The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which other driver offense bothers you the most?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • going well below the speed limit except in no passing zones when the driver

1 1.69%
  • below speed limit but who speed up in yellow zones making it impossible safely to pass

10 16.95%
  • ahead of you below the speed limit

11 18.64%
  • passing everyone as if they were playing ‘Frogger’

4 6.78%
  • letting turn flashers continue when they clearly don’t notice

1 1.69%
  • failing to signal turns/lane changes

9 15.25%
  • with non-functioning brake lights/turn signal lights

0 0%
  • tailgating when you’re exceeding the speed limit

17 28.81%
  • weaving from lane to lane

2 3.39%
  • doing other dangerous/annoying things (pls specify for future poll revisions)

4 6.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bad driving - cars, not horse trailers

Which particular driving incompetence grates on you the most?

This latest COTH poll software doesn't allow corrections and cuts poll options off mid-sentence with no warning. I will try again later or next OT day. Sorry.
    Last edited by Adamantane; Feb. 7, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

More of a rudeness, I guess, than an incompetence, but probably tailgating. Though failing to signal is also right up there!
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

People that sit in the passing lane, and let a line of cars build up behind them. If you are in the left lane and a car gets behind you, pull to the right to let them pass. It doesn't matter if you are going the speed limit. The left lane is the "passing lane".

Right behind that are the people that don't use turn signals, and people that pull out from a side road right in front of you then go 10 mi below the speed limit.

7 members found this post helpful.

Failure to signal and failure to yield the passing lane give me fits. Generally "rude" driving- cutting people off, tailgating (especially when you CLEARLY cannot go any faster/move over) frenetic lane hopping......

I have often wondered, if you put a blood pressure cuff on me in the car, how high i'd spike when I get pissed off driving, which is pretty frequent during the morning commute.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    People that sit in the passing lane, and let a line of cars build up behind them. If you are in the left lane and a car gets behind you, pull to the right to let them pass. It doesn't matter if you are going the speed limit. The left lane is the "passing lane".

Right behind that are the people that don't use turn signals, and people that pull out from a side road right in front of you then go 10 mi below the speed limit.
    I'm with jetsmom! I hate when people drive slowly in the fast lane and ignore the people behind them that want to go the speed limit. Or the people that want to go over the speed limit. It's not your job to slow me down.

Tailgating and speeding.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Merging, people here are completely unaware of how to merge without causing massive traffic backups or flat out running you over. Head-desk...
    Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...

Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

There was supposed to be a poll with this before it posted, but I appreciate the feedback.

I hate this defective software that truncates polls and allows no corrections

How about all of the above? There is a poll that I see but just about all of it drives me buggy. I hate it when a big rig needs to move over, like there is a line of merging vehicles and not enough room and some fool, or several, stay right there amidships until the rig just moves over anyway or the mergers have to hit the brakes. Here in KY there's no reason for that, the freeway isn't so crowded that a driver can't just let off on the gas a little and let the truck move over ahead. Neither are the roadways. Happens a lot near the Toyota plant.

Getting passed on the right by somebody that had to drive on the shoulder to do it. Getting passed at all when you are driving x car lengths behind somebody who isn't going any faster than you are. Inevitably the passer runs up to the next car and then hits the brakes. Why?

Turn signals - lack thereof and blinking forever.

Double tobacco wagons. No lights, no brakes, on the highways (not the interstate thank god) and slow. I've gone to pass them before only to see that the truck is putting on it's turn signal so it's either go for broke or hit the brakes and hope that nobody is going to pull out behind you to pass also.

CA was He!! on Earth traffic wise, KY should be much better, instead people are stupid so it's a little better.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Yes to "all of the above", but tailgating irritates me most of all. I drive pretty fast, often well over the limit, and STILL there are people riding my rear end, when they could easily move over to the left most lane on the three lane highway I take to work and just pass me if they are in that much of a hurry.

My wagon has a back window washer thing...I turned it around and it squirts the car in back of me . Few things have been more satisfying than soaking the woman in a convertible behind me, putting on her makeup at 75 mph, while riding my rear bumper. My husband suggested I put food coloring in my washer fluid to make it look like pee...though I think it would just turn green.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Yes to "all of the above", but tailgating irritates me most of all. I drive pretty fast, often well over the limit, and STILL there are people riding my rear end, when they could easily move over to the left most lane on the three lane highway I take to work and just pass me if they are in that much of a hurry.

