The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    We got it into the turn over the midpoint banister, and...we were STUCK. I ended up supporting the weight of the entire mattress (yes, one of those nice, heavy, thick gel-topped ones) while my DSO tried various strategies from above to wiggle it around.
    I'm picturing that episode from "Friends" where Ross is ordering everyone while they're trying to shove a couch up the stairs. Then tries to return it after they had sawed it in half.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    I'm picturing that episode from "Friends" where Ross is ordering everyone while they're trying to shove a couch up the stairs. Then tries to return it after they had sawed it in half.
    I haven't seen that one, but being a fan of Friends, I can only imagine!
    I guess I should add that this was around midnight...so here we are, tired, wanting to go to bed....with a mattress filling every inch of our stairwell. I had run through my very extensive repertoire of cussin' and was inventing words. I actually started to worry when my DSO began to think that we were NOT going to be able to get it in...it WAS going, dammit!
    When we finally got it upstairs, and stopped for a breather, I was looking at the label on the plastic outerwrap. I said to him "This mattress isn't what the label says" (the store we got it is a warehouse type place - you point at what you want, and you buy it. No trying it out or anything). Turns out that what we thought was $600 mattress for $350 was a $2400 mattress for that price. It isthe most comfortable thing I have ever slept in in my life....it just had a bit of a dark mark on one edge, so it was a return.
    And more about old houses...I was cleaning out some ofthe canning from the former owner, and found a WWII newspaper tucked in between the joists - recent in my books, but a cool find . We are going to get adventurous when we can afford it and take up all the linoleum in the kitchen to see what is underneath...I know from looking inthe cupboards it is one ofthose floral lino type things - floorcloth? - but am hopng for hardwood under that. Not in the budget right now, but am picturing my kitchen with a hardwood floor .
    D>
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

The lake cottage my ex and I bought hadn't been used in almost 40 years. The remaining family was on the opposite coast, the electric service box to the cottage non-functioning and they wouldn't pay to fix it, and the price just kept dropping and dropping. So we were able to pick up the place for a song.

The former owner was a pack rat, and not a stick or paper was thrown out that might be used to light a fire. There were flattened 1970's cereal and assorted food boxes crammed in the crawl space under the floor. I still have some of the tins they left behind in the kitchen, and a pretty hair receiver.

Then when we pulled up the old linoleum (and probably asbestos ) floor, underneath were a half dozen tin advertising signs - all for some dairy products. I had space in an antiques store at the time, and just hauled them over there - picking up $25-$60 a piece! And I also took down Bambi from over the fireplace and sold him in the shop. Was lucky his ears stayed on - he was pretty brittle.

But the absolute neatest thing - there was an old wooden row boat stuffed in the barely-hanging-together boathouse. We took it out, it started to sink, and the fiberglas patches weren't the greatest - but once the wood was swollen wasn't bad. Upon doing further research, we realized it was one of the turn of the century livery boats, used by ladies and gentlemen to be rowed about, and enjoy a Sunday afternoon on the lake. And it turned out to be the last one known remaining. So we had a local boat conservationist rehab the boat. Was really lovely.

Alas, ex and I separated shortly afterwards, so the cottage and the boat had to go. But the local museum bought the boat for the cost of the rehab, and it was prominent in a display the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Turns out that what we thought was $600 mattress for $350 was a $2400 mattress for that price. It isthe most comfortable thing I have ever slept in in my life....
    Nice!

I'm in a circa-1850 house myself... shortly after moving here, I discovered www.oldhouseweb.com/forums
    You other old house people might enjoy checking that out!

I'm in a circa-1850 house myself... shortly after moving here, I discovered www.oldhouseweb.com/forums
    You other old house people might enjoy checking that out!