The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On the topic of BC...IUD anyone?

I'm thinking about getting an IUD. I was on the pill for years to even out hormone swings, but I was AWFUL at remembering to take it. I also go on multi-month field projects, and it was a PITA to remember (and procure) four months worth of pills ahead of time. I like the idea of having my BC taken care of for the next five years, and I checked that my insurance will pay 100% of it. What worries me a little is that I heard that getting it in hurts like a b!0tch, and the first month or so is not so pleasant. Also, much as I'd looove to not have a period I also wonder if I'd be consistently paranoid that I was part of the 1% fail rate.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Yup.....have an IUD (MIRENA, the one that delivers hormone) have had it for 7 years now. Had the first one put in after little miss horsey mum's birth. I have not had any side effects and I no longer really have a period. I know that some people have had reactions to them, but I guess that is a possibility whatever route you decide to go. Getting it put in doesn't hurt, I have had it done twice now and I didn't feel a thing, also no first month issues here, but again everyone has a different experience. Also getting it put it takes all of thirty seconds, I would recommend it for sure.

I had mine for 2 years. Quick, sharp pain going in and like a strong, dull ache for a week after. Definitely call your doctor for meds if you're hurting.

Once you get used to it, it's like it doesn't exist. So worth it. Having it removed was totally painless, and I got preg 10 weeks after. Once I deliver I will have it put in again.

I had a difficult time adjusting to pills and the patch (constantly nauseated, legs swelling, etc), and thought about an IUD, but did not want a hormonal one. After discussing it with my husband for some time, we felt it was the better option for him to have a vasectomy. I don't have to worry about hormone manipulation, anything falling out leading to a pregnancy, etc. Works for us.
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be ignited." - Plutarch

Owned by: Ghold Nugget (Gold Luck - Pablo - Weltmeyer)

I like my IUD. Due to come out in October.

Insertion was painful but not unbearable so. The first couple months kind of sucked but afterward smooth sailing.

Most importantly, it's doing it's job.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

I had a mirena put inserted in November. My doctor did a local cervical anesthetic, which happened to numb me clear to my nose. I only felt pressure. Since then, I've only had a random cramp followed by a very small amount of spotting. My only real complication is that my body sucked the strings up inside resulting in an ultrasound to confirm that the iud was still in the right place. So far, I'm really happy with it.

I've had the Mirena IUD for four years - I wish I hadn't taken the pill for so many years, since the IUD is so convenient and ended up saving me money.

Insertion wasn't bad, and I had sex that night. Pretty sure everyone has different pain tolerances, though.

My period hasn't completely gone away, but it mostly has. I would definitely recommend it.

I have one and love it. However, I was one of the ones for whom the insertion was RIDICULOUSLY painful. Like seriously the worst pain I have ever experienced, and that includes 30+ years of riding incidents, broken bones, you name it... I'm your usual tough-cookie horse person, but the IUD about did me in.

One big factor was the fact I've never been pregnant... Two, it was not my usual gyno who inserted it; it was a midwife who'd had a couple of IUD's herself (post-pregnancies of course) and never thought to give me any sort of a local or topical anesthetic, because of course hers (post-pregnancy) never hurt. (Well duh, you shot a watermelon through your cervix; of COURSE a little IUD barely even registered.)

Anyway, other than that, the IUD has been wonderful... No period, no cramping, nada. I'm due for another one next month; this time I'm not letting anyone near me with it until my cervix is numbed into oblivion though!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I dearly wish local anesthesia had been an option when I tried the mirena! It hurt more than I care to say, but i was nervous about it beforehand and though I tried to calm down I think it affected me too much. The doctor didn't want to continue because I was so uncomfortable, and he hadn't made any progress through the cervix. Anesthesia and a cervical dilation would have been REALLY nice. Insertion is supposedly more painful for women who haven't delivered babies before. I'll add too that i am kind of... sensitive, a historically get really squirmy and hate pap tests and pelvic exams more than anything (the breast exam is horrible too! Ahh ok im making myself break into a cold sweat now)...
    So I went with the depo shot :-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

How often do you have to have one put in? I know there is one that stays in until you want children, but a poster above said she was due for her next one.

Can you request local anesthesia before hand? I have never been pregnant.

Can you feel it? How do you know it's still in?

I am horrible at taking BC at the same time daily.

Mirena is for 5 years. I believe Paraguard lasts 10?

I took some Midol before going into the appointment.

You should be able to feel the ends of the strings if you reach up there. Sometimes they can sort of stick against the walls/cervix and you can't really feel em anymore. I've heard of them falling out though.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Paragard is good for 10 yrs.

