The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default :BN Three day questions????

Well, I think I have a horse that can or will do a 3 day. This year is too early, so I'm looking at next year (Southern Eights.)

Can someone tell me what was your biggest surprise, best thing about it etc. I plan on volunteering at one or two this year to get a feel, but I would love opinions.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

1 members found this post helpful.

Please assure me that no one has instituted a Baby Novice three Day!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Yup. A few years ago now. The earth, near as I can tell, is still on its original axis.
    Click here before you buy.

7 members found this post helpful.

Why, merry? Would this apocalyptically ruin your life or affect you in any way?

Hey, OP, I will be helping run the event this year, so would love to meet you if you can volunteer. You can PM me with any questions you have. We are currently putting together some information from everyone who is helping run the event to release so people can hear from the judges, course designer, ground jury, all of us, before May.

This will be my first year at this one, but I've done Waredaca's long format in October for multiple years. Volunteering is an excellent idea, I have learned SO MUCH that will help me when my horse is ready, so I won't have that deer in the headlights look many entrants have when we start to teach them how endurance day will work.

The greatest offering I have seen is (1) the quality of the educational content, as well as quantity, enabling each group of riders to step up their horsemanship and REALLY know their partners and (2) the teamwork and camraderie that forms every time with so much generosity and a very special vibe that makes it so much more than a horse trial.

I have not done the BN ones with my horse as it seemed a lot of money to pay for not even having jumps on steeplechase -- I think I only did one or two BN events with him before moving him up anyway. But our N3D at Waredaca in 2012 was great for the riders there. I confess I just love seeing the big grins on Phase D and each group feels like our little ducklings that grow up over the 3 days and it is great fun watching them learn and discover what the long format really was.
    Last edited by wildlifer; Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarity

3 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

BN 3day is silly. I know it's only IMHO and some may call me elistist for it, but the skills that are being tested for a 3DE don't belong at a level that is an "introductory" to the sport, for horse OR rider.

That said, to answer the OP question, wow... um... everything? The partnership that deepens with the 3-day, with all the work needed to get to that level, is incredible. The biggest surprise IMHO was how Steeplechase affects a horse going out on XC (in the most positive way).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm all for perpetuating the sport of eventing, period. It's never too early, IMO, to begin thinking about and learning the requisite skills (clock management, fitness, how to handle a tired horse, how to handle a FIT horse, feed changes, personal fitness and preparation, riding at speeds faster than we normally do, etc. etc.)

For some people BN *is* a pinnacle. They may have been riding for 30 years and are anything but "beginners" in that sense, but the bigger jumps are just not for them. More power to them. Jumping smaller jumps because that's one's happy place is NOT tantamount to being an inferior rider or horseman. It is an entry level ONLY FOR SOME riders.

Seems to me people were at one time looking down their noses at Training 3 Days. Now they're about the only remnant of the sport in its original format. So phooey. Long live the long format!

Wasn't it none other than Denny Emerson who said he'd rather do BN than not ride at all? That would be my sentiment, too. And someday that might be me. I would sign up for a BN3D in two heartbeats if that was my level and I had the time and the horse to be competent and safe. So when I'm 70 or 80 or hell, maybe even 48 (one can NEVER tell when life might throw a curveball) I'd love for the option to still exist.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    BN 3day is silly.
    IMHO, your attitude is silly.

What better way to GROW the horsemanship of our lower level riders? WHY wouldn't those skills they learn in "conditioning" and prepping for a long format be beneficial, even if they are "only" "introductory" level riders? To what detriment do you believe a BN 3DE will contribute? Better horsemanship? Better partnership? Better preparation as the pair moves up the levels? A fitter horse and rider?

Silly.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

6 members found this post helpful.

Have to disagree with you, tle.

These days many competitors do not have time or access to education - how to properly condition, how to "pace yourself", etc. Hell, David O'Connor is reminding riders how to WRAP!

Why not a Beginner Novice 3 day? It isn't hurting anyone else, or taking something away from other competitors.

