The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Everybody hates Walmart. That's how it became the world's largest retailer.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

4 members found this post helpful.

My kids have been trained to say "Mom, don't do it! Remember, you told us never to let you go there!" after the handful of times I "just ran in" to get one thing and stood in line forever, then ranted to the kids "never ever again!"

And that's just the issue of the slow service and long lines. Add in the other reasons and it's easy to stay away.

2 members found this post helpful.

We never go so it is off my radar. However, they are trying to abandon their present filthy location in town (they're the ones who let it get that way) in favor of building a superstore across town. The surrounding towns told them to get lost, so now they are trying to make this move. The town usually helps those well-connected politically, and this seems to be another one of those cases: the president of North America Walmart is a graduate of the town's high school. Despite bad feelings running high in the community, the town council approved the move so now the grocery store across the street has filed an appeal in the courts. We hope they win. Hubby's company used to sell to Walmart, but they are slow or non-existent about paying their vendors for their products once they have sold off of the shelvs, so the company stopped selling to them. According to the vendors, Walmart is a dirtbag company that doesn't pay its bills.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

5 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I've been to a Walmart twice in my lifetime. The first was at a distant horse show and it was the only open store that carried the odd assortment of items needed--not bad late at night. The second time convinced me that it is hell on earth in the form of a retail store. Ugh. Cheap crap, crappy food, craptastic people shopping there. I despise their employment practices and they have demonstrably run local businesses out of business here in the PNW. Several towns here have literally banned them from building!

I shop at Winco, Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger), Trader Joe's (love it!) and a small, local produce store.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

3 members found this post helpful.

Without getting into any of the politics of Walmart, our's isn't half bad, & we save quite a bit of money there. We've been shopping there for 15 years, & there are about a dozen of the same employees still working there. Everyone is friendly & helpful, regardless of what time we pop in.

They carry the exact same Perdue & Shady Brook Farms poultry products for at LEAST $1 less, & since we only eat poultry, seafood, & veg dishes, we save quite a bit over the long run. Brand-name items like Barilla pasta etc. are also a buck or more less per pkg., & the savings on brand-name canned goods & non-food items are also impressive.

We've also purchased our Xmas goose there the past several years. The exact same brand as the neighboring supermarkets carry, for a bit less per pound. And this past Xmas we were late to the party, & Walmart was the only store that still had any geese in stock. I also love fresh goat cheese, & again they carry the exact same brand as neighboring markets - Walmart price: $4; other markets: $7. Oh - & their plain cheese "take & bake" pizzas are respectable as well. I like the fact that they also make them in a 12" size - I can buy 2 & gussy one up to hubby's specs (he loves turkey pepperoni) & make my favorite - onions & anchovies, which he hates - for myself.

I also get huge bags of potting soil, mulch, etc., etc., there every spring for a helluva lot less than Lowes/Home Depot want. VERY comfortable, nice-looking, "Dr. Scholl's" leather sneakers for $22 to knock around in?? Love them.

In addition, they donate truckloads of fresh meat & poultry to our local food pantry, & with their lower prices, we're able to buy & donate more to the food pantry ourselves.

Place is clean, there are always an adequate number of cashiers open, etc., etc.

They've done well by me, & obviously by the employees who have been there (at least at our location) for an eternity. No complaints here.

I despise Walmart. For the longest time, it was the ONLY grocery store in town. Katrina chased the other two away. Within the past few months, 3 new grocery stores opened up. Plus, we have a brand new grocery store in the town I now live in (built a new store because the old one was sadly outdated and small). But the problem is that I just can't find everything I need at the other stores. They're smaller than Walmart, so they just don't have the variety. I only make a trip there once a month or so now. At least that's what I'm trying to stick to. Its hard to break a 5+ year old habit...

Cranky said
    I've honestly only been to WM once. I wasn't impressed, so I haven't been back. I shop at various grocery stores in my area, Target and Trader Joe's (and the occasional farm store).
    And now we have a Trader Joe's in New Hampshire!!!!!

Not a fan. I only go there when they have something I just can't find elsewhere... It's been about 5 years now since I've been there.

I don't like their labor practices, their vendor-payment practices, or most of the merchandise. I do know that there are people who really don't have another choice, but I do, and my choice is to not shop there.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Hate it. I haven't shopped WalMart in years. I did go in one Christmas for gift cards as it is the only option for some of my relatives. I ended up fleeing without the cards. It was dirty, disorganized and had lines out the wazoo at the registers. Give me Target any day and twice on Sunday.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I HATE Walmart and only go there as a last resort! I also HATE Costco because I live in a town that borders the Canadian border and all the Canadians come down and use our store. The parking and lines in both stores is horrific and I would rather pay a higher price to not have to deal with it........BTW ~ I do not hate Canadians just the long lines created by there coming here to shop
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I guess your WM stores are worse than ours. My BIL was a manager for them before he retired, and while he didn't love them, they still treated him better than the grocery chain that he worked for before. I've known plenty of people who worked at them locally and, while not a dream job, their experiences aren't as awful as some of the stories I've heard.

The stores themselves are ok. They've redone both of the older stores (we had the first SuperCenter) and they're far from unpleasant. They are also pretty generous in donating to my school, so I like that about them. Our Target is the one with stupid long lines and lack of stock on the shelves, plus higher prices to boot.

Me, though, I love Aldi. I save huge amounts of money by shopping mainly at Aldi. I can also get in and out MUCH faster than anywhere else, which I really appreciate.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

A new Wal-Mart grocery store just opened by me. I am planning to go check it out tonight, but I do not have high hopes.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I don't love Wal Mart but I also don't hate them. Its our only option unless I want to drive 30 minutes. We do have another grocery store in town and I shop there occasionally but it is more expensive and not that nice.

1 members found this post helpful.

They built one down the street from my first farm and destroyed the neighborhood. I never go to Walmart.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not a fan and I did not shop there in my pre-child days BUT...if you have two hours to:

pick up a few groceries
    buy some hardware type items
    new kids shoes
    a birthday present for an upcoming birthday party your kid has to attend
    feed lunch to said children

The only place you can accomplish this in one visit and thus avoid schlepping children to 3 or 4 places thereby making them and me increasingly cranky is, sadly, Walmart.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Oh, I'd give up a minor organ to get a Costco in my area, filled with Canadians or otherwise. I would do the same for a Trader Joes at which point I'd be fairly compromised on minor organs, but a very happy shopper.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    Cranky said

And now we have a Trader Joe's in New Hampshire!!!!!
    I go to the TJ's in Nashua all the time!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

We don't have any other close by grocery stores here than three Walmarts.

There are two United and one Albertsons, but you have to drive into town in all that traffic, so out of reach for me.

Our Walmarts have been there long time, practically all the people working there have been the same for years, I know them, they know me and no one ever complained any more than others do here about their job, any job, that are never good enough.
    Not one of them complain because it is Walmart and so no good.

I go about 6-7 am once a week and there is no one there at that time.

Yes, some times the fresh stuff is not as good as others, but the same can be said about the fancy Boston Market United store in the middle of town I rarely get to go to with my neighbor.

A grocery store is a grocery store.

I think that there are places where Walmart is better than others, for what I have heard, so we can't really call all bad.

A friend has a part time business selling trinkets to grocery stores, those you see hanging in the aisles and she tells me all stores are basically the same, good when they have a run of good managers and employees, at times needing an upgrade, all of them, it is the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    A new Wal-Mart grocery store just opened by me. I am planning to go check it out tonight, but I do not have high hopes.
    They stuck one of those in my community. I haven't been, but some friends who checked it out said it's pretty much the same iffy produce, leaky iridescent meat, and surly staff as in the large stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    They stuck one of those in my community. I haven't been, but some friends who checked it out said it's pretty much the same iffy produce, leaky iridescent meat, and surly staff as in the large stores.
    Boo hisss.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.