The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer mat - doesn't come out...???

So the 'new to me' trailer has a non removable rear tack of which the walls don't go all the way to the floor, and the trailer floor mat in the rear is one big piece that goes into the rear tack. There is a middle support vertical support bar that the mat, since it's one piece, can't get past. Meaning this mat is non removable.

Should I cut it around the rear tack to make it removable? I'm thinking yes, as this is how my other trailer was and it had a removable rear tack and NO support bar.

And what do I cut 1/2" trailer mat WITH?

Thanks
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

You can cut it to be able to remove it for cleaning, inspection, etc. It's not easy to cut in-situ, but a sharp utility knife and many, many passes will do the job. Be patient! (when I cut the mat in my trailer to support a storage addition project, I did it outside of the trailer and used a circular saw with an old blade that I wouldn't miss and with the saw run along a straight edge)

If the mat is flush with the floor how will you ever get it cut? Can you remove, then modify the support bar that is keeping the mat from being moved (in the first place)? Then maybe you can alter the support piece so the mat can be removed in one piece when cleaning is needed.

At some point I'll have a welding person make this rear tack foldable, and that support bar will then be made removable, but at this time, nope.

I'm guessing I'll just cut the mat around the rear tack, make it two pieces. Just weird that it was made like that. Though I suppose if one pulled the mat forward into the horse compartment...but then it'd be a big bear getting it out a door....nah, I think I'm cuttin it, unless anyone else chimes in soon with "don't do it!"

Thanks
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Mat in my trailer is actually in three pieces...so I see nothing bad about you cutting yours to be able to maintain your trailer properly.

Until you actually make the rear tack removeable... Seal the cut edge to the floor. You don't want urine to get between the mat & floor. It'll corrode the floor and worse... STINK ..I used a black colored caulk.