The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite fish-keeping sites?

My son just got two platys. I'm not up to speed on keeping fishies and trying to get educated.

What sites do you recommend?
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

The forum for Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine is kind of slow, but they are pretty decent about not crucifying noobs for being clueless about water chemistry etc. At least if you come clean about being a clueless noob from the start, LOL. The moderators know their fish. www.tfhmagazine.com

Aquatic Plant Central has more traffic and more seriousness, but it's still mostly frequented by people who want to be sane about the hobby. www.aquaticplantcentral.com

The Planted Tank is another level of geeky intensity above that. Same kinds of passionate and bitter arguments you get on CoTH, with people storming off in a huff. Just substitute fish for horses. ("You'll kill your loaches if you use that substrate!" "I've been using this substrate for years, and my loaches are perfectly healthy" "Why are you keeping loaches at all; they eat your shrimp and dig up your plants.") www.plantedtank.net

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, carp. Especially for pointing out the levels of intensity!

I'm definitely a clueless noob, have no trouble admitting it. I know water chemistry is involved and did do a test today, but that's about as far as it goes, since we only got the fishies on Sunday.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~