The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default interval training iphone app?

does anyone know of an iphone app that can be set to beep at specific intervals, for doing trot/canter sets? like that you could set ahead of time to beep at 5 mins, then 1 min, then 5 again, etc. i thought maybe there's either an eventing one or something designed for runners or something out there. thanks!

There are a ton of them - just search "intervals" in the app store. Personally, I've just been using Map My Run and setting it to a voice cue every minute. I also set it to tell me my current speed, which is a helpful little sanity check on canter sets.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use interval run, you can set any sort of thing you want, it will give you a 3-2-1 countdown for every change (walk and run usually, you can set it for whatever you want though), and it gives you a half way notification if you wish and it is super easy to set new intervals

There are HUNDREDS of them for the exercise-obsessed.

I would, however, recommend just using a watch and your brain. It's excellent mental exercise, staves off dementia, and if your 1st and 2nd watches fail when you're starting out on phase C, you had better darn well be able to think fast and do some mental math!

Call me curmudgeonly, but isn't this what a humble digital watch is for?

(I am PROFOUNDLY math-impaired, and I can manage a full interval workout with just a watch. Can't stand things beeping--a reaction to my job, no doubt)
    Click here before you buy.

i am a low-level eventer, i just wear a super basic digital watch on xc and i don't even pay attention to it really. as far as intervals, i can do the math easily enough, but when i'm trying to ride and i'm frozen and have a million layers on, it's difficult to even get to my watch to look at it! maybe i should wear it as a necklace or something instead..

thanks all, i'm not at all surprised there are a lot of them, glad to have some recommendations!

1 members found this post helpful.

Trust me, you don't want to be fiddling with your iPhone with mittens and frozen hands out in the snow, either.

Actually I always used to keep my watch . . . on my stirrup. It was part of my homemade heart rate monitor and worked best down there to pick up the heart rate signal. It had BIG numbers and all I had to do was look down. I made it not beep--see above.

My old mare, Gwen, was so danged smart about intervals--if we were doing 3 x 5 minute canters, after the first set she would know it was 5 minutes for the next two, and DANGED if she didn't pull herself up within 10-15 seconds of that 5 (or 4 or 6, whatever it was that day) minute mark!
    Click here before you buy.

hah that's why i want something that WILL beep at me, so i don't have to look at/mess with anything. i don't think i could see it on my stirrup, but maybe i can attach a watch to a d ring on my saddle or something, that would be visible.

I use UltraTimer for my iPhone for my trot/ canter sets. I start the app, ride, and it lets me know when I'm done. No touching needed after I start it
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com