The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Just flashed by on my FB that Archie leaves the hospital tomorrow AM. Turns out he "only" had a separated pelvis. Unlike the last photo of him in the hospital he wasn't talking on his phone in this one.
    Lord broken pelvis, separated pelvis--it all sound heinously painful in my book. oof.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Thank goodness! It still seems crazy that he could do that without actually coming off the horse, but it's better news for his recovery, anyway.
    Actually, it's not too crazy--a horse's gait at the walk mimics nearly perfectly the pelvic movement we have when we walk (hence why hippotherapy is so popular for disabled people). The movement at the walk in turn moves the pelvic bones, and if the horse slipped, it's likely it pulled his human's pelvis with it, and et viola--outtawhackpelvis.

Yeouch! Definitely sending jingles for quick healing for all!

Jingles & AO for rest & recovery in a timely fashion ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    how the heck do these professionals get back in the Ring so fast after injuring themselves badly
    That's Holly for ya, tough as nails.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Im always suprised how fast people are back in the saddle. Lordy, if I "split my pelvis" I sure the heck wouldnt be back on my horses anytime soon! Best wishes for speedy recoveries!

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    Lord broken pelvis, separated pelvis--it all sound heinously painful in my book. oof.
    Nearly two weeks ago, I fell off when the horse I was on spooked and spun. The spook caught me off guard, and I was completely embarrassed that I got spun off at the trot. I fractured my pelvis, and am supposed to be out for 3 months. It's no walk in the park, actually it's very little walking at all. Ow!

These are all serious injuries - but for those wondering how they get up & go so quickly, you should check out the PBR ( http://www.pbr.com/en/riders/injury-reports.aspx ). Those men are beyond tough.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

1 members found this post helpful.

The bull riders are flat out crazy. At least most horses don't come back and try to kill you once you're on the ground.

I attended a PBR event in person once years ago. I think there were about 45 guys in the first round, and only about 5 of them stayed on and qualified for the second round. So 40 of those guys went home without a check for risking their necks that night.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hey all, we've spoken with Archie and he's doing very well...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ie-cox-injured

That had to hurt.

What an odd injury. So glad he's up and mending, and what a great horse to be such a good sport through the ordeal!

Quote Originally Posted by AndNirina View Post
    Nearly two weeks ago, I fell off when the horse I was on spooked and spun. The spook caught me off guard, and I was completely embarrassed that I got spun off at the trot. I fractured my pelvis, and am supposed to be out for 3 months. It's no walk in the park, actually it's very little walking at all. Ow!
    One of the worst falls I ever had was at the walk. For all my junior hunter's good qualities, he could be a twat. He saw two horses lying on their sides in a pasture as I was letting him walk out on a loose rein, and the darn animal snorted loudly and lept sideways and spun me off. I didn't have a chance to hold onto him since I had him on the buckle and had no control over his front end. Hit the ground back first. Thankfully nothing broken, but I was bruised all over from rocks/lumpy ground I hit, and I had terrible whiplash that had me at the chiropractor's office every other day for weeks.