The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I take the ignored bit back. It should not be said in the first place.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    they hyperbole should be ignored. The hammers comment, really? And I know it was not you who said it.
    But it's true. A hammer in the right hands is a tool. A hammer in the wrong hands is a weapon. Same as guns.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I would argue that "equalization" is a byproduct, and that killing is the main purpose of guns.
    Okay ... let's discuss. I have a gun. There are several areas to explore. A gun as tool: Euthanizing a horse is not exclusive to guns. Chemical, surgical, electro shock, captive bolt, etc all do the same as a gun. Is this killing or a treatment that ends suffering?

Putting deer meat on the table can be done with traps, cliffs, spears, arrows, rocks or a gun. Is this killing or harvesting food?

As this is a limited conversation... let's define killing as ending a human life...

I have a gun. I bought it for home defense. I don't intend to kill anybody so its main purpose is not killing. let me illustrate...

A man (most violent criminals are men) forces his way into my house, as he moves toward me... I tell him to stop. He sees the gun and leaves my house. I haven't killed him but in his mind, I am equal or more to his strength and position.

Another scenario... The same violent man continues to move toward me after I say stop! He has made a decision that he can overpower me and my gun. I shoot and hit him. Unlike movies, it's likely he is still alive but injured. He lays down on the floor. I haven't killed him, but I have overpowered him. I have stopped his attack.

In both instances, the gun has equalized little old me against a violent man or men.

Now ... in any instance after the man/men has stopped his/their attack... either retreating or laying on the floor... I then shoot him/them ... That's killing and illegal use of a gun.

So that's my point. the gun equalizes force between people. Killing is a potential consequence of gun use. Not all human shootings result in killing. Don't believe what you see in the theater or on TV.

8 members found this post helpful.

My impression of the intent of the OP in starting this thread was not to argue about it, but just to reassure her(him?)self that they were not alone in not owning a gun. I think there were many of us who agreed, kind of wanting to have our own little thread of non gun owners get together...then one by one, the pro gun folks crashed the party. I don't get it at all. Why does it always have to be about the argument, whether we want to argue or not? Once again reinforces my dislike of the OT "day" and why I rarely read or post on the OT forum.

I will say that I appreciated those of you posting similar thoughts (don't want/need/have gun)...we are not alone! I was reassured as sometimes the others are so loud that they seem more numerous than they really are.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't own one. I have no interest in owning one, ever. I have lived in the middle of major cities and not owned one. I have lived in the country and not owned one. Currently I live in the suburbs and do not own one.

I see zero need for it and refuse to believe in the propaganda about my ~personal safety~ being affected by not owning one.

IMO the United States would be infinitely better off if just about everyone lost their guns.

My family does not own guns, either, outside of my late grandfather, who hunted.

In short, I do judge those who own guns and I am not afraid to say so.

6 members found this post helpful.

I don't own one, don't want one and do not feel the need for it at all.
    Luckily, I live in Canada where we are not all paranoid about intruders breaking into our homes....
    and where you can't get one at the local Walmart or such... thank God!

3 members found this post helpful.

I currently don't own anything but a BB gun, BUT that is because I would like to take Hunters Ed. and spend lots of quality time at the gun range before I purchase my own gun.

I'm afraid of guns - paranoid when others are handling guns around me because I know their strength. Therefore I feel like I truly would only use it in a life or death situation.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    No ... Guns are not only to kill. Killing is only a byproduct. Guns equalize people regardless of strength and size. Without guns, we'd still be knights and peasants. Handle a broad sword lately?
    You're assuming that would be a bad thing?
    I'd much rather the strongest, smartest, and fastest survive... Just like the rest of the living creatures on this planet. Perhaps the huge influx of stupid, helpless people in this country correlates with our loff of firearms...
    Won't know til that hypothesis is tested.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Without guns, we'd still be knights and peasants. Handle a broad sword lately?
    You know the Magna Carta was signed in 1215, right? Maybe they got some inspiration from the Cleisthenes and Pericles?

Also I'm willing to go out on a limb and suggest the Declaration would have been signed regardless of the available weaponry, but I'm kind of silly that way.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    My impression of the intent of the OP in starting this thread was not to argue about it, but just to reassure her(him?)self that they were not alone in not owning a gun. I think there were many of us who agreed, kind of wanting to have our own little thread of non gun owners get together...then one by one, the pro gun folks crashed the party. I don't get it at all. Why does it always have to be about the argument, whether we want to argue or not? Once again reinforces my dislike of the OT "day" and why I rarely read or post on the OT forum.

I will say that I appreciated those of you posting similar thoughts (don't want/need/have gun)...we are not alone! I was reassured as sometimes the others are so loud that they seem more numerous than they really are.
    You're right, that was my original intent. I have my opinions on gun control but I generally choose to keep them to myself. It's a heated topic and I really have no dog in the fight other than personal feelings.

I'm a her, FYI
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Just thinking hypothetically here. Let's say aliens invade earth, or some horrible virus escapes a lab somewhere and really does turn people into "the walking dead", or civilization as we know it otherwise collapses...

For those of you who don't own guns, don't want to own guns, and don't think anyone else should have them, either - who would you run to for protection? I'm betting you would expect those of us WITH GUNS to save you.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have been reading this thread but have not posted on it because I am a gun owner and figured it wasn't my thread and people posting on it weren't interested in my opinion. However, I will offer two responses to your question of why gun owners have been posting here.

First, I suspect that it is because many (most?) of the non-gun owners have not been able to talk about not owning a gun without taking some subtle, or not so subtle, swipes at gun owners (and this is true of posts made before any gun owners posted so you can't claim it is just retaliatory).

Second, non-gun owners/anti-gun folks are doing a lot of posting on the gun owner threads, so why would you expect gun owners to stay away from "your" threads? Go count the number of anti-gun posts made on the "who has bough a gun in the past few months?" thread.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    Second, non-gun owners/anti-gun folks are doing a lot of posting on the gun owner threads, so why would you expect gun owners to stay away from "your" threads? Go count the number of anti-gun posts made on the "who has bough a gun in the past few months?" thread.
    Wasn't me posting there. And please don't complain about it when you are doing the exact same thing.

Wasn't me posting there. And please don't complain about it when you are doing the exact same thing.
    I wasn't complaining about anything. I was simply offering a reply to a question someone asked. I have posted nothing else in this thread.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was the one who posted about people with guns coming here

I have not posted on the other thread.

oops, sorry wrong poster but the statements still hold.

Many threads go off original topic... that's what makes reading entire threads interesting & fun.

As for gun owners posting... hyperbole & ignorance is to be countered with fact. Of course , ignorance can be a choice.

I don't have one. I might have to break down and get one for work though. Dunno, not thrilled about it. With rights come responsibilities.

As for gun owners posting... hyperbole & ignorance is to be countered with fact. Of course , ignorance can be a choice.
    You are certainly entertaining me. No argument there.

Well, Mr Stolen has a gun and maintains his weapons certification. He actually pulled it out once loaded and slept with it nearby when we received a reverse 911 call about an escaped fugitive. Personally, I checked all doors and windows at 1:00 am that night and felt better, the gun, not so much. The gun is kept in a place only he knows of, and that is fine with me. I certainly have no interest in learning to use it or any other gun. He does practice and is likely very good.

sometimes the others are so loud that they seem more numerous than they really are.
    Exactly. While I live in an area where the anti-gun rhetoric is loud and obnoxious, here on COTH it's the pro-gun people who are very loud and pushy. There are a handful of people who come across obnoxious about guns being bad, but COTH forum culture is heavily pro-gun and that's the reason it's annoying the that loud, hyper group came boiling onto this thread to whine that they were being misunderstood and abused. I never understand why people who claim to be rough and tough and Real Country Strong scream like little boys the second anyone disagrees with them.