The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'd like to get one but would have so much to do in terms of training (both shooting and safety) that I'll probably never get around to it. Primary reasons would be animal-related (either an animal that needs to be put down, or animals that are menacing my farm). I might feel more comfortable assessing a human-related issue and opting for gunpower after some kind of training, but as it is now I can't imagine ever deciding I was competent enough to try to improve a situation with a gun.

And though I think responsible law-abiding people should be able to have guns, I also don't think that as a whole they are anywhere near as competent, clever, skillful, accurate, calm and self-possessed as they think they are. I would imagine the scenarios might differ from the way they are in their imaginations. But hey, have at it. Don't point it at me though!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Guns are weapons.
    I am so tired of this blanket label. A gun is a tool - same as a knife, same as a hammer, same as an axe, etc. They are "weapons" only when used as such.

Even the police use it - "Do you have a weapon?"

Me: "Uh, do you mean a FIREARM? Or do you mean a knife, a tire iron, a ball point pen, a baseball bat, an umbrella, a fireplace poker, a brass candlestick?"

5 members found this post helpful.

Well gee, Down Yonder, inquiring minds want to know..have you been arrested lately? An armed stand off maybe?

Point taken on the definition of "weapon" though. Police around here once charged someone with "assault with a weapon (frozen jackfish)" Someone got a frozen fish out of their freezer and bashed a party guest in the head with it....
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, it was for her guest appearance on Cops.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Well gee, Down Yonder, inquiring minds want to know..have you been arrested lately? An armed stand off maybe? ....
    Actually, a traffic stop for a broken taillight. Seems he saw the NRA sticker on the car...

Point taken on the definition of "weapon" though. Police around here once charged someone with "assault with a weapon (frozen jackfish)" Someone got a frozen fish out of their freezer and bashed a party guest in the head with it.
    I was thinking I should probably add "cast iron frying pan" to my list. Grandma once clobbered an intruder with one and put him down for the count - he was still groaning on the floor when the sheriff arrived.

And now I will also add "frozen fish" to my list of possible weapons.

I own a gun, but it's not a firearm.

My gun is a Pardini K10 air pistol. The muzzle velocity is too low to qualify it as a 'firearm' and it was designed with only one purpose in mind: to be a precision air pistol.

10m air pistol is an ISSF and Olympic sport. If you're wondering what it looks like, here's the London 2012 women's final.

As an offensive or defensive weapon, a competition air pistol is most useful when deployed as a bludgeon. The pellets won't hurt anyone and it's slow to reload and aim.

I prefer not to own a 'real' gun but I do love training and competing in air pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I own a gun, but it's not a firearm.

My gun is a Pardini K10 air pistol. The muzzle velocity is too low to qualify it as a 'firearm' and it was designed with only one purpose in mind: to be a precision air pistol.

10m air pistol is an ISSF and Olympic sport. If you're wondering what it looks like, here's the London 2012 women's final.

As an offensive or defensive weapon, a competition air pistol is most useful when deployed as a bludgeon. The pellets won't hurt anyone and it's slow to reload and aim.

I prefer not to own a 'real' gun but I do love training and competing in air pistol.

Thank you for posting that; that is so cool. My 11 yr old son is in Pony Club and I am trying to generate some local interest for the uniquely Pony Club sport of Tetrathlon, which is riding, running, swimming and 10 metre air pistol. I have read the requirements but did not know what it looked like. Now I know!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Don't own a gun, don't want a gun, am comfortable with other (sane) people having guns as long as they don't feel the need to tell me about it/pressure me about it/whatever.

Went on a weekend horsey camping trip with my trainer and a couple other horsey friends when I was 16. One of the boarder's husbands brought 3 weapons without asking (rifle, shotgun, Glock) anyone. As soon as he heard I'd never shot anything, he pressured me all weekend to let him teach me and a few other people who came along. I left a day early and that boarder was asked to leave the barn for a myriad of reasons, but still.

Own your gun, love your gun, use your gun recreationally, but for the love of god don't tell pester me about your gun.

2 members found this post helpful.

Don't own a gun. I've actually never even held one.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Thank you for posting that; that is so cool. My 11 yr old son is in Pony Club and I am trying to generate some local interest for the uniquely Pony Club sport of Tetrathlon, which is riding, running, swimming and 10 metre air pistol. I have read the requirements but did not know what it looked like. Now I know!
    Your son sounds like a good candidate for pentathlon. It's the four sports of tet plus epee fencing -- and I can guarantee your son would love fencing.

Don't own one. Never will. Don't like them and am scared of them! Even if everybody behaves appropriately, accidents do happen and with guns they can easily be tragic. No thank you.

I wish guns would be outlawed altogether but then only the criminals and police would have them. Not sure how well that would work.

I can say I am 100% convinced that there is absolutely no need for high-capacity weapons in any non-military/non-police use!!!

I think it should be very difficult to get a gun. Thorough background checks, maybe an interview, training should be required.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Don't own one. Never will. Don't like them and am scared of them! Even if everybody behaves appropriately, accidents do happen and with guns they can easily be tragic. No thank you.

I wish guns would be outlawed altogether but then only the criminals and police would have them. Not sure how well that would work.

I can say I am 100% convinced that there is absolutely no need for high-capacity weapons in any non-military/non-police use!!!

I think it should be very difficult to get a gun. Thorough background checks, maybe an interview, training should be required.
    In other words you know absolutely nothing about firearms but you are here to tell us what we need and to lecture us.

People like you is why we will never give an inch.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    In other words you know absolutely nothing about firearms but you are here to tell us what we need and to lecture us.

couldn't pick a fight over on the other thread so you come here to try?

14 members found this post helpful.

ako posted that reply on this thread because this thread is asking for replies from people who don't own a gun, and, following the lead of the OP, discussing their reasons for it.

So what are you doing on this thread, caballero?

You came here simply -- and in your case, really simply -- to bash those who don't share your views on guns.

'People like you', indeed.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    So what are you doing on this thread, caballero?

You came here simply -- and in your case, really simply -- to bash those who don't share your views on guns.
    Just reciprocating for the gun haters who went to crap on the pro-gun thread.

2 members found this post helpful.

ahhhh, caballero rises to the bait.

I do not have a gun and neither does DH. We do not need them, as we don't hunt and don't live in a place where violent crime is at all common. There had not been any violent crime in my town in 30 years, until a guy shot his wife and daughter with his own handgun a few years ago. It was a squabble over paying for college . That one wouldn't have happened if there had not been a gun in the house.

Horse is boarded. My neighbor has a gun. I guess if there was a massive state of emergency and some animal roaming around had to be euthanized and no one else could come, I'd ask him to do it, he would.

I don't own a gun, but I have fired a variety of them at a shooting range. I'm not opposed to guns for the uses of hunting, target shooting, or self-defense. I may get a handgun someday.

Just reciprocating for the gun haters who went to crap on the pro-gun thread.
    Free speech was still allowed last I checked, so go ahead, crap away. Maybe if you have enough clout you can put me on the NRA enemies list, that could actually be kinda fun! But alas, I just gave my opinion, nothing THAT exciting.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Don't have one. Don't want one. Have a perfectly good backbone and only limited non threatening paranoia.

15 members found this post helpful.