The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Wiring Help - Restoring Old Trailer

I dropped off the trailer for further metal work. When I pulled the wiring plug it broke off in my truck which I hadn't noticed. I went today to pick up the trailer and the guy who did the welding put a new plug on for me. He said it happens all the time, the plastic ones never last, etc.

The problem - when I pulled out on the road and tapped the brakes they seized up. I have never had this happen before. Is this a simple fix, possibly he put the wrong wire in the wrong "hole"?

I got the best trailer wiring guy off of craigslist-----I posted exactly what I needed wired and I told the responders to my ad in our first conversation that if they did not know what they were doing to not even bother. worked for me.

How much did he charge you and what did he do? Prior to this plug breaking off everything worked fine. Brakes had no issues, brake lights, blinkers, even the top running lights.

The plug was a six prong plug and there seemed to be more wire than available slots.

How much did he charge you and what did he do? Prior to this plug breaking off everything worked fine. Brakes had no issues, brake lights, blinkers, even the top running lights.

The plug was a six prong plug and there seemed to be more wire than available slots.

There was a red and a yellow, plus the other five which I think were white, black, brown, blue and green. I wonder if the red and yellow were supposed to be spliced together or something.

I had my 6 horse trailer totally rewired. He charged me $100 + wire and lights. We totally discussed his fee prior to any work being done. Agreed upon amount. I have a call in to him now cause I just had new brakes put on the trailer and there is a broke wire, a broke light on the trailer and a blown fuse that makes it all work.

Weighaton, not sure what size trailer you have. I had my old 2H BP rewired (Brakes and lights) for $100 when I lived in IL.

Nashfad, I see you are in TN, do you have the name/number of who did yours? I've got a 2H GN that needs some re-wiring work.