The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Front load or top load washing machine?

My old Kenmore is almost dead. Just recently it's started to leak a bit- it hasn't been spinning clothes as dry as it should for at least a year now. The dryer is fine, but I'm thinking about a matched set. They owe me nothing- I think I paid about $150 for the set from a Sears scratch-and-dent outlet about 20 years ago.

We can't really afford new, so I was looking for used. I'm seeing used front load sets for under $800, top load a bit cheaper.

I love the look of front loads, and it would be nice to have the entire top surface space to use as a counter top area. But I'm concerned about longevity. Is it a pipe dream to think I'll get 20 years out of a front load?

We don't do a lot of laundry. DH's clothes are nasty dirty and oily- he works in a factory welding. Mine are lightweight and mostly clean (nurse). No kids, and I'll only wash lightweight horse laundry like saddle pads and sheets in my home machine, and that's pretty rare since my at-home horses are usually nekkid. If I have to wash heavy blankets, they go to the laundromat HD machine.

Thoughts?

I am sitting here right now, waiting for my new washer and dryer to be delivered (at least they gave me a two hour window -- between 10:30 and 12:30.) My old set was Frigidaire, and I was so happy with them, that I went out and got another when the washer died. The old set got very hard use, with all the horse stuff I washed in them. I'm restricted because I have limited space to put the washer and dryer in, but I managed to get a set with a bigger drum than the old one, though I still don't think I'll be able to do turnouts in it. Anyway, if you can find a used set I wouldn't discount it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I haven't had anyone that does a normal amount of laundry tell me they were happy with their front load in the long run... There's a thread about it in Off Course I think, too.
    Quarry Rat

HATE my front load. I have had to have very expensive repairs twice in the 8 years that I have owned it. They don't tell you this, but you can't wash anything rubberized (like rubber backed rugs) in them because they stop the water from draining and the centrifigal force rips the drum off during the spin cycle.

They are very finicky--too much clothes and they won't drain, too little and they won't spin.

And don't get me started about the mold!

What I wouldn't give to have my old top load back! 15 years without a problem (and then I moved to my current place that doesn't have the space.)
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

1 members found this post helpful.

Really? My set was front-loaded and I loved it. There is no way that I would go back to a top-loader, even if I had the room. I had no problem with mold, maybe because, even with the old top-loader in the basement, the cover, or door, was always left open for several hours so that things could dry out.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a brand new top load Speed Queen with agitator that is a clothes washing MACHINE. It is ugly, it is plain, it is simple, and it gets clothes CLEAN.

Less than $800 brand new. They three top load models, I got the middle one.

LOVE me some Speed Queen.

If I wanted a front loader, I'd get a SQ again- but I'm not willing to spend 1500+ on a washing machine.

I would avoid a front loader like the plague. RAMPANT MILDEW and MOLD!!! I bought a top of the line LG front loader a few years ago and regret that choice everyday. You basically need to pull the clothes out of the washer within minutes of the cycle ending to avoid the smell permeating the fabric. Very unhappy.

The door must stay open when not in use and it is still stinky

DH's clothes are nasty dirty and oily
    Mr. Fillabeana's clothes are also always dirty.
    I came to the conclusion that only a water-hog top loader would clean his clothes on my budget.
    I talked to a knowledgeable fellow at HOme Depot a few years back, he told me that a typical consumer front load machine would never get the dirt and cow poop out, I needed the whole tub full of water, and stopping the cycle to soak the clothes for a few hours would really help.
    He also said that if I wanted to get the clothes really clean, to buy a commercial (front loading) machine. They do sell them, without the quarter slots, to put into your house. When we build our new house in another year or two, I want a commercial washing machine. Then, I can wash regular clothes, horse blankets, saddle pads, sleeping bags, comforters...just maybe not all at the same time!

A top loader is the way to go for me. I have a set of LG front loaders, but they are definitely high maintenance. I have to keep the door open at all times, dry the gasket and door off after every use, and clean the little pump filter out every month or so. I like the way they clean, but I don't have particularly dirty clothes, or overstuff the tub either. I also have a really big laundry room, so I can leave the washer door open all of the time without it getting in the way. If I had a laundry closet, then I would have to leave the doors open, and that would look bad.

