The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Runners OUt There Suffer From ITB Pain?

I am still fairly new to running (been consistent for the last year and a half) and have been introduced to road races and I love them! The only problem is that I have nagging ITB pain. I have the foam roller, I have had the ITB stripped, I have been to physio and done all necessary exercises, and I have done (the hardest treatment to date!) REST I have been off from and formal running training since the late fall and have tried to slowly get back in to it over the last 2 months, doing short intervals, treadmill runs, other forms of cardio. I thought it was coming along well until I decided to try my first full 5k (about 3 mi) run the other day. The last mile I started to feel the familiar old knee pain! GRRRRRRR!!! It's so frustrating!
    Anyone have any miracle cures or advice?

I feel your pain! I was there, just getting serious about running, plunging into my training routines - only to get stopped with that insidious ITBS.

Unfortunately if it's flairing up, you should rest a few weeks for sure. Then, start a cross training program! After I did a year of Yoga, along with a Bootcamp type class, then P90X, I went back to running - gone was the ITBS!

Strengthening & getting flexible overall, apparently, was the key for me.

Another tip, Ice Baths (well for me, I just did ice cold water baths from the tap, not actualy ice in them!) after a particually hard or long run are a miracle - all those little aches that might turn into something else magically disappear! I discovered this after my ITBS struggle, so not sure, but I suspect it would help -

I couldn't bear plunging into an ice cold tub, so I would half fill room temperature, then sit in it (still an uncomfortable moment!) then turn the water on full cold the rest of the tub.

NOT fun, but so effective it was worth it, especially when I was training for any race.

It was so much more effective than using a cold pak or ice cube rubdown, when I start eventing again (hopefully soon!) I plan to invest in one of those standing water tubs (over knees/hocks). Wish I had a cold running stream nearby, that would be perfect!

Give the running a break until the ITB cools down, then start thee on a good overall cross training program - when you add running, only run until the ITB starts to hurt, then stop. Gradually you should be able to go longer & longer.

And don't forget your Ice Baths!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the advice! I started at a yoga studio, I am NOT flexible at all, which I think does not help the situation! I hope it works! And will give the ice bath a try too...Brrrrrr!!

What shoes are you running in, are you changing them out after 3-400 miles? And have you been fitted for the right type..ie, stability..neutral, etc

Oh, ice baths! I used to use them when I was doing gymnastics. Blast from the past!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Have you talked to your PT/Ortho about orthotics to see if they would help?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Are you sure it's ITB? My pain is the outside of the knee, true, but higher than where ITB pain would be. If the knee cap and surrounding bony structures was a clock face, with the 12 farthest away from you and the six in the center of your quad, mine is in between the seven and the eight and right up against those structures.

I was diagnosed with a "chronic" quad tear a few years ago. Sigh.

When I thought it was ITB, I was doing a lovely stretch that is like the hammie stretch, only cross your feet and lean towards whichever foot is in the back, IIRC.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default Are you running on uneven pavement or doing a lot of turns?

Years ago I had ITBS, in my case it was from running on a circular track which had a hard surface. Be careful to avoid too many turns, or running on the side of a road where one foot is always landing higher than the other due to the crown in the road. If your 5K was on a road like this, that might explain why it came back. treadmills can aggravate it too. Not sure why, maybe the motion is too repetitive or the deck is too soft or hard. I had only a mild case and mine went away when I changed running surfaces.

I read somewhere that someone takes up running, the cardiorespiratory system adapts fastest, then the musculoskeletal system, then finally the connective tissues. The connective tissues take longest to get fit because of the relatively poor blood supply. And it is the connective tissues which cause most running injuries.