The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What temperature do you keep your house at?

What temperature do you keep your house at? Do you adjust it when you're gone at work and before you go to bed at night?

I purchased my first home recently and am being very conservative about how I heat. I'm curious about what temperatures others keep their houses at.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

72 daytimes and 68 at night. DH works out of the home and I keep irregular hours so we waste quite a bit of energy if I go to bed at 7PM and he stays up till midnite and forgets to turn down the heat. I usually wake up at around 1 AM, too hot, and turn it down. A programmable thermostat is very nice if you have more normal hours.

We also have thermal drapes in front of the sliding glass door and blinds, which we make sure to draw or shut. During the day they are open to allow for thermal gain if it's sunny out.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

During the winter the heat is set at 68 during the day and 65 at night. I am home nearly all day, if I wasn't we would leave the heat at 65 until we got home. In the summer the ac is set to cool the house to 78. Luckily we don't get too many days when it has to come on.

We don't have air conditioning, so the temperature in the summer is what it is. In the winter, we use a programmable thermostat so that it is 68 when we are home and awake and 65 when we're at work/school or in bed. It's actually much colder than 65 upstairs at night, because it's a gambrel house with no attic, single zone heat and the thermostat is on the ground floor. If the house was setup differently, we could set it lower at night.

I just have a little one-bedroom apartment on two levels. I am perfectly comfortable upstairs with the thermostat at 60 or a little below overnight. During the day, I have it around 70. Upstairs is always significantly warmer (I'd estimate by 8-10 degrees) than downstairs in my place.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Our house is 1918, so my room and my sister only has insulation in the ceiling, so our rooms are about 6* warmer than it is outside. The rest of the house (an addition) is fully insulated.

We have a central heating system, but do not really use it because the heat just travels out of the house, so it is expensive and we are mostly in the family room/kitchen area.

We have a Rinanni (gas heater for around 900 sq ft) in the family room/kitchen, and it is set to 68* during the day, but we are usually from 56*-68* during the winter with the heater running, and it goes off at night. Everyone pretty much lives in Mt. Hardwear down sweaters all winter. Its not common for it to be warmer outside than inside!

In the winter it's set to 65 most all the time. My house is a single story U shaped with 3 different units (Kids bedrooms, kitchen/den/living, master/laundry/studio) So if I'm cold I can just bump up the unit that covers the area of the house I'm in. The same in reverse for summer with everything about 77, unless I make a adjustment.

We have a programmable thermostat. I work out of the house, so the daytime is 67 and bumps up to 68 around dinner time. During the night, I have it at 65. Summer temp is set at 78 during the day and 75 at night
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

60 in the winter. Yes, that's cold. I wear extra clothes and lots of blankets on the bed. Worth it to save on the electric bill. My air conditioner is a wall unit and doesn't have a thermostat. In the summer I go to opening windows first. If it's getting to be 80 inside then I close the windows and run the air.

Winter nights: 63 then come up to 68 by 5:30 so I will get up at 6:00
    Summer nights? 74, period. Sweating at 76, can't stand that.

We set ours around 70 during winter (but really it is only about 68 for real), and in the hot hot hot summer we had it around 78 or 80. If it's arid enough, the 80 is plenty, and you feel cold upon entering the house...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

55 at night and when we're at work. About 63 when we're home, but if we are doing a lot of sitting around for the night, we might bump it up to 66 or 67. Most of the evening when I'm home I'm moving around doing housework or cooking, so I stay comfortable. When I finally sit down to my computer, I have a blanket.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

mine is 68 night and day- that is about as low as my tropical birds can handle. In summer I tend to set it to 75-78.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Poor grad student living in a tiny one bedroom. I keep it at 65-68 when I'm home and awake (~5 hours/day ), 60 when I'm in bed or at school. I have a bunch of blankets on my bed and usually lounge around in slippers and either a sweatshirt or my big fluffy robe.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Uhhh ours is set at 73... I'm from the south and luckily hubby is from even farther south (south FL), so no arguments about temps in this house lol. In the summer the AC is set at 76.

I have a programmable thermostat. Mine is set to go to 62 at 8am (we are gone all day), then 65 at 5, 67 at 7, and back to 65 at 10. During the summer, it's at 74 at 8am, 72 at 5, 70 at 7, then 72 at 10. I would have things colder but I have my 8yo son living with me and he generally likes things a little warmer than me. FWIW, I live in a 1968 3-bedroom, 1-story ranch with fully insulated walls and attic.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Ranges from 40* to 100* on any given day. Wood heat only.

Currently it is wimpering along at about 55* and totally ticking me off b/c I'm suffering from smoke inhalation trying to get the dang thing to DRAW in the wet damp inversion weather that is socked into our little valley.

It's free but it's work!

60. In winter when it's very cold I'll go up to 66 or so before I go to bed. I'm perfectly fine in the morning if it's 50-55. It's the heat that gets to me much worse than the cold.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

1 members found this post helpful.

I live alone in the South, so heat is completely OFF during the day when I'm at work. I've found that in the evenings with the 2 unused bedrooms blocked off I can keep the main part of the house a comfy 72-74 and still be way ahead on my electric bill.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

68 in the day and 58 at night. That basically keeps the heat from cycling on at night unless we're down in single digits outside.