The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default the double & a flash

I saw an ad that showed a horse working in a double bridle with a flash. It was an advanced horse & a BNT was marketing the horse - I couldn't tell if she was the rider. I was taught that this is a big No No. Is it as " forbidden" as I was taught? Personally, I prefer to not school in anything that I can't show in - tack wise. I was just wondering the consensus on this.

In dressage there is no big 'no no', it is either legal or not.

As per the rules, you cannot ride in a competition with a double bridle and a flash noseband.

What one do at home...

Do you have the picture? Is the horse being marketed as a dressage horse?
    You sure it was a flash noseband and a double bridle?

That does seem very odd. I've never seen anyone ride with a flash and double bridle.

I would think that it would be horrible - and how could the flash work for the snaffle if the weymouth is lower - it would be ineffective on the snaffle - correct me if I am wrong

1 members found this post helpful.

Dressage Daily - for sale 100k+ Horse's name is Strauss. It's the schooling video. And now I'm not so certain it's a double. There are 2 sets of reins & there is a flash, but I can't see what the top rein is attached to. Maybe it's 1 bit with 2 sets of reins??? Note - I'm not affiliated with this horse or person & no, I'm not shopping in this category lol. It is fun to window shop though.

Edited as I saw the video#add we are talking about. It really looks like a double and a flash. Why? I don't know.

I doubt it is the BNT riding the horse that way.

There is a few other videos that shows the horse in a more conventional way and he seems to be a really nice well trained and quiet horse.
    Last edited by alibi_18; Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM.

Heck, I saw that woman from SoCal that does "dancing horses" exhibitions riding one of her Friesians in a double, flash, draw reins AND a standing martingale - all at the same time. She's the one with the "rare as the mythical unicorn" chestnut "purebred" Friesian. (Rare as something that doesn't exist! Now THAT'S rare!) The announcer said something like,
    "imported from Europe." More like "exported in the dark of night before the Friesian registry saw it and pulled it's sire/dam's papers."

Off Topic, but Sandy M, Purebred friesians can be chestnut. The registry doesn't want them in the registry/gene pool, but it does happen.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!