The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Funny; I do like the house warm, but I like to sleep cool so I close the door and turn off the baseboard in the bedroom.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I'm in South Florida as well, so I never turn the heat on. Even in the summer, I really only run the AC when it's time for bed (or occasionally when I'm doing housework and it's a really hot/humid one outside). Almost always set to 72ish.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Depends on whose home & what there doing.

Just got prog thermo so 64 during day, 68 @ evening, 64 @ night, back to 70 in am when all are getting ready, summer is a fight I like it 75 DH likes it 70 so we cant get along.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

66 during the day and 62 at night. We do have a gas fireplace though, so that adds lots of extra warmth.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

68 - I refuse to be cold in my own house!
    If I set it any lower, my LR - with near floor-to-ceiling casement windows on one wall gets unbearable.
    As it is, I keep a fleece throw on the sofa and share that with the cat if I'm sitting.
    Plus I have a small oil-filled radiator pointed at the couch.

But I am happier sleeping in a cool room, so glad my BR is cooler than that.
    Not sure why as BR is directly over the furnace and has windows on 2 walls - fewer & not nearly as large as LR ones.

Summers I avoid turning on the AC until it gets into the high 80s & humid.
    Then it gets set to 78.
    I'd rather have a fan running than close up the house for the AC.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    55 at night and when we're at work. About 63 when we're home, but if we are doing a lot of sitting around for the night, we might bump it up to 66 or 67. Most of the evening when I'm home I'm moving around doing housework or cooking, so I stay comfortable. When I finally sit down to my computer, I have a blanket.
    I have a programmable thermostat (they're easy to install and really worth it!) and my temperatures pretty much match these.

Quote Originally Posted by horseymum View Post
    66 during the day and 62 at night. We do have a gas fireplace though, so that adds lots of extra warmth.
    I've got gas logs, too but don't use them -- the thermostat is in the same room so when those logs are putting out the heat, the furnace never kicks on to heat the rest of the house. ONE of these days I'll have to see about moving that thermostat.

Huge old farm house that is a bear to heat. We keep it at 62 all the time in winter unless we go below zero windchill or regular temp. We just bundle up in flannels/slippers/sweatshirts and cover up with blankets while watching tv.

60 in the evening; 52 overnight with a down comforter;
    60 in the morning. Wood stove on weekends.

I'm surprised how many people keep it so cold during the winter and so warm during the summer.

My house is 70 during the day and 66 at night during winter.
    In summer, it's about the same. Luckily we have some big, meaty air conditioners.

I *hate* being warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravale View Post
    I'm surprised how many people keep it so cold during the winter and so warm during the summer.

My house is 70 during the day and 66 at night during winter.
    In summer, it's about the same. Luckily we have some big, meaty air conditioners.

I *hate* being warm.
    Honestly, you do adapt. I stayed with a relative one night over Christmas and I was sweating because he kept it at 70. I couldn't sleep all night because I felt like I was suffocating!

I turn the heat up when I have company.

In the summer, we don't have central air, so I can't really control the temps... but it doesn't really get that hot here. We have a small window air conditioner in the bedroom, and as long as I can make it cool enough to sleep I'm good to go.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Rural View Post
    60 in the evening; 52 overnight with a down comforter;
    60 in the morning. Wood stove on weekends.
    Yikes! are you and my husband twins?

I'm ok with 60, we have a woodstove, and if the thermostat is 60 I am fine, but he keeps sneaking it down, thinking I won't notice.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

My house is 62 right now, we're still in a snow storm - and it's colder in the upstairs rooms, where we typically don't go during the day. We keep it colder at night, but we have a heated mattress pad, flannel sheets and a down comforter.

It's winter, and we live in Maine. It's normal to be wearing a sweater inside! My kids don't get that. They want to be like their friends whose parents keep the house steaming hot so they can be barefoot and in a t-shirt...!!!

In the summer, I only have AC in the bedroom because I hate no being able to sleep, but we only really need it about a couple weeks tops in the summer. Plus we usually go to better climates in the summer (hot and DRY climates).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

58 overnight; 62-66 during the day.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.