The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your black Volants will be absolutely fine. The only time I have seen someone not pinned due to rider attire was a rider in a polo shirt at a show that specified "proper attire required" in the prize list.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

In all my years of showing - since 1971 - I've only *once* seen a rider not used because of her attire. It was at a summer show and it was over 90 degrees. Jackets had been waived. The rider in question, however, was wearing a rather immodest tank top and dickie under her show coat, and she actually went into the ring in the tank top. This was in a flat class.

Rider was not used, and as she walked out of the ring, the judge said to her, "I have three words for you: proper. show. attire."

Otherwise, as long as you're in neat, well-fitting, conservative attire, I don't think you'll have a problem. The black Volants shouldn't be an issue. I've seen plenty of people go into the ring with paddock boots and half-chaps (the kind that are boot-like, like the Tredsteps) and it hasn't affected their placing.
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

To think I was nervous after reading all the past COTH posts about show attire... You have all made me feel much better.

Now instead of worrying about me looking like an idiot, I just have to worry about my horse being an idiot in the show ring. If we can make it through without me being tossed off or too many spooks, I will consider our first show a success.

Truth is, the "fashionistas" of the world may have something to say to you about your boots.....but screw 'em. The judge probably won't even notice and certainly won't care.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Hunter: Horses- no running martingales; no standing martingale in under saddle or hack classes (including combination hacks); no bell boots or brush/splint boots - if the weather is lousy (wet muddy etc) judges/management may allow boots; no fig 8 or flash nose bands; stick to full cheek or D bits, pelhams ok too
    There is nothing in the rules to specifically prohibit running martingales.
    A judge may or may not consider it unconventional.

In fact 25 years ago or so you saw many horses go in running martingales.
    It's really all fashion. Goes round and round.

And of course the FEI prohibits standings and so does USEF under many conditions in jumper classes as safety issues.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    it was a long time ago....
    It was a hack class and I'm not sure how it happened, but all I know is that the class had been over for a while and I wasn't even on the horse anymore when I was told I was disqualified.
    Never had a proof that someone told on me, but that's what another girl of the university riding team said.
    And to think you let hearsay turn you away from a wonderful discipline. Sad.

Honestly, how in the world did you "know" you were going to get 2nd, and "know" that someone told on you and you got "disqualified?"

That's like the person on the spotted horse that blames all failures to win ribbons on the spots...when there could be perfectly legitimate reasons that they didn't place.

FWIW OP: I've only heard of one person saying they know they were disqualified for having unconventional tack (black instead of brown). I am still dubious, based on the fact that black tack used to be seen in the hunter ring (Crosby Corinthian, anyone? Man, I wanted one soooo bad in the 80s) and because the story came from someone who wasn't a fan of hunters in general. Maybe the judge really did tell them they didn't use her because of a black saddle...or maybe there was another reason they didn't place.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

As a judge I disqualified a person for wearing a martingale in a hunter under saddle class. They had refused to take it off despite the in gate person reminding them before they went in. Weird!

This is from the 2013 rule book, HU section:
    HU125 Tack.
    1. Regulation snaffles, pelhams and full bridles, all with cavesson nose bands,
    are recommended. A judge may penalize for non-conventional types of bits or nosebands.
    2. Competitors may be refused an award unless they return to the ring for conformation or soundness with the same complete bridle in which they have performed.
    3. Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes. Standing martingales are allowed for all over fence classes. All other martingales may be considered unconventional.

Personally, I think the rules above should be read as "the judge probably will penalize", versus "may". Depending on the number of entries in the class and the rating of the show, "may" could result in no ribbon.

Also new this year, there is a rule change that disqualifies riders in equitation classes if they enter the ring with black stirrup irons. I found that one interesting as I really dislike the black irons.

Quote Originally Posted by au_panda View Post
    Also new this year, there is a rule change that disqualifies riders in equitation classes if they enter the ring with black stirrup irons. I found that one interesting as I really dislike the black irons.
    Does this apply to only the all black stirrups that are now popular, or also to stirrups like HSs?
    ~*Paige*~

No detailed description of "black stirrups" is in the rule book. People have been using the chrome stirrups with black rubber at the hinge of the pad for years. To my knowledge, this has not been penalized. I'm thinking they mean the stirrups that are all black.

