The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jingles for trainers injured at Thermal

I just got the iJump blast that Archie Cox was injured at Thermal. The press release said fracture hip/separated pelvis. Ouch! Last week's iJump email blast brought news of John French injuring his ankle. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to both of them. That's two bright spots out of the hunter rings at Thermal.

Between those guys and the injuries at WEF so far, it's already been a rough year. Somebody needs to turn down the dial on the gravity!

Hope everyone has a quick and smooth recovery.

Best wishes to all for a speedy recovery. Truly, all are a loss, even for a short time, for our sport.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

jeebus! Maybe there is something in the water...

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Must have been on one of Archie's rounds, as he showed yesterday. John French didn't show yesterday

Yikes. GET WELL SOON EVERYBODY.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I just heard from an impeccable source that Archie was walking a horse back to the barn and the horse slipped. Archie threw his weight beck to get the horse's head up -- the horse never did go down. But just by that motion, while still on the horse, Archie broke his hip and pelvis.

He was in such pain that he could not get off the horse. He had to be given morphine just to get him off and the ambulance pulled up right next to the horse so he could be loaded in easily.

He was air lifted to LA so he could have the best surgeons work on him (his father arranged that)
    Last edited by Lord Helpus; Feb. 8, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

OUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I just heard from an impeccable source that Archie was walking a horse back to the barn and the horse slipped. Archie threw his weight beck to get the horse's head up -- the horse never did you down. But just by that motion, while still on the horse, Archie broke his hip and pelvis.

He was in such pain that he could not get off the horse. He had to be given morphine just to get him off and the ambulance pulled up right next to the horse so he could be loaded in easily.

He was air lifted to LA so he could have the best surgeons work on him (his father arranged that)

Cross posting from the eventing forum. Very sad news!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...a-horse-trials
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I just heard from an impeccable source that Archie was walking a horse back to the barn and the horse slipped. Archie threw his weight beck to get the horse's head up -- the horse never did go down. But just by that motion, while still on the horse, Archie broke his hip and pelvis.

Wow that's crazy that he could break his hip and pelvis from a horse slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by SlamDunk View Post
    And I thought women have bad bones :-(

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    And I thought women have bad bones :-(
    it doesnt necessarily mean he had bad bones. it means he twisted or turned the wrong way and put the right force on the bones to make them break. i think i have strong bones and i shattered my leg by slipping on ice. i twisted it the right way to allow hte bones to shatter.

Quote Originally Posted by SlamDunk View Post
    Yeah, very shocking! Poor him!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

That's exactly what I heard too, Lord Helpus. That just sounds so beyond painful. Archie's a great guy, jingles for a speedy recovery.

And Holly Shepherd broke her ankle pretty bad a few weeks ago. Freak accident at her barn apparently. But she's showing at gulfport now with it all wrapped up. Even won a class on her grand prix horse. Hope everyone has a speedy recovery! Not a good 2013 so far!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySeeMonkeyDo View Post
    And Holly Shepherd broke her ankle pretty bad a few weeks ago. Freak accident at her barn apparently. But she's showing at gulfport now with it all wrapped up. Even won a class on her grand prix horse. Hope everyone has a speedy recovery! Not a good 2013 so far!
    how the heck do these professionals get back in the Ring so fast after injuring themselves badly

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    how the heck do these professionals get back in the Ring so fast after injuring themselves badly
    Sometimes they have to.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Just flashed by on my FB that Archie leaves the hospital tomorrow AM. Turns out he "only" had a separated pelvis. Unlike the last photo of him in the hospital he wasn't talking on his phone in this one.
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    This is terrible, hoping for a quick recovery for all!

But actually....the water isn't filtered (Thermal), so if horse has sensitive skin, do need to be careful. No hosing down without shampoo. And the grounds are on an old Native American burial ground, so the ring crew/office staff does burn sage and have certain rituals so that it is known that they "come in peace".

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Just flashed by on my FB that Archie leaves the hospital tomorrow AM. Turns out he "only" had a separated pelvis.
    Thank goodness! It still seems crazy that he could do that without actually coming off the horse, but it's better news for his recovery, anyway.