The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help finding information about my horse's breeding - Hungarian Horse!

My horse is a Hungarian Warmblood with hotbrands on his neck which were done in Hungary when he was young, I believe it was the Hungarian government that branded all the horses. I have been in touch with their records office in Budapest and they confirm that the markings are of a Hungarian Horse and have kindly sent me a document with details of his breeding.

I wondered if it is possible to find out a bit about the horses listed on his paperwork, does anyone know anything about the following horses:

967 Solt Okulj - 147 (born 1973)
    438 Baldover Bobita (born 1978)
    592B Radihaza-2 (born 1965)
    2005 Csillag (born 1955)
    608 Baldover xx (born 1967)
    Citera (born 1972)
    5406 Okulj (born 1953)
    Adua (born 1954)
    1963 Borota-1 (born 1943)
    Szajko
    5323 Balmoral xx (born 1956)
    Canpanulla xx (born 1961)
    5878 Szeplak I-13 (born 1964)
    Szarcsa (born 1964)

I don't know the relevance of all the numbers I have just listed the horses as they are shown on the paperwork, they all have longer numbers with letters too just as my boy does which I believe is just for identification purposes within the government department.

I would love to know a little more about where my boy came from.

My horse is much loved, I have had him for 10 years and he came to me as a 14 year old, he is now 24 and still going strong, he is incredibly kind and intelligent, he has his quirks but there is not a bad bone in his body, he is an amazing horse who is capable of so much more than I have ever asked of him - I am a little biased! Everything I read about Hungarian Warmbloods fits him regarding their intelligence, the bond you get with one etc, I couldn't ask for a better horse.

I believe my boy came from the Lake Balaton region of Hungary and that is may have been a show jumping yard, but I don't know much more than that. I understand he may well have some thoroughbred and even Arab in him but not sure.

Any information gratefully received.

Thank you

You should have this moved to the Sporthorse breeding forum.. more ppl there would know
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Ok thanks

I happen to be in Hungary at the moment (I'm in Kaposvar, about an hour south of Lake Balaton). I'm here for 4 more months to do field research for my grad program and will be starting riding lessons through the barn at the university here next week. I know they do some breeding here at the university, so I will let you know if I hear anything of the horses in your guy's pedigree.

I'm beginning to think that Hungarian warmbloods are one of the sport horse world's best kept secrets. You don't here about them as much as their Dutch or German cousins, but I've been up to the barn to observe lessons/training several times already and I've only seen very attractive, willing and good natured animals so far.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTheRain View Post
    I'm beginning to think that Hungarian warmbloods are one of the sport horse world's best kept secrets. You don't here about them as much as their Dutch or German cousins, but I've been up to the barn to observe lessons/training several times already and I've only seen very attractive, willing and good natured animals so far.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTheRain View Post
    I happen to be in Hungary at the moment (I'm in Kaposvar, about an hour south of Lake Balaton). I'm here for 4 more months to do field research for my grad program and will be starting riding lessons through the barn at the university here next week. I know they do some breeding here at the university, so I will let you know if I hear anything of the horses in your guy's pedigree.

It would be fantastic if you were to come across anything to do with my lovely lad. I believe his brands were actually done in Veszprem near Lake Balaton.

If my boy is anything to go by Hungarian Warmbloods are the most wonderful horses, sane, sensible, kind and genuine with incredible athletic ability but very tough enduring horses. My horse has the most most amazing nature, he is very pretty too (but I would say that!).

If you do come across anything I would be extremely grateful! Enjoy your time in Hungary and enjoy the wonderful horses -I'm very jealous!

Not the best pictures but here he is:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...meandbecks.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ollismart2.jpg

I haven't heard anything about the horses in your lovely guy's pedigree, but I did want to let you know that your guy's attributes, both physical and mental are definitely the norm for Hungarian warmbloods.

The horse I've mostly been riding for my lessons here is a 4 1/2 year old stallion and despite his age, gender and short time under saddle (just under 1 year) he is one of the most generous and forgiving animals I've ever had the privilege of riding in addition to being very athletic. I've seen him free jump over a 1.5 meter oxer, skipping over it like it was nothing. He is a very a large horse and he's been unbelievably patient with me while I get reacquainted with riding a larger horse (my "horse" at home is a medium pony-sized Morgan).

The folks at the barn here say that even though Hungarian warmbloods may not be as consistent in physical type as some of the other European breeds that they are born with "good heads" and are as a whole, quite easy to work with from day one.