The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I was DQ's from a hunter show in Georgia 10 years ago having "unauthorized" boots, they were riding boots, imitation leather but not leather. I was an exchange student at the time and in the US for only a few months, didn't want to invest in super expensive boots.
    I was told after the class that I was DQ'd even though I was going to place 2nd. That's when I decided that the hunter ring wasn't for me... I was pissed cause I later learned that the judges hadn't even noticed but that someone had gone and "told" on me... great spirit right there...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    I was DQ's from a hunter show in Georgia 10 years ago having "unauthorized" boots, they were riding boots, imitation leather but not leather. I was an exchange student at the time and in the US for only a few months, didn't want to invest in super expensive boots.
    I was told after the class that I was DQ'd even though I was going to place 2nd. That's when I decided that the hunter ring wasn't for me... I was pissed cause I later learned that the judges hadn't even noticed but that someone had gone and "told" on me... great spirit right there...
    Who could have "told" on you, its not like there is a stream of visitors coming up to chat with the judge while the class is going on. Was it a hack or jumping class?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If you decide you want to do more than the occasional hunter class, I would think you could easily find a decent pair of conventional field boots on Ebay or consignment (or one of the many online places, like TOC, Premier Tack, etc.) The Volants are pretty "out there" for the hunter division, IMO.

Same thing goes for hunt coats. You can get the top brands for under $200 if you search a bit. When I moved last year, I sold ten or 12 Grand Prix and Marigold coats, for an average of $100-200 on TOC. Some of them still had the tags on them.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Who could have "told" on you, its not like there is a stream of visitors coming up to chat with the judge while the class is going on. Was it a hack or jumping class?
    it was a long time ago....
    It was a hack class and I'm not sure how it happened, but all I know is that the class had been over for a while and I wasn't even on the horse anymore when I was told I was disqualified.
    Never had a proof that someone told on me, but that's what another girl of the university riding team said.

Thanks All! Lots of good feedback. MILOUTE55, I totally believe someone was vindictive enough to squeal about synthetic-leather boots. Shame on them! There are cutthroats out there everywhere.

The hard part with finding show coats & traditional field boots is that there are only 2 small tack shops in my state and they don't have much stock on hand. I usually order everything online and I have already returned 2 pairs of field boots and one show coat for sizing issues. It's hard to judge quality when you order online, but that what I have my COTH people for.

Inexpensive traditional apparel is MUCH better than expensive unconventional apparel
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Can anyone show me in the hunter rulebook where synthetic boots are illegal?

There is no illegal tack in the hunter world. There may be unconventional tack. Trainers often use lower level hunter classes to warm up horses for clients, they might jump in elevator bits, drawreins, etc. They use the class for warmup and do not expect to be placed.

[SIZE=3]HU125 Tack.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]1. Regulation snaffles, pelhams and full bridles, all with cavesson nose bands, are recommended.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]A judge may penalize for non-conventional types of bits or nosebands.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][SIZE=3]2. Competitors may be refused an award unless they return to the ring for conformation soundness with the same complete bridle in which they have performed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]3. Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Standing martingales are allowed for all over fence classes. All other martingales may be considered unconventional."

HU126 Equipment

Boots, Wraps and bandages are prohibited. In case of inclement weather management may permit the use of bell boots.

Competitors are prohibited from carrying a whip that is longer then 30" while jumping or schooling over fences. No exhibitor may carry a whip longer than 30" while competing

[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    If you decide you want to do more than the occasional hunter class, I would think you could easily find a decent pair of conventional field boots on Ebay or consignment (or one of the many online places, like TOC, Premier Tack, etc.) The Volants are pretty "out there" for the hunter division, IMO.

Same thing goes for hunt coats. You can get the top brands for under $200 if you search a bit. When I moved last year, I sold ten or 12 Grand Prix and Marigold coats, for an average of $100-200 on TOC. Some of them still had the tags on them.
    Quick question ... what is TOC?
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Hunter: Horses- no running martingales; no standing martingale in under saddle or hack classes (including combination hacks); no bell boots or brush/splint boots - if the weather is lousy (wet muddy etc) judges/management may allow boots; no fig 8 or flash nose bands; stick to full cheek or D bits, pelhams ok too
    Rider: if you have a navy dressage coat,as long as it's not frock style, you could probably use that for hunters. If you are showing at unrated/schooling shows, your Volant boots should be okay. Beige breeches; no stock tie. They won't throw you out on attire unless you have 1/2 chaps (rough leather) or chaps on generally; or showing in collarless shirt...

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Wear the black Volants. Who cares. The judge shouldn't be worried about your boots in the hunter ring. Remember, a few years ago everyone thought the GPAs shouldn't be used in the hunter ring either because they were weird looking.

As long as the boots are black and therefore not distracting from the "whole picture" and you're not planning on showing in the AAAAAAA's, whatever you're fine.
    I consider myself a "fashionista" but I also agree with this 100%.

Last edited by GoGrnRideIrish; Feb. 7, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by Seal Harbor View Post
    1) if you are well liked by the local trainers or the back gate person who knows something, they will say something to you before you go in the ring with boots, or martingale or flash, equipment that isn't supposed to be on a hunter for the particular class.

2) some people will go in the ring to get the horse around and schooled and it doesn't matter which ring, as long as the horse/rider is eligible. If they go in the ring with an elevator bit for a trip in the hunter ring they don't care about the ribbon, they care about getting the horse a good school. They have paid their money and get to go in the ring no matter what. They pretty much know they won't get used.

