The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I worked there part time during school. Hated it. I worked in the meat department DO NOT buy the meat! The Tyson chicken and Honeysuckle turkey is okay. But DO NOT buy the steak or ground beef. It's not called "pink slime" because it's tasty. All the meat is shipped in after it has been sitting in a warehouse frozen for god knows how long. (No matter what anyone tells you, no actual meat cutting is done in the store anymore) Go to a local store where they cut and grind their own beef. The pork is low quality as well.

As for the prices, they have a lot of competition in my town so here you get decent sale prices, and we always price match competitors. That is one good thing about the store I work at.

Oh and if you throw a big enough fit at the service desk, you can get your money back on anything, had a guy come in and say the sandwiches the deli made were made incorrectly but didn't have the receipt from when he originally purchased them or the wrappers the sandwiches came in but he demanded and received about 10 sandwiches for free, even though there was no proof that he had purchased them in the first place. Things like this happen all the time in the store. If you throw a big enough fit about anything and you can walk out with a $25 gift card as well.

One reason Walmart has a lot of rural stores is that for a long time they were the only mass marketer that would invest there. That how Sam Walton got his start.

Y'all really seem to hate the place but the three that are closest to us generally have a good traffic count at any given time. If everybody hates the place where do the people I see come from? The world wonders.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.

Well the title of this thread self selects for those who aren't fans. I don't shop at WalMart, but I know tons of folks who swear by it especially those with small children on a tight budget. Obviously, as evidenced by the continued growth of the chain, it fills a (large) niche.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

2 members found this post helpful.

The thing that bugs me the most about Wal-Mart is that I think their parking spaces are (seem) narrower than any other store or parking lot anywhere on the planet.

I can't bash them though, they're customers of mine. I just find actually going INTO Wal-Mart to be anxiety inducing.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I don't find Walmart prices to be all that great these days, and I think the quality of some the products has taken a dive in recent years.

I do much better these days shopping online. I can usually find a better price and a better quality item at Amazon, and with the free shipping it saves on time and the price of gas.

My Walmart is clean, bright and has a pretty good selection of stuff. I find that the quality of the goods is overall good. They have brand name appliances, brand name groceries and even the Walmart brand on some items is good. Their produce is good and the meat department isn't bad either. They don't treat their employees any worse that the "mom and pop" stores y'all brag about. In fact, in most cases, I'm betting they treat them better. Sure all kinds of people shop there. So what? Poor people don't need groceries, clothing, etc.? Maybe they should set aside times exclusively for all you high falutin' people to shop so y'all won't be offended by the sight of someone who is less than fashionable or dirty from working outside all day or has small children who are less than perfectly behaved. All you snobs can shop at your Whole Foods or organic butcher. Me, I'll go to Walmart and spend the money I save on horse feed, hay, farrier, vet, etc/

4 members found this post helpful.

I'll shop there for those little things you can't find elsewhere - needed a chesp blowdryer for the barn today, and wasn't going to pay $35 at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Groceries? No way. Their produce department is disgusting - I worked in grocery for 5 years, and will gladly pay more at a local store like where I was then for that garbage at Wal-Mart. Dirty, old, with bugs flying around...no thanks.

I'm excited that Target is opening up here sometime this year or next - will give me a new place for those little things, and will absolutely give Wal-Mart a run for their money.

I love my Wal-Mart. I'd love it even more if it was a Super Wal-Mart.

My mom is a diehard Walmart-er. Me, not so much. I can get great weekly specials at my little neighborhood Giant and if I want to do a bigger grocery shop I'll go to SuperTarget.

They don't call it "Tarzhay" for nothing--it just feels a little nicer, more upscale, more cute things in ALL of the departments for when I want to browse something other than groceries.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I like the Super Walmart stores. The regular ones, not so much.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I hate my Walmart store. I probably hate it mostly because it is the only practical option for me. I live in a very rural area and this super store serves essentially three counties( two of which have even fewer shopping options). The nearest (best) alternative is over 40 miles away.

It's not the prices, but the fact that they keep moving things around. Each time they revamp the store, they say it's to make it better....not. It's impossible to find things for weeks. Coupled with their inability to keep product stocked on the shelves, the lack of pleasant associates to help with anything and the "iffy" produce and meat departments make my shopping experience here less than pleasant.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Why hate wal-mart? If you don't like a business, do NOT shop there. Wal-mart has cheaper prices than most stores. Plus the Sam's stores allow members to buy the same items that the restaurants buy.

I am not wild about Wal-mart, just because of the customers (too many of them!) and the parking lot and the workers who do not work, but stand there and complain to each other within earshot of the customers. But the prices are right for many items. I don't buy food there because our local grocery chain has very fresh, locally grown vegetables.

The walmart at home is very well run. Clean, help is friendly, never had a problem and shop there relatively frequently. The one here in fla is not quite as user friendly. But I can say the same thimg about the Ross store here im Fla. I think it has a lot more to do with the local management than the chain itself.

I loathe WalMart. How they treat employees, vendors, and the excessively long lines are enough for me to not go there. That and that I tend to not enjoy being around the typical customer that frequents the store near me. That being very loud women not much inclined to parent their herds of unruly, ill-mannered children. I prefer to shop at my local Target for most non-food items and the Giant Eagle for groceries. The only time I go into a WalMart now is when I am staying with my friend that lives a 1,000 miles away and going to WalMart is on her list of errands. I don't think she knows how much I hate the corporation, as I have never complained about it to her, so I may have just outed myself if she reads this!

I love, love, love Target!

I don't mind it. I hit it when getting ready for horse trips, or big dinners/holidays...I can't see the big deal. If you hate it, just don't go. I don't like Whataburger, but I don't rail against them. I just go to Backyard Burger.

I like ours (it's a Super Walmart) and do most of my grocery shopping there. All the grocery stores around here are chains, too, and I don't think they're much of an improvement. I have yet to find one anywhere where people seem to actually enjoy their jobs! I think that's just a retail thing.

The one I really hate is BJs-- there's just something about it that makes me claustrophobic and panicky. Home Depot has a similar setup/vibe and I don't like it at all either. Something about the higher ceiling/ shelves, maybe?

Plus Walmart makes me feel classy and pretty by comparison. I don't have giant tattoos and all my body parts are appropriately covered It's a huge ego boost.

When Wal-Mart came here three local stores went out, then Wal-Mart stopped carrying what those stores had carried. Ours is more expensive than the one twenty miles away which is more expensive than the one that is thrity-five miles away. No competition since they closed the other stores down.
    I also hate the way they treat customers so avoid it as much as possible for that reason too.

We have a "choice" Walmart or Kroger. Kroger not bad $$ but if I need shampo or soap its off to Kmart *shudder* which is when I would really like to poke a sharp stick in my eye, I could go to Kroger for food/Walmart for nonfood but 2 trips/2 lines/2 ends of area, I dont by things that quality means much. If I want a TV I go somewhere else.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I guess my Wal-Mart experience has been better than most when it comes to cleanliness, but that could be because I live literally down the road from the home office.

I don't love Wal-Mart. I hate shopping in general, and even more so when it's busy. I prefer Target, honestly.

But Walton was a HUGE supporter of the local university and Wal-Mart has donated a lot of money to the business college. So, for that reason, I'm a fan.
    Last edited by RLastInstallment; Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: laptop decided to post before I was ready...

I hate it, don't shop there, but the times i have I feel like I have to come home and take a shower.
    Also, some things are cheaper but they make it up on other items. I shopped there once in lieu of my "upscale" grocery store to really see what I would save. When it was all said and done I think I saved like 6 bucks.