The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would this interest anyone?

I live in an area with a fair amount of warmblood breeders and dressage trainers. I was considering trying to organize a "farm tour" where folks could see:

1) breeders horses (mares, stallions, foals)
    2) learn a bit about blood lines
    3) see some trainers facilities in the area
    4) hear about some trainers philosophies

Would such a thing even interest folks? What would you want to see/ cover/discuss? Would you prefer to be shuttled by van or drive your own car and follow? How far would one travel to do such a thing? Essentially what would make attending something like this worth it to most folks?
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

1 members found this post helpful.

very clever idea! I would def attend. I think organizing it as a shuttle would keep the timing on schedule for the barn owners. If ppl drive on their own they may tie up the breeders and trainers chatting. This way they could connect and plan another day to return for a more in depth look at the horses.
    But if done as a bus tour, you would be able to really plan the stops even plan a lunch at one stop and stay on a time frame.
    I think that is a great idea! Keep us posted and what area are you? Here in NEngland everyone is too spread out to do that.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like fun

Not sure where you are talking about, but you might chat with the folks that run the Virginia hunt country farm tour. http://www.equisearch.com/community/...letour_061504/

It's a great weekend with demos and lovely farms. No vans, all self paced
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Not sure where you are talking about, but you might chat with the folks that run the Virginia hunt country farm tour. http://www.equisearch.com/community/...letour_061504/

It's a great weekend with demos and lovely farms. No vans, all self paced
    That looks super. Unfortunately the farms in my area are no where near as fancy as those Tb farms! They are much more utilitarian working farms. Would that still be interesting to folks? As for those fancy places I think some people just go as an "open house" to look at the over-the-top farms.

Also, how far would someone travel to do a "warmblood breeding/ training farm tour"?
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Quote Originally Posted by bluehof View Post
    That looks super. Unfortunately the farms in my area are no where near as fancy as those Tb farms! They are much more utilitarian working farms. Would that still be interesting to folks? As for those fancy places I think some people just go as an "open house" to look at the over-the-top farms.

Also, how far would someone travel to do a "warmblood breeding/ training farm tour"?
    I agree, I first went to just "see" some of the farms. However, that is where I first learned about the Irish Draught and now look at me LOL. I thought those folks might be a good source to talk about how it's marketed, insurance, etc. Especially if you are going to include training and such, why not open it to outside of WB. Again, not sure what is in your area, but a lot of serious dressage folks that don't ride WB - maximize your interest and attendance. I travel 1.5-2 hrs for that tour
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

There is one in my area every year. A few barns are each 'open' for an hour. People drive themselves around, wander, ask questions, etc. Many places have horses working in the ring during their time slot so people can see them go. It ends with a lunch in the afternoon and some demo rides at the last barn. It's very well attended.

Would such a thing even interest folks? What would you want to see/ cover/discuss? Would you prefer to be shuttled by van or drive your own car and follow? How far would one travel to do such a thing? Essentially what would make attending something like this worth it to most folks?
    I think it would interest a number of different types of folks including people new to dressage who might not be in the market to buy one but is still curious about all those fancy horses!

I think there is a similar day in the Porotola Valley/Woodside area of Northern California that includes a nice lunch but is self-paced. Proceeds go to a worthy cause (can't remember which one). It's a very special opportunity because most of these barns are private and it's a once-a-year chance to peek inside.

I can imagine one that includes wine and a shuttle, too, for a slightly different atmosphere.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I want to go!

I'd like the option of driving myself or going in a shuttle with others. I'd like to talk to the BM, owner and at least one worker bee. Curious about challenges running the barn, how they economize, experience with trainers, and recommendations for other BMs. And I want to see all the horsies and hear about their lives, what they do now, how they were trained, their issues.

Maybe a lot to ask! Sounds like a few days worth there maybe! I would love to see other people's barns, and not just the fancy ones that I will never own/work in/board at.
    Last edited by Buttonwillow; Feb. 8, 2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: to make it more helpful

Include a nice lunch and a glass of wine and I'm there. If you are hoping to attract out of towners maybe give a thought to what the non-horsey family members might want to do. Is there a beach/golf course/amusement park etc nearby?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I'm with the above that said to include wine and lunch. Maybe even make it a weekend long thing, so that nobody has to rush from one place to another. I would pay, and travel, to attend something like that!

Second Mozart's idea about activity suggestions for non-horsey members as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Denton, TX has a barn tour. They have a chartered bus (air conditioned!) to take the folks from barn to barn. It was a lot of fun!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Default Barn Tours

Great idea, We did this very thing in Ireland last spring. The tour was organized by the very gracious Jimmy and Edel Quinn of Cappa Stud. It was very educational.
    The barns were not all as fancy as we see on the Upperville Hunt Country Stable Tour but the Irish Draughts were fabulous. And the knowledge that the breeders shared with us was priceless.

I live in an area with a fair amount of warmblood breeders and dressage trainers. I was considering trying to organize a "farm tour" where folks could see:

1) breeders horses (mares, stallions, foals)
    2) learn a bit about blood lines
    3) see some trainers facilities in the area
    4) hear about some trainers philosophies

Great idea! Not sure if they still do it, but for years Wake Co Extension ran a barn tour day - they got a bus, so everyone would meet at a designated place, descend en masse on each farm, get the tour and spiel, have some time to ask questions, then head on to the next place on the bus. From the farm owner perspective (not that I breed warmbloods, but brainstorming) I would rather sign up for this than have to be ready all day for unknown #'s of drop-ins...
    It was a fun chance to sit on the bus and chat with other small horse farm owners or owners to be, back when I went on one. I would think getting to see some horses live, see a brief demonstration of a sale horse or two, hear how the babies are handled, etc would be an interesting trip for many.

Barn tours are great-- I have been to the Woodside, CA and Bedford, NY ones.

I have also been to something perhaps closer to what the OP has in mind. Back in the 1980s when Arabs were big some folks I worked for had an open house.

The included snacks, a presentation of their stallion (in hand and under saddle) as well as his get. Otherwise, the mares and babies were cleaned and polished in their stalls with stall cards showing pedigrees. They had an early supper BBQ and hoedown type thing you could stay for if you bought tickets.

In other words (and the lesson to take from the Arabian crowd) is Make a Party of It.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I think it's a great idea!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

that sounds like fun, I'd do something like that if it was on a day that I could go. I definitely think a shuttle would be best to help keep everything on time!

I'm in your area and I would very much be interested in something like this. Breeding/Bloodlines of warmbloods is a hobby of mine. I think it would be ideal if everyone could get on a van together unless the cost became prohibitive.

Ideally, I would like to see stallions and mares (conformation and movement assessment) stood up in person, and then offspring (conformation and movement and commentary on the influence of the stallion and mare lines). Sans stallion or mare, a picture/video and commentary so that the get can be evaluated. I think the local trainers could comment on trainability of the lines. I would love it if the tour was pitched to knowledgeable people as well as people just learning about bloodlines, heritability, and the influence of good training.

Keep me in the loop!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it's a wonderful idea! I have Holsteiners but would be interested in seeing / learning about the breeding programs of others. From my perspective, I'd like to visit farms specializing in each of the "major" warmblood books: Hann, Holst, GOV, KWPN, etc. with an emphasis on similarities and differences in breeding programs and goals. Discussion of intersections and the outlook of worldwide development would be great too. As would wine. Definitely wine