My wagon has a back window washer thing...I turned it around and it squirts the car in back of me . Few things have been more satisfying than soaking the woman in a convertible behind me, putting on her makeup at 75 mph, while riding my rear bumper. My husband suggested I put food coloring in my washer fluid to make it look like pee...though I think it would just turn green.
    The ones who irritate me the most are the ones who (and this seems to be the majority of drivers out there):

1. Those who drive 5 mph or more BELOW the speed limit when there is absolutely no reason to do so
    2. Those who leave a big enough gap between themselves and the driver in front of them that anyone trying to turn from a side street decides that there is enough room to do so in front of said person when really there isn't, so everyone on the main road has to slow down even more

My philosophy is to drive between 5 and 8 mph over the speed limit, and if there is no one in front of you, but a huge line of cars behind you, you are clearly driving too slowly and you need to step it up. Sadly, I seem to be the only one who understands it that way.

3 members found this post helpful.

I hate it when people are going 40 getting onto the freeway (either 55 or 65 around here)!

I have seen, and this is no joke; people making LEFT turns from the RIGHT most lane at an intersection. As well as, RIGHTS from the LEFT turn only lane. They just cut right though, how do they not get T-boned?

People braking to let yielding traffic in, (keep going you moron, don't brake!) going 60+ mph.

Hogging the center lane of a 3 lane highway going 40 forcing cars to pass you on the left and right.

The drivers are bad here in Tampa, but the pedestrians are worse!!!! They cross busy traffic in the darkest spots on the street wearing all black, or will cross 50 yards from a cross walk. Or will just run out into the street dragging their children by the hand stopping on the yellow line while 50 mph traffic is whizzing by on both sides OY!

Tailgating. Especially when you are in the right lane and there is a clear left lane for them to pass you. Also tailgating in traffic. There is no possible way for me to get around this semi truck passing a semi, but you riding my ass will make it so this semi will magically move. Yeah no, Brake check.

Also weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, excessive speeding, under the limit by a LOT (50 in a 70) without flashers, and not paying attention when driving with texting or whatever people do (like reading the paper).

Driving is dangerous. People just do not get that they are in a heavy battering ram and human life is fragile. It is fine that you want to drive like a moron, but you are endangering the lives of the people around you who want to live because you cannot wait as I move over and try to get around me by passing on the right even when I have a turn signal on. People are too enraged these days and hoenstly a deep breath cannot hurt anyone. Slow down and drive safe.

*end rant*
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I think we're going to separate the two teams here-the tailgaters and the slow drivers! LOL

I hate tailgaters-they get in my space, distract me, and threaten me if I have to hit the skids for a deer or anything else. I am no speed demon in rural Montana and I will pull over, edge over, or veer off and make the tailgaters go around. I am almost always going the speed limit or reasonable for conditions, those being boatloads of moose, deer and elk crossing at dusk.

I've driven past people that rammed up my rear end with their bright halogen headlights and rode me like a rented mule until I could edge over and get them out of my rear end and literally a mile down the road they are pulled over with a dead deer and busted SUV. I laugh. On two occasions we pulled over to kill the animal and did not laugh. But never were we kind to the speed demons.

Left lane hogs, we have a " left lane passing only lane" law in this state. Particularly left lane hogs that go 10 below the speed limit. Not only is it irritating but dangerous!

Ugh, tailgating or driving well under the speed limit w/ no excuse (weather, traffic, emergency flashers on, etc.) Though is it bad to say that cops are one of my biggest pet peeves? At least around here, they drive like maniacs (speeding, weaving in and around traffic, etc.) Just yesterday I had one riding my bumper. yes I was in the left lane, but yes, I was trying to pass 2 cars going 50 in a 55. I'm sorry sir, but unless you would like me to hit them, I can't move over, and I'm not about to get a speeding ticket just so you can get around me! I also can't stand when they put on their sirens to get thru a red light at an intersection, making all the cars try to move over when there's no where to go, and then immediately turn them off as soon as they are thru it. Drives me nuts! (no pun intended )

Police officer here .

Speed and following too close are the number one causes of most of the collisions I respond to around here. Beyond that, interacting with something inside the vehicle, whether it's that bag that just started to fall off the passenger seat, the radio, or a cell phone. I actually have dash cam video from where I was finishing up a call, and standing on the sidewalk next to my marked patrol vehicle, and a collision occurred right in front of me. In the video, I just sigh and walk over to contact the second vehicle, and the girl's response after I make sure she was ok was "I didn't even see her stop!" Well...yes....it's mighty dark in someone's tailpipe, so I can see how that might happen.

As a DRIVER, electronic devices. I've been almost hit by a woman on her cell phone while on my motorcycle, and she never ever saw me. At all. That and tailgating. So I picked "other" in the poll.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Covergirl15 View Post
    I also can't stand when they put on their sirens to get thru a red light at an intersection, making all the cars try to move over when there's no where to go, and then immediately turn them off as soon as they are thru it. Drives me nuts! (no pun intended )
    I assume of course that you have a scanner in your car and are listening in and know for certain that there is nothing they are trying to get to quickly, but doesn't qualify as a full on "code" run.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl