The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    I think a rider was DQ'd at upperville GP a year or so ago for no stock and unbuttoned collar.
    Attire requirements for GP jumpers are different than Hunters.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Gee pine tree, I've ridden both disciplines for 45 years so I think I have the differences down.

The point is that if a judge is willing to DQ a GP competitor for,attire, you will likely find some hunter judges out there similarly strict in the hunter side so it pays to follow the rule book as closely as possible.

2 members found this post helpful.

The point is that if a judge is willing to DQ a GP competitor for,attire, you will likely find some hunter judges out there similarly strict in the hunter side so it pays to follow the rule book as closely as possible.
    It's not a question of the judge being "willing" to follow the rules. Judges are SUPPOSED to follow the rules. If the judge chooses to overlook a rule regarding equipment or required attire, another exhibitor could protest it, which results in headaches all around.

I think a rider was DQ'd at upperville GP a year or so ago for no stock and unbuttoned collar.
    Jumper riders don't wear stocks. She was disqualified for having her collar open and either not having it snapped or not having a choker (depends on the kind of shirt). VERY disrespectful to go in that way for a big class like that when it specifies formal attire.

That's a different ballgame from the hunters, though!

I haven't been DQ'ed for it but I did a hunter show a while ago (I mostly did jumpers at the time and now do mostly dressage) and I got a stern talking to regarding my use of brown rubber reins that matched my bridle (rubber reins are the most normal reins I can ride with usually due to arthritis). I was told they were not acceptable for hunters but was allowed to continue. I know many people don't like them but I was suprised since I found no mention of it in the rules. It was just mileage for my horse and I knew we were not the top competitors so it didn't bother me but certainly was memorable.
    My blog:

RAWR

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    because it happened AFTER the prize award ceremony...
    Honestly, OP was asking for feedback, I told my story and I know it's hard to believe what happened, trust me I was the most annoyed. It's fine that you don't believe me. It was a low level show with not many riders in the class, there really was no reason to brag about finishing 2nd, and it's certainly not what I intended to sound like... If you can find someone that was in the Augusta State University riding team in 2000, they might even remember as everybody was pretty pissed. If you do, let me know, cause I've lost contact with all of them and would love to get back in touch

I had something similar where I went in three classes in a division - they had a silver belt buckle for high score in the division. I asked prior about the division because is was not on their prize list; and management said I would be fine. Went in show, won three firsts, won buckle.... one week later show manager called me and said I had to give the buckle back because I should have entered in four classes....

I still show Hunters but never under "that" show management.

My hubby said pay them the money for the fourth class and keep the buckle - - even if I would have not placed in the fourth class I still would have won the buckle via the points..... I did give the buckle back.... who would want it after that anyway....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Jumper riders don't wear stocks.
    If your implication is that stocks are not allowed, see below

USEF JP111
    7. Formal Attire. Black, blue, green, grey, scarlet or similar coats are permitted; white or fawn breeches; a white tie, choker or hunting stock, and a white or lightly colored shirt must be worn. Shirts must have a white collar and white cuffs.

I never said they can't, I said they don't. As in, you don't see people wearing them in the jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    This website has some nice coats on clearance for under $200: http://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/ista...=3&dept=CLEARA
    I suggest posting this in the Steal-of-a-Deal thread.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I HATE the look of a shirt collar undone and folded back over the coat collar!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have two pairs of Volants. Love them. For me life is too short to wear uncomfortable boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapoze View Post
    I actually have both pairs of Volants, red side-zips and black back-zips (and yes, I love them!). I might risk wearing the black ones to a show, but my trainer would probably have a coronary.

Quote Originally Posted by myvanya View Post
    I haven't been DQ'ed for it but I did a hunter show a while ago (I mostly did jumpers at the time and now do mostly dressage) and I got a stern talking to regarding my use of brown rubber reins that matched my bridle (rubber reins are the most normal reins I can ride with usually due to arthritis). I was told they were not acceptable for hunters but was allowed to continue. I know many people don't like them but I was suprised since I found no mention of it in the rules. It was just mileage for my horse and I knew we were not the top competitors so it didn't bother me but certainly was memorable.
    Interesting. When I switched from eventing to hunters I never switched my brown rubber reins and nobody cared. Still won multiple year end awards and placed well in medal finals. Finally switched them out for regular reins this past year though when they wore out! I showed hunters with them for 4+ years

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking711 View Post
    Interesting. When I switched from eventing to hunters I never switched my brown rubber reins and nobody cared. Still won multiple year end awards and placed well in medal finals. Finally switched them out for regular reins this past year though when they wore out! I showed hunters with them for 4+ years
    Because the rules don't mandate that you have to be penalized, you find that you never experienced a penalty where someone else did. It also depends on the level you are showing at.

I don't think most higher level hunter trainers would let their rider into the ring with rubber reins, but I suppose it happens.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Schooling circuits are the most tricky where equipment is concerned. If a show is allowing polo wraps or boots in hunters (because many of the horses are lesson horses used to going in wraps) it gives the impression that (say) an unconventional bit or reins or martingale might also be OK. We all know not to walk in the hunter ring at an A show with pink polos and a flamingo patterned saddle pad, but when the trip before you is decked out thusly you can't help but figure that your flash or your 1/2 chaps won't be penalized.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90380

These coats fit a curvy figure too. They do come in "plus" sizes as well if you have enough chest to warrant it.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post

I don't think most higher level hunter trainers would let their rider into the ring with rubber reins, but I suppose it happens.
    My trainer let me school in my beloved pastel rainbow rubber reins at a horse show last weekend. Her husband was working in the office, saw me in the ring, and came down to inquire about my tack choices. He looked at me and said, "You're not REALLY going to horse show in those, are you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    My trainer let me school in my beloved pastel rainbow rubber reins at a horse show last weekend. Her husband was working in the office, saw me in the ring, and came down to inquire about my tack choices. He looked at me and said, "You're not REALLY going to horse show in those, are you?"
    Always the rebel.

At least they arre the pastel rainbow reins.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"