This rule change was approved in January 2013.
    EQ110 Appointments
    Chapter EQ - Equitation Division, Subchapter EQ-2 Hunter Seat Equitation Section]
    add new:
    4. The use of black stirrups is not permitted in any Equitation class. The use of black stirrups will automatically result in elimination.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    As a judge I disqualified a person for wearing a martingale in a hunter under saddle class. They had refused to take it off despite the in gate person reminding them before they went in. Weird!
    I've done that if I've entered a greenie in a division populated by small children on school ponies. I'm there to school, not snatch a $3 ribbon out of the hands of babes.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapoze View Post
    To think I was nervous after reading all the past COTH posts about show attire... You have all made me feel much better.

Now instead of worrying about me looking like an idiot, I just have to worry about my horse being an idiot in the show ring. If we can make it through without me being tossed off or too many spooks, I will consider our first show a success.
    Good for you and BESTEST of luck! The best piece of advice I received when I showed up for my first show with my new horse was "don't worry about the ribbons, just have fun and believe in you and your horse."
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I was standing beside the judges booth at a A rated show in Los Angeles - first day of the show - morning classes - 2 highly experienced trainers in back to back rounds were called over to the judges booth after their gorgeous Conformation Hunter rounds and chastised and not placed for their horses wearing front boots into the ring. They were both embarrassed as I guess they and the grooms forgot??? Judge was not pleased indeed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mimimalone View Post
    I was standing beside the judges booth at a A rated show in Los Angeles - first day of the show - morning classes - 2 highly experienced trainers in back to back rounds were called over to the judges booth after their gorgeous Conformation Hunter rounds and chastised and not placed for their horses wearing front boots into the ring. They were both embarrassed as I guess they and the grooms forgot??? Judge was not pleased indeed!!!

Boots and martingales are the two I've seen people actually get dinged for. I think a lot of the other stuff is pretty speculative (judge didn't like my black tack, etc.) Every time I've seen that be an issue, the judge specifically TELLS the rider that they got in trouble for the tack.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

DD is an eventer but went to a local (as in, not rated and also nearby) hunter show just to get some miles on a new horse. The ring steward MADE her take the running martingale off her horse before going in the ring. We asked if we could compete HC (not judged) and were told no by the ring steward because it "wasn't safe", whatever. Decided not to make a scene and just took the martingale off. That was the ring steward though, I don't know if the judge would have allowed it if we had made a big issue out of it.

DD was almost dinged this summer for not having her collar buttoned in the classic class of her jumper division. It was scorching hot and she had a migraine and had been vomiting right before she rode and we forgot to button her up. Judge called up to the ring steward and said if he'd noticed before she finished he would have disquailified her. Close call since she ended up winning the class. No more loose collars for her!

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    We asked if we could compete HC (not judged) and were told no by the ring steward because it "wasn't safe"
    Sounds like the idiot trail riders I know around here......

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    DD is an eventer but went to a local (as in, not rated and also nearby) hunter show just to get some miles on a new horse. The ring steward MADE her take the running martingale off her horse before going in the ring. We asked if we could compete HC (not judged) and were told no by the ring steward because it "wasn't safe", whatever. Decided not to make a scene and just took the martingale off. That was the ring steward though, I don't know if the judge would have allowed it if we had made a big issue out of it.
    I can't imagine a dressage show or event allowing you to use a standing martingale, even to go HC, so I'm not sure why you're annoyed the hunter show expects you not to use a running. Either throw a standing on, or enter the jumpers.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    I can't imagine a dressage show or event allowing you to use a standing martingale, even to go HC, so I'm not sure why you're annoyed the hunter show expects you not to use a running. Either throw a standing on, or enter the jumpers.
    But the rules for Eventing specifically prohibit standing martingales, while the rules for Hunters say that martingales other than standings "may be considered unconventional." That, to me, means permitted but the judge is more than likely going to ding you for it. Runnings are safer to jump in than standings, and if someone wants to go in for a hunter trip in one, fully understanding that they're not going to pin, it wouldn't bother me one whit.

Not DQed but told after class by judge at schooling show I would have won but got second because I had a flash on my horse. (horse was strong and new to me - used to going in a flash) So ooh well....

Not DQed but told I should put a second rein on a pony I was showing for a trainer that had a kimberwick like this on -

http://www.bigdweb.com/KIMBERWICK-UX...ductinfo/1533/

I still could not figure that one out.

As far as boots; I really like the Treadstep zip up boots. I have both the Da Vinci and Donatellos and they are both great for such a reasonable price. Oh and agree with the RJ classic Hunt coats... I have one I think I paid 175.00 and it's beautiful. RJ classic breeches are no good - don't hold up but as much as you wear a jacket they are well cut.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!