The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Again!! A note to all those who are ready to rip my throat out...., or felt that I was denigrating those at Beginner Novice.

"Hi Merry,
    I'm pretty sure this article from USEA says Beginner Novice three-Day, BN for those just landing on this planet stands for Beginner Novice not Baby Novice, but carry on. . ."--Eventer 55

My congratulations to you for starting now.

When BN first started appearing, It was known as Baby Novice. I'm talking of a time almost 35 years ago. Some events called it Pre Novice. And back then, in the 'thrilling days of yesteryear" Three Days started at Prelim, and the only time anyone faced Advanced courses was at a Three Day. So not only have I not " just landed on this planet", I've been playing over obstacles and walking courses for a long time. Just not recently.

Enough said!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

How about those of us who are so old we remember when T was the lowest level? And was stupid even to think of (but be talked out of) entering my first event at P because, after all, it was only 3'6" & that's what the A/O hunters are.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ah, the fabled days of yesteryear, when men were men, all horses were 17.3 h rogue steeplechasers who never ate anything but oats and grass, we ate nails and spat thumbtacks, and scoffed at weakness.

I was around the horse world back then, too (although a foxhunter, not an eventer) and I'll stick with the 21st century, thanks.
    Click here before you buy.

6 members found this post helpful.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Well, I think I have a horse that can or will do a 3 day. This year is too early, so I'm looking at next year (Southern Eights.)

Can someone tell me what was your biggest surprise, best thing about it etc. I plan on volunteering at one or two this year to get a feel, but I would love opinions.
    My biggest surprise was the amount of mental fatigue I experienced throughout the entire process of prepping and then competing in my first Three Day. Looking back, I guess it was to be expected given the amount of time and energy invested in getting my horses and myself fit/ready to compete with no guarantee that we would actually make it to the competition, but it really caught me off guard. The best piece of advice I can give is to accept the fact that you may go a bit mental and start obsessing about your horse's health, soundness, weight, eating habits, bathroom habits, turn-out behavior, sleep schedule, shoeing schedule, saddle fit, every weird lump or bump that mysteriously appears or disappears on a random body part, yadda, yadda, yadda. You may want to warn friends and family as well. My poor husband, bless his heart, was probably ready to find a place to bury a body when his fairly well balanced wife morphed into a mental basket case before her first Three Day. Forewarned, he was prepared the next time with plenty of kleenex and chocolate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

2 members found this post helpful.

Canterlope,

I already obsess about Tessie's weight, poop, etc., etc. My DH will not know what to do with me, if I become more obsessed.

I am looking to do the BN 3-day next year. If this makes me "silly", then so be it!

I usually ride at Team Challenge, but may spend some of the time down there, this year, helping with the 3-day. I know that Mary can always use the help.

Right now, I am totally clueless about how to correctly use my watch and understand pace. If working towards doing a BN 3-day will help me better understand these things, then bring it on!

For the folks, who are acting like DQ's and Hunter Princesses:
    I may be a silly, BN smurf, but I want to be the best horseperson that I can be, for the level at which I feel comfortable going. If you believe that this is below you, then you do not need to be there to help those of us who want to learn.

Eventer55,
    I hope to be at Southern 8ths next year, too. Maybe we should start a COTH, BN 3-day group? We could keep track of our progress and help each other?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post

Right now, I am totally clueless about how to correctly use my watch and understand pace. If working towards doing a BN 3-day will help me better understand these things, then bring it on!
    It will. Clinicians are there to educate and there will be multiple talks and walks and rides to help you understand the different paces, etc. :-)

It will. Clinicians are there to educate and there will be multiple talks and walks and rides to help you understand the different paces, etc. :-)

Canterlope,

I already obsess about Tessie's weight, poop, etc., etc. My DH will not know what to do with me, if I become more obsessed.

I am looking to do the BN 3-day next year. If this makes me "silly", then so be it!

I usually ride at Team Challenge, but may spend some of the time down there, this year, helping with the 3-day. I know that Mary can always use the help.

For the folks, who are acting like DQ's and Hunter Princesses:
    I may be a silly, BN smurf, but I want to be the best horseperson that I can be, for the level at which I feel comfortable going. If you believe that this is below you, then you do not need to be there to help those of us who want to learn.

Eventer55,
    I hope to be at Southern 8ths next year, too. Maybe we should start a COTH, BN 3-day group? We could keep track of our progress and help each other?
    I'm in, I have a great husband and he keeps me in line when I get cranky. I was a mess at the Regionals, but made it through and my friends are all really supportive. It's a long way away, but I like to plan ahead. My horse will do her first year at BN this year and we'll see if she has the right stuff. She's an OTTB with the perfect build and temperament (Murphy be gone.)
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Ah, the fabled days of yesteryear, when men were men, all horses were 17.3 h rogue steeplechasers who never ate anything but oats and grass, we ate nails and spat thumbtacks, and scoffed at weakness.

I was around the horse world back then, too (although a foxhunter, not an eventer) and I'll stick with the 21st century, thanks.
    This made me snort!

I have an honest, sincere, heartfelt question, especially considering my feelings on this level of three day is changing (I'm all "follow your bliss" now, where I used to be "BN Three Day?!? Blasphemous!"). How much fitness do you REALLY need for these levels? I am very familiar with the fitness needed for P3DE/one star, have helped a few horses get fit for T3DE, but I honestly can't comprehend how much you really need to do for a BN Three Day, especially on a TB type. How long is everything? It seems that the average horse should be able to what my guess of the competition really is on basic, 5 days a week type work. Am I way wrong?

All I can picture is people doing the type of fitness needed for a T3DE and being mounted on fire breathing dragons at BN!!!

Of course the level of fitness is going to be much, much less for a BN3D. My point, however, was that one has to learn the value of planning fitness work eventually, if one really wants to feel like they are not just idle participants in the sport.

Because yes, it's possible to pull a horse out of a pasture and do BN with little to no risk to the (average, healthy) horse. And maybe there are people who will do that for a BN3D and even get away with it. But MORE THAN LIKELY, the people who choose to participate in this venue--and remember it is voluntary!--are going to probably take it a bit more seriously than that and spend the time, and read the books, and do their trot sets, and make mistakes, and under train, and over train, and LEARN FROM THIS. And maybe do it differently, or better, if and when they move on up.

Which is what horsemanship is all about, no?
    Click here before you buy.

Here's my take on this issue -

Back in the day, I spent a lot of time quietly sneering at people who were never going to get past jumping 2'6", which was foolish even then, because those folks were my bread and butter.

And I remember that days when USEA recognized events started at Training, and you had to go find local Pony Club horse trials to do something less challenging.

Now? The world has changed, and the fact of the matter is, most amateurs are juggling jobs and families along with their riding. The reason why BN and N are flourishing, and Intermediate and Advanced are shrinking and are 90% pros, is because of *time.* It takes a lot of time to properly prepare and condition a horse for an outing at Training or even Novice, and many riders simply can't make that time committment. I would rather have them cruise around and have a blast at BN than attempt Training on an unfit or unprepared horse. The reality is, there's a lot of nice riders who are going to spend their entire careers at BN and N because they'll never be able to devote the kind of bulk time to their horses that would allow them and their horses to advance.

There's something similar going on in hunterworld. If you can only ride 2 days a week but you still want to show, you're probably going to end up doing a 3' division. And that's fine. Because you're not going to be able to develop the skills you need to jump around at 3'6" riding 2 x a week. That's why those dvisions are popular, not because people are wimps and don't know how to ride.

I think a BN 3DE is a brilliant idea. Let people have the 3 day experience without scaring them or hurting them. Maybe they'll learn so much and have so much fun they'll figure out how to make a bigger committment to the sport.

To the OP - Hope you have a blast! And please report back on your experience.

3 members found this post helpful.

I dont think it would take an extreme level of fitness to do a BN 3day, but if I did it on my pony, I think I would have to go about it differently than if I did it on my TB cross. From the numbers that Joe gave us at the clinic, it did sound like horse in regular work could easily complete it- especially if they were the TB type. For me, its an opportunity to do it at a level that I am comfortable at. I would rather do it at Prelim, sure, but hey, if I get a chance to do it at BN...I am going for it!

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Since I am of the mind that I would rather ride a fire breathing dragon in dressage than a huffing-puffing tongue hanging out pony at the end of Phase D, I err on the side of more rather than less fitness work for the Beginner Novice-Training Three Days.

If you are going to the Heart of the Carolinas, Phase A and C are the same speed and distance for all three levels (3520 m @220 mpm and 4000 m @ 160 mpm respectively) and Phase D is run at the fastest speeds allowed for each level. Given this, you really don't want to skimp on your horse's fitness regardless of the level. For sure a Beginner Novice horse will not need to be as fit as a Novice or Training horse, but you don't want to be too far behind either. I used the same fitness program for my Novice and Training horses as I did my Preliminary horse back in the day with no adverse effects.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Oh my god I love this!