The more education that starts at BN the better!

5 members found this post helpful.

tle, we all start somewhere. And there is no better place to start your "career" in eventing (REGARDLESS of the level you are going - a BN career to me, is just as amazing as an 'I' career - the love of the sport should not be displaced by your level competing) than in the lower levels - in BN you learn all the prerequisites you need for upper level candidacy -- timing, fitness, horse care, and eventually, expertise. IMO, your condescending attitude towards your "lower" peers is silly -- it is likely those who participate at the BN levels are better horsemen anyway - they are the people that feed their horses in the morning and turn them in at night... They are rarely the coddled, peddling people who live in the lap of luxury and compete at high levels without the necessary horsemanship learned. Why wouldnt a 3DAY BN be beneficial? Why cant the people who have the desire to love and compete our sport but not the will/want/care to go "higher" be endowed the same competition format as their upper-level peers?

BN is the introductory level in which all sportsmen learn - it is the first step towards a career path with horses - regardless of the place or the level you finish. If there is a new avenue opening up for 3 DAY BN, then by all means, it sounds fabulous - there is no better tier to learn the true factors of EV than in the "introductory" level.

And, for the record -- I'd rather have a lower level 'horseman' over an upper level rider any day. (:

EVENTER55, To your original post - I definitely would volunteer like you said you were going to.. In addition to giving back to the sport we all love, it is also a great opportunity for you to learn the machination behind the 3-day without any of the 'penalties' or show-costs associated. I've learned a lot more volunteering at shows than I have competing - and I attest that to the fountain/wealth of knowledge in your TDs, locals, volunteers, and judges. Every single one of them is here to help!

6 members found this post helpful.

I just did a Novice/BN 3 day educational clinic with Joe Meyer at Meadow Creek Park in Texas and I learned so much. My horse is very green- never even jumped a novice fence and they did have to make adjustments to the steeplechase fences for me and a few others. But they did it, and it was awesome. I loved galloping and having it marked off and really understanding how to make the time in a controlled setting and having the opportunity to correct myself. . Though I have ridden prelim- a long time ago- I probably will only go as far as Novice/training at this stage and really would love the experience of doing a three day even if it was at BN. I would do BN right now if one was closer to me...as is, I will have to be going Novice to do the one in Texas.
    My biggest surprise was the adrenaline rush. It drained me. I was on cloud nine for one week. Also, after galloping the brush fences- my horse was very bold and did novice type jumps the next day, which was very cool.

2 members found this post helpful.

Can someone tell me what was your biggest surprise, best thing about it etc.
    Yeah, sorry, your original question was lost in all the righteous bristling.

I have done a N3D, a T3D and almost all of a CCI* but have never done a BN3D, so any specific questions related to that level would be out of my jurisdiction. (but hey, what a cool thing to do--every level!)

My insights on the other levels would be that I didn't have any real surprises because I did my homework. Read Sally O'Connor's book on the 3 day event, Jimmy Wofford's, and I have another old one by Heinz von Opel that is awesome. I made an absolute obsession out of getting the feel of interval training, heart rates, recovery times the first time around, because although the CONCEPTS were not foreign to me, learning how it works for the individual horse is important. And WHAT a great thing to learn about one's mount!

I became obsessed with footing, and have never quite let that lapse. I learned that *I* had to be a little fitter. I learned that a horse feels different when it's very tired. I learned that an ultra-fit horse can be a very different ride, as well!

Best thing about it? I don't know--the feeling of accomplishment, the sense of having crafted and brought about something long and labor-intensive and seen it through, maybe? (my T3D actually had SJ cancelled due to being rained out and I had to retire in the 10 minute box of the CCI* because my horse tied up, so "finishing" is only something I've REALLY ever managed with the N3D!) I am not one to wax poetic over bonding with one's horse, because that happens out on your 30 minute trot sets as much as it does on phase D, but there's that, too.

And dang, it's bloody FUN! FIVE DAYS spent at a horse show, are you kidding me?

9 members found this post helpful.

