The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sporthorse breeders in MD/VA?

I'm not currently looking for a prospect but might be in the semi-near future. I'm a bit new to the area and wondering which farms are in the area breeding sporthorse prospects? I'd be looking for a hunter that would grow to at least 16.2hh. Doesn't have to be a warmblood, I'm quite fond of TBs and currently own an OTTB. I won't have a fortune to spend, so I guess at this point I'm just window shopping. Never hurts to get plenty of research in ahead of time though. Any websites/names would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

You could look at the MidAtlantic Hanoverian club http://www.mahanoverians.com/

We have a lot of breeders in VA and MD in the club.

There is a two year old in training sale in Timonium the Monday after Preakness. You can get a two year old for less than 2k that is broke.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Bump

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

We are in VA. We have a few foals per year and skies the limit for them. Hard to say what they will become, but have a little bit if everything.

Some have become jumpers,eventers, and shown in hunter breeding classes.

You're always welcome for a visit.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

I got my really lovely 2yo mare from a guy who has a small but extremely well thought out Holsteiner breeding program near Frederick. I hope to get many future babies from him despite the cross-country travel that entails!

Sparling Rock Holsteiner: http://www.watersedgefarmllc.com/bre...rling_rock.htm

Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Check out New Blessing Farm, they stand the stallion Legaczy. Karen is a small breeder of lovely, lovely horses.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Last Laugh Farm

Not to far over the MD border is Last Laugh Farm in Grantville, PA. They have a lovely breeding program with young horses available that could go in a number of rings. They breed several foals a year, and prefer to keep them till they are started under saddle, so they usually have several on farm to try at a time. We are waiting for a break in the weather to go and pick up our new boy from them. I can't wait! I got to meet him as a 3 month old foal at his inspection and now he is turning 3. I can't wait to finally get him home and having a riding horse to show. It has been a long time. David and Ellen are great to work with and will make finding your next prospect and fun one. Good luck.
    http://www.lastlaughfarm.com/
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Pick up a copy of the Equiery - there are always really nice horses, farms, and breeders listed in there.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I got my really lovely 2yo mare from a guy who has a small but extremely well thought out Holsteiner breeding program near Frederick. I hope to get many future babies from him despite the cross-country travel that entails!

Sparling Rock Holsteiner: http://www.watersedgefarmllc.com/bre...rling_rock.htm
    Thanks Lindsey, this means a lot coming from a GP jumper like yourself. I have moved from Waters Edge to a small farm near Columbia, MD. Waters Edge will continue to breed with a few mares I sold her. I have 2 babies coming in the next couple of months, and a 3 year old Cassini II colt in Germany that will be started next month. I may be accross the country, but at least I am not accross the pond! Ha Ha right?

Thanks again.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

The MidAtlantic Hanoverian Breeders can organize a multi-farm visit for anyone shopping for young prospects - foals through under saddle youngsters both with and without show experience.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Default YOU are in a good place to look!

VA/MD has LOTS of horse breeders and some really good ones as well.
    The Equiery and HorseTalk are magazines that have a few, Mid-Atlantic Hannoverian Breeders can put you in contact with Hann breeders.

We are in the Shenandoah Valley, and there are plenty around. Lots up in NOVA.
    Good luck with your shopping.
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

We are just over the line into NC from VA (Norfolk/Hampton Roads area) and have young homebred prospects as well as 5 foals on the way beginning mid March!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

This may be further than you want to go, but Rolling Stone Farm in Slatington Pa usually has a very good selection of nice prospects for various disciplines.

I breed Thoroughbreds and Thoroughbred/Warmblood crosses. Lots of photo albums of my homebreds on facebook.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    I have moved from Waters Edge to a small farm near Columbia, MD. Waters Edge will continue to breed with a few mares I sold her. I have 2 babies coming in the next couple of months, and a 3 year old Cassini II colt in Germany that will be started next month. I may be accross the country, but at least I am not accross the pond! Ha Ha right?
    That would have been even easier to get to from my [former] company HQ, Tim....I feel like with your location you really should be part of the Q family rather than the company you're at! I'm working with the LT facility in Frederick, and I'm sure my boss can't figure out why I keep offering to go meet with them in person. When the subject comes up there's an [unspoken] thought process that goes something like this: "ah yes, it would be a nice time to plan a visit to see some lovely Holsteiner babies." You'll have to post FB pics when your babies arrive so I know when to plan my "business" trip

And yes, much easier to ship from the other coast than another country

I would enjoy your visit Lindsey, and thanks for the FB pics of Cassiana, I will be sure to show you the babies when they arrive. 1st one at the end of March. You will have to let me know how things are going with the Q folks, next time when we chat.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

We are just over the MD line in PA near Gettysburg, just over an hour from Leesburg. We have been breeding warmbloods for over 30 years, including top hunters such as Oberon, Sail Away, Enough Said. We have also bred some FEI Level Dressage horses as well. We stand the stallion Beste Gold, who is producing Amateur friendly 3'6" and Derby horses, and FEI prospects. We have some very talented youngsters line bred from Absatz( perhaps the most prolific Hann blood in Hunters in the USA) Our homebrbeds are reasonably priced and at all stages of growth and training.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB