The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I have ninja skillz... who needs guns?

Frankly every gun toter I've known also has a large slice of "dork" in their personality pie. It's rather unattractive.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I am so with you on this. Yes, guns are weapons. I do not understand the argument that they are tools. They ARE tools, but with only one purpose: to kill.
    No ... Guns are not only to kill. Killing is only a byproduct. Guns equalize people regardless of strength and size. Without guns, we'd still be knights and peasants. Handle a broad sword lately?
    Last edited by hosspuller; Feb. 8, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

No gun... except for a minute.

So my dad dies while I'm in college and I decide to bring a small rug of his back to my dorm room. I unroll the sucker there for the first time and find one of his rifles. Not cool as per college rules!

That did not stop me, however, from smuggling in an illegal cat. The following year, I got a job as an RA and the contraband cat was known to all in my house.

Such disrespect for the rules! Good thing my determination to buck the system extended to cats rather than guns.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Did you have a Concealed Kitteh permit?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the semantics of weapon is misunderstood a bit on here.
    A firearm was indeed invented to kill with. And as a weapon.

However it's also used often by many as a tool as opposed to as a weapon.
    If you use it in self defense or to commit a crime or for intimidation, it's a weapon.
    If you use it for euthanizing an injured animal, it's a tool. Same way an injection to euthanize something is a tool. Someone can also use a syringe full of something deadly as a weapon too. Just like a knife can be used as a weapon or tool.

Many also feel to use it for pest control is also as a tool, as opposed to using traps or poison. Or for hunting for food...the hunter isn't trying to protect him/herself against an elk and also isn't out to "murder" elk.

It definitely is a weapon...but can be used solely as a tool. And for those who keep them for possible euthanizing reasons it's a pretty important tool. It's completely understandable to not be an enthusiast of them, or uncomfortable around them or just plain really dislike firearms. That's very common.

But some people are very used to and experienced with firearms and have them for use as tools and/or sport or hobby. (competing, target, etc) And since they have the experience and the education with them feel that having a firearm on premises is an invaluable tool to own if a catastrophic injury does indeed happen. If a person doesn't have to wait 10-20 minutes for a vet to come euthanize and can save that animal 10-20 minutes of intense suffering, then they have the tool to perform that last kindness faster. It doesn't make them ignorant, dorky, etc. They are also the ones many people call when this does happen, as is mentioned on threads like these. It's fine to not own one, but to call owners insulting names but then rely on them for a deer hit by a car or livestock with a broken leg is a bit rude.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Did you have a Concealed Kitteh permit?
    No. Instead, I had

1) Sneakiness. CatBoy was sometimes turned out in the hall at 3 am. That worked until I was caught.

Then, I had

2) A good relationship with the RA on my hall.

But really, I had

3) A great cat who was his own best publicist.

If guns could make friends for themselves the way this cat did, we'd be fine.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post

Frankly every gun toter I've known also has a large slice of "dork" in their personality pie. It's rather unattractive.
    How many gun owners you "REALLY" know? You are either lying, dreaming, or having too narrow a friend base, and if all the gun owners you know are dorks, I feel rather sorry for you, because just all the gun owners I know, are very down to earth, polite, and kind people. NO, they are definitely a different breed from the corporate world I interact with everyday, but there is something about them that are quite refreshing, and they aren't those that love to wave guns around showing off, like NON-gun owners who happen to get a hold of guns would do.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    No ... Guns are not only to kill. Killing is only a byproduct. Guns equalize people regardless of strength and size. Without guns, we'd still be knights and peasants. Handle a broad sword lately?
    Killing living creatures was the primary reason for inventing guns. There is no other reason for guns to be around. That is like saying spears, arrows and swords had another, original, intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I think the semantics of weapon is misunderstood a bit on here.
    A firearm was indeed invented to kill with. And as a weapon.

However it's also used often by many as a tool as opposed to as a weapon.
    If you use it in self defense or to commit a crime or for intimidation, it's a weapon.
    If you use it for euthanizing an injured animal, it's a tool. Same way an injection to euthanize something is a tool. Someone can also use a syringe full of something deadly as a weapon too. Just like a knife can be used as a weapon or tool.

Many also feel to use it for pest control is also as a tool, as opposed to using traps or poison. Or for hunting for food...the hunter isn't trying to protect him/herself against an elk and also isn't out to "murder" elk.

It definitely is a weapon...but can be used solely as a tool. And for those who keep them for possible euthanizing reasons it's a pretty important tool. It's completely understandable to not be an enthusiast of them, or uncomfortable around them or just plain really dislike firearms. That's very common.
    You are trying to make something it isn't. All the uses of the gun that you describe have one result - killing something. A hammer can drive a nail, help knock a block into place and split a skull. It's original, intended purpose was to create things, not destroy things. The gun's original, intended purpose is to destroy life.

I have no problem with people owning guns - I just do not like it when people try to make guns something they aren't.

8 members found this post helpful.

Most of folks I know own guns are just folks. Some hunt, some target shoot,
    some to protect themselves and/or animals. My CHL class average median
    age was about 45--no bubbas. One was elderly and in a wheel chair.

Our closet range is an outdoor one and we usually go during the week. It's BMW time, chinos, button down shirts on the guys who look like attorneys or executives. Weekend shooters are a wider variety...young, old, families, more women.

Dorky is rather a subjective term. What one person considers dorky, another considers normal and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post

Silly comment. I bet you would be surprised how many people you know do own a gun, they just don't talk about it. How many folks have a large slice of smugness and intolerance for others of different views? that is unattractive too.

4 members found this post helpful.

You are trying to make something it isn't. All the uses of the gun that you describe have one result - killing something. A hammer can drive a nail, help knock a block into place and split a skull. It's original, intended purpose was to create things, not destroy things. The gun's original, intended purpose is to destroy life.

I have no problem with people owning guns - I just do not like it when people try to make guns something they aren't.
    I thought I had stated clearly that firearms are definitely weapons and definitely made for killing things.

My point was sometimes killing isn't a crime, isn't violent, isn't angry, etc.
    And when used for a mercy killing, it's then more of a tool than a weapon since it's not being used to attack, defend, etc.
    So yes, it's made for killing things. I never stated otherwise.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

when I was growin' up,all of us knew where Dad's guns were-in the closet! I don't have any memory of being beaten(but by the way, I got a belt on my ass, when circumstances warrent'nt it) but we(all 6 kids) did'nt touch the guns until we all had been shown how to use them'maybe the old 1's knew what they were doin'? By the wayt I,m 60

well,since you see us as dorks ,I guess, if you're having problems, me and mine'should walk away-hope that works for you

I would argue that "equalization" is a byproduct, and that killing is the main purpose of guns.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

3 members found this post helpful.

Do those of you, particularly those of you opposed to anyone owning guns, own hammers?

Because according to the FBI statistics, more people are killed with hammers and other blunt objects than rifles.

So let's ban hammers?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

One of the things that disturbs me most about threads like this is the hyperbole that comes along with it.

I don't think anyone wants all guns banned or that nobody but LE should have them. Yet the "ban hammers", or "ban cars", or "guns don't kill, people kill" distortion continues. When the people who want to own and use guns start this, how can a worthwhile conversation happen?

I don't want to own a gun, which is what the title of this thread is, and honestly, the people who came to this thread to defend their gun ownership don't do a thing to make me feel like this should be a you keep your guns and I won't mind issue. It's starting to feel like hysteria or paranoia to me from the gun owners who don't even have the self control to stay on their own "who bought a gun since xxx" thread.

6 members found this post helpful.

And what of the anti-gun people who can't stay away from the who bought a gun thread? It's a two way street.

I don't have a problem with people who don't want to have a gun. There are good reasons for people who don't want them. Bank of Dad has great wisdom, self knowledge and insight to know he's probably not a good candidate. Just plain not liking them is fine.

But when people outright oppose the 2nd Amendment, then yeah, I have a problem, because they are stepping on my toes.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Threedog ... on the plane of "stay on their own" if anti gun folks would just "stay on their own" I would do the same. It is more restrictions on me, a legal & responsible gun owner from anti gun folks that boil my kettle.

Hyperbole and ignorance is to be countered...

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    And what of the anti-gun people who can't stay away from the who bought a gun thread? It's a two way street.
    they are as wrong as you are MGP. I never said it was ok for them and not for you.

this is the kind of uptight response that breaks down communication. This is the kind of response that takes away from a conversation.

Threedog ... on the plane of "stay on their own" if anti gun folks would just "stay on their own" I would do the same. It is more restrictions on me, a legal & responsible gun owner from anti gun folks that boil my kettle.

Hyperbole and ignorance is to be countered...
    they hyperbole should be ignored. The hammers comment, really? And I know it was not you who said it.