The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone use Hulu plus instead of cable?

I am thinking about ditching the cable when I head up north for the summer.

I would love to hear your opinions about Hulu plus.

I've been cable-free for more than a decade. I don't have Hulu Plus but I do have Netflix. Between that, Amazon and the networks' own websites, I can pretty much watch anything except the evening news and (aggravatingly) HBO specials, but I usually catch the news on NPR in the car on the way home from work and if you're patient the HBO stuff gets out there eventually.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

We've got NetFlix and Hulu Plus both. We ditched the satellite service about three months ago. It was about $80/month and this is $16/month (plus the X-box live fee, and I have no clue what that is).

It isn't perfect - our internet provide sucks and things lag sometime on the TV. But we cope.

When we started it, HuluPlus had a free trial thing. You might check that out and see if they still do it. Then you could play around with HuluPlus.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I have refused to pay for cable since 2005. I have Netflix and super fast internet. I tried out Hulu Plus (you can do 7 days for free) but I don't watch enough on there to be worth it for me (yes, I am poor) so I just watch the free Hulu - I could plug it into my TV if I was motivated enough to buy a cable, LOL. But between that and network sites and the Netflix, I can watch anything I want and I only pay $12 (well, plus internet service but I would be paying that anyway).

1 members found this post helpful.

We use a combination of Hulu+ and Netflix on our AppleTV. It's well worth it. (Of course, I also use my parent's cable provider log-in so we can watch HBOGo and ESPN on Demand, so if you can do that, you'll basically be set.)

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I have a ROKU in my bedroom and a Sony DVD player with wireless Internet connection in my living room. They both come with hundreds of Internet TV sites. I ditched cable about 6 months ago and I love it. I have Hulu Plus and Netflix. I love that I can watch what I want when I want.

As stated in a previous post you can't get up to date news but you could always just get an antenna so local channels. Netflix has more things to watch but it's not up to date (i.e. you can't watch this years episodes) However what Hulu does have is usually pretty up to date. For example if you like Downton Abby and it comes on on Tues you will be able to watch it Wednesday.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I luff Hulu Plus. I use my Blu-Ray player or my PC to watch TV shows instead of cable for the most part.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I have Hulu+ and a Roku (ditched cable 4 years ago, but we are also not big TV watchers).

I like how the Roku works easily with the TV through a remote, but there are things available on Hulu+ on the computer, that you can not watch on the Roku for some reason. So, some times we hook the lap top up to the computer as well to give us more options (and use a wireless mouse as a remote control!)

I do not miss cable at all – one thing I have found, if I have to search and click something before watching – it means I am much less likely to watch garbage TV, or just leave the TV on in the back ground like I once did. The result is much less TV watching.

In my house, we watch the Daily Show, and perhaps the Colbert Report. On the weekends I enjoy watching PBS type programming (enjoyed watching Ken Burn documentaries through Hulu+)

I ditched my cable for Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming through a Roku. I'm not that concerned about not getting just aired stuff, but a friend of mine has Hulu Plus for that reason and she loves it.

ROKU all the way. Cancelled our DirectTV bill and we are saving around $100 a month. That pays 1/3 of my board!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this as I'm always aghast at my monthly cable bill (~$110, but it is TV and Internet both) and though I like to watch TV, I have basic cable no special channels and do watch alot of broadcast shows... Though living in an apartment, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get a signal to watch the local channels if they won't mount an antennae...
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

For those who live stream Netflixs . . . I just started doing this a few months ago and ready to ditch the service. The "instant" movies really lack in choices. Even with the DVD service I find you have to wait a year for a season of your fav TV/cable series, and not a lot of current movies. I am watching House of Cards and addicted, but I'm also a big fan of Kevin Spacey.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

For those that have Hulu Plus, do you still see/watch commercials? I remember when we tried it (over a year ago) we still saw commercials (though we were using the free trial) -- We decided that there was absolutely no reason to pay for Hulu Plus when we can watch most of the shows on free Hulu when we still had to watch the darned commercials!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Calhoun, it depends -- I watch a LOT of stuff on live stream from Netflix, but it took me a while to discover stuff and I browse a lot. I have found a lot of great things I never even heard of or would have seen. Amazing shows like Life and Top Gear and Flashpoint and many other things I follow now.

We ditched the cable too. We put a antenna up on the roof and get all local channels in HD free. We also got a TIVO, which is $16 month as I am not home much. My husband also does the netflix so I watch that sometimes. Our cable+internet was over $200. Forget that. Dont miss the extra tv channels

Just got rid of cable last month and I have Netflix & Amazon Prime streaming through my fiance's xbox. Saving about $60 a month!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    For those that have Hulu Plus, do you still see/watch commercials? I remember when we tried it (over a year ago) we still saw commercials (though we were using the free trial) -- We decided that there was absolutely no reason to pay for Hulu Plus when we can watch most of the shows on free Hulu when we still had to watch the darned commercials!
    Yes, there are still ads.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

We have Netflix and plan on ditching the cable when we move. We aren't big movie watchers and use Redbox if there is something that we want to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

We have bare-bones basic TV through Comcast, which is also our internet provider; we have faster-then-Fios internet + TV for about $60/month. Add on Netflix with DVD option ($16/month) and Hulu Plus ($7/month), and I have Amazon Prime (which we rarely use for TV streaming, but it's there)... I also have TiVo, which I tried to cancel but they offered me lifetime subscription for $6/month, so I kept it. We stream through Roku and the TiVo player (depending on the room).

Generally, we use TiVo as our first choice to record things like Downton Abbey, The Walking Dead, The Following, etc., because we can skip through the commercials. If there's something we forget to record, Hulu is good for catching it, but the mandatory commercials annoy me. (Granted, they're not as long as regular TV commercials, but after TiVo, I am completely spoiled with avoiding commercials.)

Having TiVo and basic cable probably makes Hulu redundant, but the Hulu bill is paid by the hubby, and he likes Hulu, so we keep it. If it were up to me, I'd stick with TiVo and Netflix.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I have Hulu Plus! I'm in college and can only catch shows here and there, so it's perfect. The only cable provider in my area is Comcast and even splitting the cost between three of my housemates was still crazy. You can find a pretty good amount of current tv shows on the internet now, free through the tv station's website, (like Lifetime's Project Runway).