Remember all dryer need the lint screen cleaned every few months. Even though it looks clean, the invisible lint and residue from dryer sheets and detergent build up and a clean screen can be solidly blocked. The way to recognize it's time to clean it is when the dryer doesn't seem to be drying as well as it should, the dryer gets hot, or in the case of my stainless tub, you start seeing a lint film. Just take the screen out, hold flat under water and see if the water runs through or not. If the screen needs cleaning, then run warm water, wet the screen, and scrub gently with a nylon brush.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I have a set of LG's too. The drum on the dryer recently started to split, ie the welds were breaking and we just bought another drum and changed them. I hate having to leave the door open, dry everything, move the little fabric softener cup so it too can dry. Also you can't add anything once it get's started like you can with a top loader. When these go, I'll go back to a top loader.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I have a brand new top load Speed Queen with agitator that is a clothes washing MACHINE. It is ugly, it is plain, it is simple, and it gets clothes CLEAN.

Less than $800 brand new. They three top load models, I got the middle one.

LOVE me some Speed Queen.
    Second the Speed Queen! I have the same model (same thing as the base unit but with an extra rinse button). Those machines are beastly and built to last. I love how minimal it is. It gets things clean and that's what I need. Made in the USA and comes with a 3-year warranty and no extra cost!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

FRONT LOAD... hands down!!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

I have a pair of Samsung machines, both front load, and I have nothing bad to say about them. Love the high capacity. No mold or smelliness at all, but I leave my door open when not in use.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have looked online, and there is a Speed Queen dealer near me! I will definitely check them out when the time comes to replace my current ones. I used to like Maytag, and have had three different sets over the years (I don't move them, but leave them with the house when I sell), and they were pretty good, but I'm not sure who actually makes them, and how good they are now.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Re: Speed Queens. They are not sexy. They have dials. They are not silent, but they aren't monstrously loud, but I don't think 'whisper' when I think SQ. But dang that sucker is speedy and it...WORKS!

I have a set of Fridgidaire front loads that I've never had a problem with in 15+ years. Family of 4 plus horse laundry, but not blankets.

I have a front load washer and haven't had any problems with it. We've had it for 10 years now and it is still going strong without any repairs. Its been moved up and down California and Washington so it's pretty rugged. I don't have problems with mold but like the others, I leave the door open when it's not in use. That being said, my next machine will be a top load because I am getting tired of having to kneel down to get the clothes into the dryer. Or I will get a stackable.

I've had both and each has its advantages. I have a front loader now and I am, overall, happy with it. However, my next washing machine will be a top loader because the front loader just doesn't clean as well as the top loader.

With respect to durability, I've had my front loader for at least 10 years, and I've never had a trouble with it. I don't have any trouble with mold/mildew, probably because I always leave the door hanging open when I'm not using it. However, I do have a problem with crud building up in the folds of the door seal so I have to remember to wipe it out on a regular basis.

I will have top load super/king size next time I'm in the market to purchase. I loved my last set. While front load always seemed really nice, my boss made a really good point in a conversation a month ago when she pointed out that once the front load starts you can't really open it to add more

My MIL has a Kenmore top load with a really huge drum and it can fit just about as much as my front load. When it gets unbalanced it's easy enought to stop and rearrange the contents, it doesn't spin them as dry but I've never had to run a short wash just to get the spin cycle either (the front loader doesn't have just a spin cycle - the next model up did though). I'd have bought the same model, but hers was only four years old and DISCONTINUED, so I went with a front loader. It does have a soak feature and also a heating element to get the water temperature really freakin' hot. So far it can handle pig muck and a certain amount of grease - the detergent has a lot to do with that.

The only problem I see with used is that we had a '95 model Kenmore and DH had to become a washing machine repairman. We did a lot of jeans and stuff and a particular gear in the spin apparatus was made of plastic. After enough use the teeth just sheared right off, that happened twice in 13 years so about every six years. The dryer was OLD, avocado it was so old, that's '70's I think, and it ran faithfully until he had to take it apart and rewire the heating element. THAT by the way looked very much like the old elements in our electric stove - little wire coils that broke, hook them back together and they worked again.

From what I hear the dial ones work longest. They have mechanical parts that can take the washer environment better than motherboards and chips. I still like my Bosch front loaders but they are only five years old.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible