The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Synthetic biology

What are your thoughts on this? I am not sure what I think but do find it a bit scarry.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...-goat-genetics
    M
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

I think it's super, super cool. There are already organisms who have been genetically modified in ways that are not so eye-opening as that goat; the University of Guelph has a pig that, IIRC, can digest plant phosphorus more efficiently than your typical pig and as a result, is easier on the environment.

Some people aren't big on genetic modification, but I think it's interesting and could lead to some really big developments.

I think it's just awesome. Scary sure, there's potential for it to be way scary - but come on, we live in a world full of nuclear weapons and for some reason people aren't freaking out about that on a regular basis. This has so much potential!

1 members found this post helpful.

Pretty amazing, though it makes me wish I had done something cool and meaningful with my life.
    Impossible is nothing.

I think the science is cool, but I am afraid that given the propensity for humans to desire power over the lives of others, that this type of knowledge will by used in ways that may alter the course of life on this planet.

Hopefully something more "wise", will arise to bring guidance and purpose for life to strive towards into the distant future.

I believe the universe contains an innate "pattern" that guides probability, and that once the ability to "shape" life begins, that there will only be one overall trajectory of survival that life will meander towards to remain existent.