The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

54 daytime 50 at night. Trying hard to hold on hold out. in Minnesota its a challenge.

54 during the day 48 to 50 at night. lots of layers blankets in minnesota its what i have to do to survive, going through a severre rough patch.

I live in a small apartment (3 rooms including bathroom) and each has a separate dial thermostat. I'm not sure how accurate the heat is, but I generally only turn on the heat in the main room and leave it off in the bedroom and bathroom (doors stay open). I keep it at 65 when I'm home in the evening and turn it down to 60 when I go to bed, usually leave it there for the next day (sometimes I turn it down to 55). I have lots of blankets on the bed so I am always toasty... it's getting up in the cold apartment that's the problem!

68 or 67 in winter, 75-77 in the summer time. I don't mind cold to a certain extent but the house gets very cold at times. I have an Eden heater in my room to bring the temp up at night as the room doesn't get very good air return.

68 in the winter, 80 in the summer.

I'm always cold in winter, so sleep on flannel sheets, with two down comforters, and two beagles.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

If it's 70 I'm living rough or too lazy to fire up my fat granny ( I say that wood heat is like getting a hug from your fat granny). In the winter I keep the house closer to 80 than 70. It may get down to that at night when the fire dies down and the baseboard has to do work. In the summer it's about that same temperature since I hate air conditioning and therefore don't have it.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Wow I feel like a wuss. I am outside all day so I am sick of being cold by the time I come inside. We have the programable thermostat set to 70 from 5pm on and all weekend then 66 during the work day. My dogs and an elderly cat are home all day and I want them warm.

My house has essentially no climate control and lousy insulation. There is a completely useless electric wall heater by the living room door. It does have a fireplace but only really good when you are going to be home for several hours which is rarely the case for me. It's hard to get out of bed when it's 45 degrees. And I live in sunny California!!!! On those cold mornings, I make use of my bathroom heater and get dressed in there. As I write this. I am wearing a down vest. Summers can be 90 degrees in here too! But I've been in this place for 5 years and I'm still alive and kicking! On the positive side. I have great views, the rent is a good deal, and I have lots of space.

We have a big old rambling farmhouse (about 3000 sf, and not that well arranged) so we have three "zones" in our house. The main part is on a programmable thermostat which is set at 58 overnight, 64 in the early mornings, back down to 60 during the day. "Zone 2" is where we spend the least time and is set at 50 on a dial thermostat, though we can turn it up. The upstairs bathroom is part of Zone 2, but has a heater fan as well as a vent from the basement that sends up a lot of warm air. Ditto my office space, though I keep it at 60 for the sake of my cats, who live there (husband is very allergic.) This is also a new part of the house so it's very well insulated and easy to keep warm.

In the summer we have two window A/C units, one for the kitchen and one for my husband's office and our bedroom. We do not run them all the time, though.

We are gradually adding insulation to the older parts of the house. Our bedroom (in zone 1) used to have beam ceilings and no insulation and was wicked cold in the winter. As part of the re-roofing we did a couple of years ago, we had external insulation added before the new roof was put on. That bedroom is now the warmest room in the house in the winter, and stays cooler in the summer, too.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

71 during heating season, and 76 in AC season. I grew up in a very poorly insulated house, and the heat was virtually turned off at night, and my room was always colder in winter, so I swore when it was my heat bill that I would set it and leave it. I know it costs me more money, but I'm going to be comfortable. Besides, the 71 degrees is the inside wall so it's actually not that warm in most of the house. I don't turn it down at night either, because waking up freezing will keep me awake until I'm comfortable, so I'm not doing that either.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I'm in Florida so heat is never on. I keep the AC at 74 at night and 76 during the day. In the winter we open the windows.

When I lived in Minnesota the heat was usually set to 68.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

We have a pellet stove in the living room that we run at 75 so the rest of the house is comfy (BR at the other end of the house is probably 65 during the day). It's funny to see the pups panting while we're watching tv in the winter. In the summer we set the central AC at 78, down to 74 at night.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

We live in a large very old farm house, thats very drafty. We are set at 80, allthough some of the additional rooms are less. We have made improvements where we could but its still cold and drafty. I grew up in this house and remember as a kid when we only had 1 woodstove and our bedroom walls would have frost on them, and a wet wash cloth would freeze to the bathroom floor. No AC I live for summer!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I live in a 900 sq ft duplex built in the late 1960s. When I'm using heat, it's at 65 when I'm not here and I bump it up to 68 when I get home, maybe even to 70 or 72 if it's damp and chilly like today. I knock it back down to around 65 at night. As for air conditioning, I turn it up to 80 when I'm not here and set it at 75 when I am here. However, when the temperature exceeds 105 F, the AC comes lower. The insulation is crappy here, but as a renter, I can't do anything about it.

We turn the heat totally off at night - unless below zero - we like to sleep cold. I am always better rested that way, hunkered in under the covers, dogs snuggled close!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

62 burrrr....... otherwise the furance runs constantly!

We have a programmable thermostat and central heating and air, which is nice. It is set at 58 from 9am to 5pm, goes up to 64 at 5pm and stays there until 10pm, goes back down to 58 until 5am when it goes up to 64.

With that schedule the house is ok when we are home and we are not wasting energy when we are not. During the winter we usually build a fire in the evening, and if I'm home during the day I will build a fire or turn the thermostat up.

SO prefers it colder than I do, so I am usually sitting in front of the fire wearing sweats and drinking a hot cup of tea; meanwhile, SO is sitting on the couch wearing a tshirt, drinking a cold beer and complaining that the house (which will warm up to about 68 when the fire is going even when the heat is off) is too warm.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

My house is at 70 year around. We pay for it too. I would rather it be colder at night, but hubby won't hear of it.

I live in Texas. Our apartment is horribly insulated.

When it was "winter" we had the heat on for about two weeks at 70.

I have the front and back windows cracked (at least) all day every day and the screen door open if I am home. We are on the third floor and in a corner unit.

We actually didn't turn the A/C on at all last summer--used our fans. However this past fall we put shades over the screen door (one side is that light blocking fabric) and we have a tapestry we hang over the other window. Hoping to keep the apartment (all 600 sq ft) of it pretty cool that way! Ceiling fans too.

In the winter 67 during the day and 60 at night. During the summer 72 during the day and 66 at night. I like it cold at night.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant