The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    maybe you can find a reputable vet where you can take your mare and leave her for a week or two? it sure would save on call charges. this is what i did because the idea of my vet having to travel to me daily was sobering - so off my mare went for a week long stay at his place. it was actually quite nice price wise.

good luck no matter what you do. if you are interested in producing a WB x pony many pony stallions do live cover...
    Great idea and what I plan to do next year. For instance my vet charges board at $25/day, my farm calls are $60. I cannot even imagine how fast that added up with twice a day visits.

I did have a $900 dollar bill for one cycle when she was bred back while out on lease but she did not respond to her first shot of lutelyse, was given another one about a week later... she was at the clinic a ton and lots of farm calls which I didn't realize because she was 8 hours away. All from a $350 all inclusive package... lol. Definitely does add up but I got a pregnancy out of it so all is well that ends well.

Personally I think you are better off with WB to WB. You don't gain anything by adding the Paint or QH unless you are after color. It's hard enough to sell good WB foals these days, and you are likely to NOT advance the quality of the foal by using a stock horse type when there are so many nice WB stallions out there.

I'm not even sure why you would want to. What would the Paint do to improve your mare?

PS I read about your bad experience with your vet. Many of us have gone through what you have or worse! I spend $12K on stud fees & vet fees the first year I started breeding and got ZERO pregnancies!!
    But the LAST reason to pick a stallion is simply because he's nearby. Instead, you need to get a better vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Personally I think you are better off with WB to WB. You don't gain anything by adding the Paint or QH unless you are after color. It's hard enough to sell good WB foals these days, and you are likely to NOT advance the quality of the foal by using a stock horse type when there are so many nice WB stallions out there.

I'm not even sure why you would want to. What would the Paint do to improve your mare?

PS I read about your bad experience with your vet. Many of us have gone through what you have or worse! I spend $12K on stud fees & vet fees the first year I started breeding and got ZERO pregnancies!!
    But the LAST reason to pick a stallion is simply because he's nearby. Instead, you need to get a better vet.
    I appreciate the time you took to reply, but PLEASE read the thread in it's entirety, including my post just a few up that says I've decided to pursue other options. Thanks!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

OP, I know you've decided to pursue other options but one thing to file away for the future -- Indian Artifacts has a reputation among QH people for difficult babies. The "QH mind" is not something I'd necessarily expect to get when breeding to one of his sons. Not that they are bad, just known to be more TB-ish "ask" instead of "tell" rides.