The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The belly rope method I was taught. A slip knot (or ring as goodhorse suggested) with the rope around the flank area not behind the front legs. There is zero give in that location. Rope end is then run between the front legs through the halter ring and tied to a neutral position. The physics puts the pressure behind the belly at the flank while keeping their head down at the same time. They cannot go up and sit down. It does work. However with a smart older puller it only works as long as the rope in employed. Take the rope away they will once again pull. "Dem Saddlebred's is smart."*sigh*

I only have one experience with this, but my horse has pulled back once in the crossties. To this day I do not know why. He was tacked up, I was behind him putting my boots on. No indication that anything was wrong previously. Suddenly he just sat on his ass. Had he been wearing a leather or thin nylon halter, it would have broken, but he was wearing a doubled nylon halter, and one of the crossties snapped first. He lost his balance, fell off to the side against a wall, flailed and managed to fall over on his other side, and scraped himself up pretty badly in addition to a mild muscle tear in his hindquarters. Also messed up his neck pretty well as he was still attached to the other crosstie while he was fighting to right himself. Lots of vet and chiro visits resulting from that. He hasn't pulled back since, though, but I always tie him in a breakable halter now. I'm not a fan of rope halters.

After working on the track and seeing how racehorses were tied (with the rope up high and attached to the SIDE of the halter-not below) and how even with these high strung, claustrophobic animals I never saw one freak out or hurt itself tied like that, I wish more people knew about it and could tie their horses that way. Not saying no horse would get hurt, but it seems to be the safest way to tie them and cause the least reactions.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

1 members found this post helpful.