The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok I have to ask, for those who have had a Mirena taken out does it hurt then as well?
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Like a previous poster, my niece is a product of an IUD. everything seemed OK for my SIL (strings), but still got pregnant
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

My new gynecologist recommended I get Mirena. She told me that she likes to put it I'm while you're on your period, as it would be less painful. Has anyone else heard this?

She said it wouldn't help my skin clear up like the pill did--darn. I can't decide if I'd rather just do the pill or go ahead with Mirena. After reading these posts, I'm terrified to have it put in!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Really it hurts, but it doesn't hurt for a long time, just while they are doing it. But apparently people are getting numbed up before it happens, I didn't have that option. I don't have a huge pain tolerance either.

Not liking hearing about the unplanned pregnancies though. I mean isn't that the point of the stupid thing?
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

I must be freakish then, I've never been pregnant (we adopted our son) and after the local I had no pain. Even the doctor commented that my lack of pain was unusual. At least I'm good for 5 years now.

It was good enough for Cleopatra, seriously. The Egyptians used a form of IUD.

You should have it put in when you are having your period because you are more dilated, according to my doctor way back then. It does not hurt at all. And the strings should be cut to prevent infection. If the IUD is inserted properly, it won't come out. (And I figured I did not want to be checking it all the time.)

I have the only one that wasn't recalled way back in the dark ages. (After Cleopatra's time, but decades and decades ago.) My great internist referred me to the best gynecologist in town, and he chose the IUD. (I'd used birth control pills with no problems for 6 yrs before that.)

My mother was one of 8 kids. My father was one of 6 kids. Fertility runs in my family, on both sides. Both the pill and the IUD work, if you get the right doctor and the right device.

I'm thinking of having my IUD removed and framed. Except I worry that I'd be one of those front page miracle birth at my age, so it will stay in.

Eek between the stories of painful insertion and unwanted pregnancies on this thing I am even more on the fence!

A friend of mine has it and says she has terrible cramps that she never had previously. I'm a bit of a pansy so not sure it's a good idea for me...

I heard a story on NPR about shady private practice doctors in India conning women into unnecessary hysterectomies (told them they were going to get cancer if uterus was not removed.) Women then have to take loans to pay for the surgery.

Cost. $200. My only thought was, "Can I get a hysterectomy for $200 if I go to India? I want a $200 hysterectomy!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine is a Lippes Loop. I got it a couple of months after my daughter was born, in 1977. Still have it, 35 years later. My doctors always said that as long as it wasn't causing any problems, there was no reason to remove it. I was fortunate - normal periods, no cramping.

I had a Mirena. Getting it put in was no big deal, but it was only a few months after my daughter had been born. Having it was great, no cramping, no periods.

BUT. I got pregnant five months later. It was ectopic, and I had to deal with a lengthy series of medical issues, blood tests every 2 days for weeks, and finally termination of the pregnancy. It was a horrible ordeal. After all was said and done, my OB said, "Well, now you still need birth control. You're still a good candidate for the Mirena." I nearly punched him. NO THANK YOU.

So, I was one of the .09%. I do know another woman who got pregnant while on Mirena; her daughter is now three years old. I guess nothing is foolproof!

If you want something that maybe isn't an IUD but still is typically 100% covered by insurance, you may look into Implanon. Its an insert in your upper arm, lasts about 3 years (if I remember right) and you can't forget it take it. Bonus for me: NO PERIODS. It was glorious. Sadly had to have it removed because a med I was being started on for another health condition screwed with the hormones making them less effective.

I now have the Paragard and am very happy. The only thing that I don't like is my period is heavier, but it's also shorter (3-4 days and it's done). My doc gave me a medication to soften the cervix (can't remember the drug name, in L&D it's called Cytotec) and then had me take tylenol an hour before my appointment time. I've never had a child, but insertion was pretty much pressure for me, no pain with the meds.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I had this bugger in for 3 years almost to the day. It was incredibly painful going in (I have never delivered a child..apparently it's much, much better if you have). I'd like to think I have a high pain tolerance but it HURT. I bled for about a month on and off before things got normal and then didn't really have a period anymore. I had it taken out because I had crazy severe mood swings (more then just the usual, expected mood swings), a lot of weight gain, pain that came and went in my abdomen whenever it felt like it. I really just did not feel like myself the whole time I had it. For awhile I thought something was just plain wrong with me! I had it taken out (easy peezy...wish it had been that way going in!) and in the past month and a half have returned to my normal self, I feel so so so much better.

However, it did indeed do it's job, no babies!
    -SW-
    Precious Few- 1998 OTTB

I had one for 4 years. Pain free insertion and removal. Periods stayed normal, and I never cramp. I loved it...best BC ever!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."