3) Rider's apparel - no one cares, unless the person is in imminent danger of being unclothed at some point.
    Not sure if this was in response to me or not but the girl was there for the points to win. She had done the jumpers right beforehand but competed for the hunter points and complained afterwards about her placing so she did not do it for a school

I find it extremely odd that show hunter "tradition" is so diametrically opposite now from real hunting, where wearing field boots (only correct during cub season and informal days) and no stock tie with formal attire is a gigantic faux pas. And will get you excused from the field in hunts that are sticklers for correct turnout.

Most strange

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapoze View Post
    The hard part with finding show coats & traditional field boots is that there are only 2 small tack shops in my state and they don't have much stock on hand. I usually order everything online and I have already returned 2 pairs of field boots and one show coat for sizing issues. It's hard to judge quality when you order online, but that what I have my COTH people for.
    Buy a nice hunt coat on ebay (maybe a Grand Prix?) and take it to the local tailor The boots are trickier, but if your volants are black you'll be fine to show.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    It is my very personal belief that far too many fashionistas think the judges actually give a crap about brand, style, and in some cases, color the rider chooses. I understand hunters (in particular) are deemed traditional (although I'd hate to think what one or more of my trainers would have said about what is seen in the ring these days), but if a judge had EVER marked me (or any of my students) down based on the above, that would have been the last time they ever saw my $$.

Well-fitting, appropriate colors and style.

Carol
    ^^^ This. If what you are wearing is clean and fits reasonably well, the judge will not give it a second glance. I think your Volant boots are too cool for school and you should wear the black ones. No way will a judge mark you down for those. -- Possibly at the AA shows a judge might think they look a little out of place, but mark you down? Nope. And at 1 day or local shows, you will look really cool in them.

Hell, the judge will think you just got off your jumper and ran over to ride your hunter~~
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    In the USEF Talent Search the rider is usually buzzed out while on course for wearing a standing martingale. They usually announce it as an equipment violation.
    That is because in the class specifications, they are specifically listed as being not allowed. Different than the hunters where things are left a little open - stating, as others have said, that you will be penalized but not down right eliminated for "unconventional tack".

OP - I don't know what kind of coat you have, but I wouldn't bother getting a new pair of boots. Especially if you are only doing the local or schooling shows, the black ones will be totally fine. I'd even go so far as to say you're fine to wear them at a rated show. It's not something I would do because I enjoy having a certain sort of appearance.....but it's for MY own sake, not anyone watching, not even the judge. Honestly, the judge doesn't give two hoots what boots you're wearing. They could be $2k customs or off the rack ones that cost $100 - as long as they are of an acceptable color and fit, don't worry about it. The only ones who will be caring that you're wearing something considered "unstylish" will be the railbirds ... and who cares? Unless you're dressing for them or worried about their opinion, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Any judge that knocks you down or doesn't place you for wearing Volants clearly isn't worth their salt. The only time something like that might come into play is if two horses have EQUAL trips, and the judge uses something of a personal preference as a tie-breaker. It happens...but not that often, so I wouldn't worry about it!

I can't speak to placing or not in the Volants, but I love my Dublin dress boots. I foxhunt in mine. They're comfy to wear all day both on the horse and on the ground. I abuse the daylights out of mine and they still clean up beautifully.

Best of all, they're under $200.

I think the black volants will be fine, especially for hunters. And if you're just playing at it, you can probably wear a coat that you use for dressage, especially if the buttons aren't metallic. In equitation the judge will be looking at your apparel a little more, so you might worry more about conforming at that point.

If you end up having to buy a jacket, buy a nice plain navy or other dark color and you'll be able to use it for dressage & eventing with no worries.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    it was a long time ago....
    It was a hack class and I'm not sure how it happened, but all I know is that the class had been over for a while and I wasn't even on the horse anymore when I was told I was disqualified.
    Never had a proof that someone told on me, but that's what another girl of the university riding team said.
    If this was an IHSA show (you mentioned university riding team?) no way were you disqualified for synthetic boots. There is no "illegal" tack at all in IHSA, never mind boots. I have seen horses show in gag bits (I mean a literal gag bit - not an elevator although I have seen those too), german martingales, and a mikmar all from one particular school.

Anyway, back to OP: show in the Volants until you feel like you are being penalized for them. What I mean is there is no point in spending money on new boots until you feel like your rounds are nice enough that your boots would be what keeps you from pinning. If your first few hunter shows are mostly schooling rounds wear the boots you like! Then when you feel like you need another pair I second what people have said about looking around for a used pair. I know a lot of people get leery of ebay, but I have a friend who got used custom Konigs that fit her perfectly from ebay.

I have never heard of anyone being dq'd for what they themselves were wearing! As long as you are within the "norm" you are good and honestly, even if you are slightly off the "norm" and your horse goes really well, you will be ok. I really think the poster who had on the synthetic boots was not eliminated for that reason! Everyone needs to know the rules because you will be eliminated for violation of those rules, ie: too long a whip, boots in hunters, martingale on the flat, etc. Often times you don't realize you are eliminated because they will let you do your trip.
    I was at a hunter show once where the judge told an exhibitor, by way of a show staff member that the she would be eliminated if she showed in the kimberwick she had on during the warmup. Correctness of tack and clothing is what it is all about, not brand names or what it is made of.