on a weekday- We don't get MLK Day or Veterans Day. This year, for the first time in many years, we actually get President's Day. And I work for a BIG, reasonably successful company.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

See, that's the thing I obviously didn't make clear - I'm salaried so paid holidays were part of the deal. This is why I'm a little miffed. No biggie - I'm leaving in a year anyway when me and the family move.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

They usually specify how many paid holidays you get in a year. Or rather, that's how it's always been for me.

If 4th of July is your normal paid holiday, I'd think they should give you either the day before or after off if it happens to fall on the office closed day. Did you ask?