A lot of practioners and TEXTBOOKS are still woefully outdated on the IUD in terms of its safety (super safe), efficacy (just about as good as sterilization) & mechanism of action.

When I run the universe everyone will get one when they hit puberty.

5 members found this post helpful.

My gyno advised me to take a couple of Tylenol before the appointment... I'm one who NEVER takes pain meds (I refused them even after a broken collarbone and a surgery), so I figured if a couple of Tylenol would have been enough to manage whatever the Mirena insertion might bring, certainly I could power through with nothing.

LOL, HAHAHA, no.

My regular gyno apologized when I came in a couple weeks later for the follow-up; she looked at my chart and told me she was so sorry, but if she'd have done it (she was on vacation that week), she'd have used a local anasthetic.

Ah well... Now I know for next time.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Well, I guess someone has to chime in who had a horrible experience with Mirena. Insertion wasn't a problem, but the massive amounts of cramping was debilitating. I don't get menstrual cramps (maybe that's why this was so difficult for me?) but I almost blacked out from pain while driving a few times. The cramping would start up with no warning, and go to an 8 out of 10 pain-wise in 5 seconds.

My insurance didn't pay for Mirena, so I paid $500 for one horrible month of birth control. Since your insurance pays, I would still recommend trying it.

I've had the Mirena for about 3 years - never had any problems. I was actually put out for it so didn't feel a thing - after either. When I had an x-ray last year at my chiro I was relieved to see it there because I wouldn't know otherwise. I don't have periods and I lost some weight from going off the pill (doctor said due to the lower hormones in the Mirena).

WHAT?!?! there is a local anathetic???? Oh my! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Mirena, I hated having it put in! It was the worst pain ever but only lasted 15 seconds. The first time I got it in 3 months after having my third child. It hurt, not so bad. Cramping for a few days. I could live with that knowing I was going to have FIVE years of no periods, no cramping! Second time they took it out and then put a new one in. Yes it hurt. Like hitting a nerve in a tooth. But here we are a year later and again no period, no cramping. I'll take it! Now if someone just alleviates my fears of getting cancer from it!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

1 members found this post helpful.

What about trying something in between the IUD and the pill? Like the Nuvaring.

I had been on the pill since I was 16 due to irregular periods. I'm 37 and got the Mirena last year after going to a new gyno.

The slight discomfort they talk about on their website is an understatement. It freaking hurt when she put it in. I had to take some hormone pill the day before and the morning of and she told me to take some motrin before hand. She told me I did well, much better then her previous patient, who by they way was white as a ghost when she walked into the reception area after her procedure...But the pain was brief. I can't really describe it. I've never had a child so maybe that is why it hurt more.

Life was hell for 2-3 months after getting it, I had gone from not getting my period for a year to just yuck. Then it stopped again. I have polycystic ovary syndrome. I do have some pain here and there that I never had before getting the Mirena but it's fine.

Oh and I lost about 10 pounds after getting the Mirena that was awesome.

So I hope I haven't shared too much but what the heck, might as well tell ya what happens...
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

I looked into Nuvaring, but my insurance barely covered any of the costs on it, and ongoing cost was a consideration for me. For the IUD, I just paid the $20 office visit co-pay, insurance covered the device.

I mentioned before the insertion wasn't bad - I did have a local anesthetic, and if I remember correctly I think it was not just on the cervix but actually injected into the uterus. I have never had children, either.

I do get cramps that are much worse than what I had on the pill, but I think that's because the pill suppresses ovulation and the IUD doesn't. I guess it's good to know I'm still ovulating. The hormones in the pill didn't bother me, and they don't bother my in the IUD. My skin didn't get better or worse when I went off the pill, either, and that had been a concern of mine.

I agree with the poster above - if your insurance pays for it, go for it. Even if they don't pay for it, I think the rewards if it works are worth the $500 cost risk.

No pain during insertion but I got pregnant on the IUD 8 weeks after I got it and 12 weeks post partum. Thankfully mine had moved to my cervix and did not affect my pregnancy. I checked my strings regularly. I was breastfeeding too so I really wasn't expecting this.

I know two other people who got pregnant on it, and one person whose fell out. Another who had some kind of nasty medical problem on it (I forgot the details but I do remember it was very TMI).

My step dad is a high risk OB. My mom said he probably wasn't up on BC since that wasn't something he dealt with regularly so I didn't ask. He didn't reccomend them when I spoke with him later because they can move around, and scores of other things.

Obviously plenty of people have them successfully but after my experience and other people's... wouldn't be my choice anymore. Got my tubes tied, 2 kids was enough for me!