I'm pretty young in the history of eventing (in my twenties) and I always try to stop a powerful eye rolling when people start talking about "the good ol' days". I stop the eye roll because I respect their experience, but when I look at videos of eventing in the 1930's and such, with horses flinging themselves over ridiculous obstacles, I'm pretty sure my horse would be happier loping around BN with me.

Quote Originally Posted by canterlope View Post
    Since I am of the mind that I would rather ride a fire breathing dragon in dressage than a huffing-puffing tongue hanging out pony at the end of Phase D, I err on the side of more rather than less fitness work for the Beginner Novice-Training Three Days.

If you are going to the Heart of the Carolinas, Phase A and C are the same speed and distance for all three levels (3520 m @220 mpm and 4000 m @ 160 mpm respectively) and Phase D is run at the fastest speeds allowed for each level. Given this, you really don't want to skimp on your horse's fitness regardless of the level. For sure a Beginner Novice horse will not need to be as fit as a Novice or Training horse, but you don't want to be too far behind either. I used the same fitness program for my Novice and Training horses as I did my Preliminary horse back in the day with no adverse effects.
    Thanks for that info. That was what I was curious about. I figured A, B, and C would be significantly shorter for BN, which is why I questioned how much fitness is really required for such a thing. Honestly, it still isn't a great deal (it equals less than an hour's worth of work with a 10 minute break and 16 minutes- give or take- of walking. BUT, I can understand and see the educational side of the fitness work.

For some people BN *is* a pinnacle. They may have been riding for 30 years and are anything but "beginners" in that sense, but the bigger jumps are just not for them. More power to them. Jumping smaller jumps because that's one's happy place is NOT tantamount to being an inferior rider or horseman. It is an entry level ONLY FOR SOME riders.

I would sign up for a BN3D in two heartbeats if that was my level and I had the time and the horse to be competent and safe. So when I'm 70 or 80 or hell, maybe even 48 (one can NEVER tell when life might throw a curveball) I'd love for the option to still exist.
    ^^^^^ WHAT SHE SAID!

I know you, EV55, and I am betting that you will be there with rings on your fingers, and bells on your toes! You go girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I'm in, I have a great husband and he keeps me in line when I get cranky. I was a mess at the Regionals, but made it through and my friends are all really supportive. It's a long way away, but I like to plan ahead. My horse will do her first year at BN this year and we'll see if she has the right stuff. She's an OTTB with the perfect build and temperament (Murphy be gone.)

"....most amateurs are juggling jobs and families along with their riding. " exactly.
    Any level that gives folks the opportunity to enjoy eventing - WOO HOO!

OP, I think it's awesome you are striving for the BN3D as a goal. 3D are a ton of fun. Your position will never have been better bc of the additional time in the saddle. Check with your trainer and sit down and write out a schedule.

HAVE FUN!

To the OP, thank you for the post. I too am working towards competing at next years So8s event at BN. I was in the very first event there and while the end result was not good for me, I had such a good time it lit a fire in me to one day go back. The BN xc course is not soft at all, but it is fair and a well trained horse will enjoy the romp.

To that lady who used the phrase baby novice then tried to defend it with "Well that's what we called it back then"... please...Its been called Beginner Novice long enough for your brain to comprehend and use the current term. Your comment was condescending and did nothing to either support a developing rider or well represent the sport. By now I should just not bite on the trolls, but I've worked to damn hard to get where I am to let some "I remember when" snob look down on my efforts or the effort of any one starting out in the sport today. Not every starts out as a kid, not everyone is born jumping 4' bare back blind-folded and everyone has jumped 2'7" along the way to some loftier goal. So back then they did not do it at a show, today they do; enough with the attitude.

Anyway, I love that So8s provides the opportunity to introduce the rigors of a three day at BN. For those wanting more in the future it provides a means to learn without as much pressure. For those like me who may never get past novice it means I can get a taste of Eventing that is slowly slipping away and the added bonus, I work that little bit more to ensure me and my horse are more fit which will help at regular shows.

So I look forward to seeing you there (though I wont know who you are) and am going to enjoy the journey of getting there as well.

Deltawave...well said. Thank you.

5 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone, JP60, Ann, et al and especially you DW my dental floss is not made out of piano wire so I need all the support I can get. I sat down with my instructor and told her I was thinking about this and she was thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. Interestingly enough, she comes form the era where you "ate nails and spat thumb tacks" and she was on the olympic team waaaay back then. She immediately wanted to know the speeds and all the distances etc. This may not come to fruition, but I can dream can't I?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."