Red face

Consider me thoroughly chastened.

That's what happens when someone who competed when Novice was a low as it went and 3Days started at Prelim wakes up and realizes times have changed.

Back to the "enter at A" world.

But, that funny sound you hear is Jack LeGoff spinning.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I'm of the opinion that Jack LeGoff would heartily approve of keeping any act of horsemanship and the sport of eventing alive, but since the man is dead I guess we're all free to "spin" what he may or may not think (were he in a position to opine) however we choose.

When they introduced the T3D I felt the same. 3-days are an upper level thing, dumbing down the sport, blah blah blah.

But here's the thing. Upper level riders (as a group) don't want to do 3 days and don't enter them. Lower level riders do want to do them, and do enter them. With upper level 3 days pretty much gone, why kill the lower level ones too? If it's not worth your time/money to do one, no need, but I don't see that it harms the sport overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    When they introduced the T3D I felt the same. 3-days are an upper level thing, dumbing down the sport, blah blah blah.

But here's the thing. Upper level riders (as a group) don't want to do 3 days and don't enter them. Lower level riders do want to do them, and do enter them. With upper level 3 days pretty much gone, why kill the lower level ones too? If it's not worth your time/money to do one, no need, but I don't see that it harms the sport overall.
    Well count me among those who hope to be "dumbed down" someday.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Juice and I are currently training for our Elementary 3-Day. He fears my fitness level will be an issue, but is optimistic.

ps- haters are gonna hate!

Also keep in mind (and I have experienced this myself), that sometimes the horse you have is only physically capable of so much. My horse had a heart bigger than anything and tried his best for me. Unfortunately, his body had limits. I made the mistake of asking too much once and we both were injured and I am still paying the consequences.

I am lucky that he can still do lower levels and he is teaching someone else with great joy, b/c he is my heart horse. Kind fortune allowed me to get a young horse to bring up, but if it hadn't, my old buddy and I would be out there at BN all day long -- because just riding him at ANY level is a privilege.

SmartPak Equine USEA Classic Series Extended to Include Novice and Beginner Novice Three-Days
    February 6, 2013
    http://useventing.com/sites/default/...y%20factor.jpg
    Starting this year the SmartPak Equine USEA Classic Series will be extended to include the Novice and Beginner Novice Three-Day levels. The Series will now encompass every classic format event in the U.S. from Preliminary to Beginner Novice.

Hi Merry,
    I'm pretty sure this article from USEA says Beginner Novice three-Day, BN for those just landing on this planet stands for Beginner Novice not Baby Novice, but carry on. . .

To everyone else thanks for the advice (and the snarkfest. . . )

I'll reread posts and respond again when I have more time.

And one more thing, you (anyone) might like to know I did my first ever year of recognized eventing 2 years ago at the age of 56. I rode a horse that one of my 5 instructors (no one wanted to work with us) told me to sell or get rid of. I landed at my current instructors and went on to be reserve champ in Area II, a silver and gold medal, local Champion and on the leader board all year in the amateur and master amateur divisions. I'm currently working with a horse that was going to slaughter and it's all I can afford.

I agree with Denny. Sorry of I don't fit into the perfect mold and what happened to what David said about all of us working together????

Rant over, thanks again to all of you with positive "stuff"

Last edited by Eventer55; Feb. 7, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

4 members found this post helpful.

Good luck, Eventer 55. I think it's a fantastic opportunity and I hope you'll post often about your progress.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Consider me thoroughly chastened.

That's what happens when someone who competed when Novice was a low as it went and 3Days started at Prelim wakes up and realizes times have changed.

Back to the "enter at A" world.

But, that funny sound you hear is Jack LeGoff spinning.
    Having known him....you are right....BN heights and specs for horse trials are introductory, true. But that is why we like this sport, it allows for growth and learning and you have a place to go with your horse once you master one level and are capable to move up. It is was differentiates us from the H/J world, I think. (The educational component.) But Jack is having a hearty laugh (I can hear it now!)
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com