The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: Anyone not own a gun?

I definitely feel like a vast minority here.

I've never owned or shot a gun. I live in a safe neighborhood with no murderers or large predators. I've never felt the need to carry a weapon with me. I feel that even if I owned a gun in an emergency that it would do more harm than good.

I'm tired of people judging me because of how I feel. Guns are weapons. If you want to own one, fine. Just don't look down upon me because I choose not to.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

16 members found this post helpful.

I don't own a gun.

But I also live in suburbia and board the horses.

When we buy our own place with land and have the horses at home, I'll have a gun for dealing with vermin and just in case a horse suffers a catastrophic fracture and the vet is hours away. When we get to that point, I'll take all the appropriate classes and work with it enough to be able to feel comfortable with it for those purposes.

2 members found this post helpful.

Agree, Dani. I do have friends who have guns, and with one exception they do not try to encourage anyone to get them.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I do not have one and will never own one.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't own a gun, but my late husband did. When he died I gave the shotguns and rifles to my adult son and sold the Glock to my brother. I've never felt pressured or judged because I don't own a gun. I also don't really have an opinion one way or another, maybe because I was raised around them and they don't have any special allure. I also don't live out in the country by myself, or without a good vet close by. That would change things, I know. As it is, I live in a horsey community but it's definitely suburbia.

I am a woman who lives alone without a gun and sleeps like a baby at night.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

15 members found this post helpful.

My ex husband pointed a loaded over/under 12 gauge at my head. No guns in my house. I live about 2 miles from the closest little town and have only a couple of close neighbors. I too, sleep just fine.

I prefer my "loaded" Belgian Malinois at my side. At least he makes me feel safer where a gun locked in some safe doesn't.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm a woman living alone with only 2 cats for protection. I sleep just fine until said cats both try to cuddle at once.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

6 members found this post helpful.

I do not own a gun. I am uncomfortable around guns. When I am in my apartment, I protect myself by locking the door. Seems far easier to take a small preventative measure than to blow an intruder's head off and have that mess to clean up.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

3 members found this post helpful.

I have lived gunless in the country, surrounded by wild life, since 1997 and have never yet had the need to kill anything other than some pathetic mouse my barn cat has only half killed. Shovel works fine for them.

As for catastrophic injury of a horse, I am fairly sure I would do more harm than good with a gun. There are several vets about 20 min away.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't own a gun, never shot a gun. We have plenty of skilled neighbors in case a horse needs put down.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

It's much more common for non-owners to "judge" those who do own them. You're right, it's not fun either way to be judged for something like that.

Although many people keep them in certain areas/living conditions for reasons other than self protection. Like for quick, painless humane euthanasia. Which makes me sleep better at night.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't own one, never will, and I'm grateful to live in a city where the vast majority of people feel the same way.

I don't care if you don't own a gun as long as you don't care that I do.

9 members found this post helpful.

Me.

I have shot guns (hand guns, shot gun, and rifle), I do not have a problem with guns, but I choose not to own any. I do like to shoot cans with my BB gun

I come from a “gunless” family. A need for a gun has never come up – I do not feel the need to be prepared to take another human’s life.

I also live out in the woods, surrounded by wildlife. We had a mountain lion hanging out for about a week – people urged me to get a gun. I opted instead for just being cautious, and like they often do, the mountain lion moved on.

I don't own one. I feel no need for one. Just this past weekend, an adult friend had her loaded pistol in a "safe" place in her house. It wasn't safe enough. An adult male guest, found it, fired it and the bullet went through a closet, the wall behind the closet and into the room behind that wall, lodging in that room somewhere. She found the casing.

Perhaps if I lived far enough away from help, I'd consider it, but as it stands right now, help is maybe 5 or 10 minutes away so I'll just stick with that.

I don't own a gun and have no interest in doing so. I'm not opposed to them by any means, but I don't have an interest in becoming proficient in handling/using one. I hate the noise and feel of a gun - I have shot several and took riflery in college so I didn't come to this in an uninformed way.

Recently we had a horse in SEVERE distress from colic and I couldn't reach my vet for a very stressful 1/2 hour and then another 1/2 hour before he arrived. At the time, I was really wishing for a gun, but the reality is I know that neither my husband or I could have done it so it is what it is. I shoved all the banamine I had into the horse and the vet took care of him as quickly as possible.

I was single into my late 30s and lived alone in an area of the city that had its share of crime. I've always had a dog or dogs and never feared for my safety. Sure a bad guy can shoot the dog, but by then the dog has raised holy hell noise wise and in many cases drawn some blood - there are far easier targets.
    Last edited by Debbie; Feb. 7, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Edited to add: Long live the Second Amendment.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I don't own one. I have a bad temper when highly provoked and would be monentarily way too tempted to use that gun.

Also, I scare easily and would shoot, even in my house, before I knew who was walking around, like maybe one of my adult kids.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I don't own a gun and have no desire to do so. I live in a rural area, and sleep fine at night faithfully guarded by too many cats and a Golden Retriever. I had a catastrophic horse injury which was resolved by my vet within 45 minutes, and I know that I couldn't shoot a horse...or anything else.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com