The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I hadn't even thought of Speed Queen. There's a couple of dealers nearby, I'll have to call or stop in to check prices.

I'm not a fan of fancy electronics. I like plain old dials- less to go wrong. When I start reading reviews on the fancy expensive washers, it seems like the electronics are an all too common repair.

1 members found this post helpful.

Buy a used top loader that uses ALL THE WATER. We got a brand new Maytag (or was it Whirlpool?) top loader without an agitator, it had the water-saver thing that is now on most washers.When our old Kenmore broke and we put it in I was so stinking excited. Well. It was crap. It didn't get DH's (oily, dirty) clothes clean, it didn't get DS's diapers clean (we cloth diaper and he was still on breast milk then--so nothing really hard to get out). So we repaired the old one and returned the new one! When we moved out of that house we left the Kenmores behind but now have (again, an older) a Maytag. LOVE IT. My mom has a Maytag that she's had my entire life and even before I was born--so over 30 years old. She loves it. She's had different parts repaired but she won't part with it. I don't blame her.

Shakeytails-I love that Speed Queen is only sold through local dealers, and that means that it is possible to negotiate too. I do know after reading a bunch of washer/dryer discussions that I want a top loader, and an agitator. I also like the stainless tubs and drums. I'm not sure many dryers have plain metal, but I understand the coated ones are very tough.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I love my front loader. I have ever ever had a problem with mould/mildew or a funny smell and my clothes have the odd time been left in overnight. My washer cleans everything, including my dirty horse clothes and saddle pads, polos, coolers, etc. I can stuff it with ten bath sheets, or put a tiny little load of delicates and it does an awesome job.

I think that the brand does make a difference, ours is a miele and it heats the water from cold each time, you set a water temperature rather than a cold/warm/hot setting. In my experience they last for ever. I have them in my kitchen side by side and I love that I can have the counter space above them, plus the convenience of having my laundry in the room I am in most often. The only real downside would be the price.....

Quote Originally Posted by RegentLion View Post
    Buy a used top loader that uses ALL THE WATER. We got a brand new Maytag (or was it Whirlpool?) top loader without an agitator, it had the water-saver thing that is now on most washers.When our old Kenmore broke and we put it in I was so stinking excited. Well. It was crap. It didn't get DH's (oily, dirty) clothes clean, it didn't get DS's diapers clean (we cloth diaper and he was still on breast milk then--so nothing really hard to get out). So we repaired the old one and returned the new one! When we moved out of that house we left the Kenmores behind but now have (again, an older) a Maytag. LOVE IT. My mom has a Maytag that she's had my entire life and even before I was born--so over 30 years old. She loves it. She's had different parts repaired but she won't part with it. I don't blame her.
    I had the same problem with the Whirlpool I bought even though it was top rated by Consumer Reports. I took a picture with my 40 year old Maytag that I replaced and it makes me so sad that I got rid of it. I thought I was being eviromentally friendly buying a new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Re: Speed Queens. They are not sexy. They have dials. They are not silent, but they aren't monstrously loud, but I don't think 'whisper' when I think SQ. But dang that sucker is speedy and it...WORKS!
    So you're happy with it? I have been observing your appliance angst from a distance but I'm happy to hear (I think) that you're happy with it.

I'm still going strong with a 20 year old top load Kenmore that we got for $25 (with a free jug of Tide and the matching dryer) from a guy on craigslist four years ago.

But maybe some day I will buy a new appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    So you're happy with it? I have been observing your appliance angst from a distance but I'm happy to hear (I think) that you're happy with it.

I'm still going strong with a 20 year old top load Kenmore that we got for $25 (with a free jug of Tide and the matching dryer) from a guy on craigslist four years ago.

But maybe some day I will buy a new appliance.
    i lourve that thang

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    i lourve that thang
    It's the champagne... you brought it into the household correctly...

Lol i should try that more often!!

I will warn your next horse and dog.

I have a front load washer/dryer set from Kenmore when front loaders were just getting popular. They're about ten years old. Never had a maintanence issue with them.

The washer does get moldy smelling but I use the washing machine soap (I can't remember what it's called right now but it's in the detergent aisle) and that fixes the problem. I do leave the door open when I'm not using it as well.

I usually cram it so full that the door barely shuts and it washes everything well and dries them without problem. I have the He3t model. They are several generations newer now.

One precaution that is a definite must for whatever kind of washer you get is to get the metal hoses. If there is a water pressure surge, or some other pressure change it will keep the hoses from letting go and causing a flood.

I love my LG front loader (cant recall the model got the paperwork in an other room). The only problem I have is when I over load it I get dog fur left on the wash I just did. But if I remember the size of load and don't over do it no dog fur (have 4of then so lots of fur).

I have had then for about three maybe four years and before that had a front loader waser/dryer combo. that we got because my old washer died horrable death, the bottom fell out...after 28years of service. But the that one we gave to our son when he left for school.
    Friend of bar .ka

We have LG frontloader - like it well enough. Yes, there is a smell if you don't leave the door open - after drying the gasket - for several hours. Don't much like that aspect, but it's not in an area where leaving the folding doors open so the washer door can be ajar is a problem.

Unless you're short (VERY short), having it on the floor would be awkward, and the 'risers' are ridiculously expensive - so Ed built ours out of wood. They work just fine and you don't have to stand on your head to get the stuff out.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

With my LG's I bought the pedestals, however they aren't tall enough to put full jugs of laundry detergent in there. I find that totally irritating.